Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Issue with CD Player

Old 02-06-2011, 03:52 AM
LarryMac
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with CD Player

The factory battery finally laid down on us on our 2007 Sport trac. I replaced the battery and now the audio system does not recognize that it has a cd player. The media selection button will pull up the am, fm, and satellite radio. You can press the cd load button and it will show error. I know that the unit had 4 cds loaded at the time it quit working. I have disconnected the battery twice thinking that the computer needed resetting, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 AM
caswell
New User
I have exactly the same issue on my '07 Escape!

I've read a few posts about pulling the stereo and opening the top...with warnings that extracting the CD's in this way will most likely ruin them.

Surely someone knows how to fix this.

J.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
You might try entering the audio system diagnostics. I have the process for the in-dash 6-disc system in the 2004, I'm not sure if it will be the same for the 2007.

NOTE: To enter the speaker walk-around test or audio unit self-diagnostic mode, the audio unit must be turned on and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM).

1. To enter the speaker walk-around test, simultaneously press the audio unit preset buttons 3 and 6.
2. The speaker walk-around test stops at each speaker and applies sound to each speaker for about one to two seconds . Each speaker is tested and displayed on the audio unit in the following sequence: RF, LF, LR, RR and SUBWOOFER.
3. To exit the speaker walk-around test, turn the ignition switch off, turn the audio unit off, or press preset button 1 for DIA.
------------------------
AUDIO UNIT SELF-DIAGNOSTIC MODE - CD6
1. To enter the following tests, press the desired preset button while in the speaker walk-around test or while in the audio unit self-diagnostic mode.
2. To exit the audio unit self-diagnostic mode, turn the ignition switch or the audio unit off.
3. If the concern remains and the fault is not detected, proceed to the Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures
4. The self-diagnostic mode has 6 manual tests available:

o Preset button 1 = ENTER DIAGNOSTICS. This test enters audio self-test from the speaker walk-around test. Press tune > button after the audio self-test to display diagnostic trouble codes.
o Preset button 2 = View continuous DTCs press tune > to scroll through the DTCs.
o Preset button 3 = SIGNAL STRENGTH.
o Preset button 4 = Software configuration level. This test queries each radio system controller for its software configuration level Press tune > to scroll through software levels.
o Preset button 5 = DISPLAY TEST. This test lights all the display segments for 5 seconds and then turns all segments off.
o Preset button 6 = MODULE CONFIGURATION. Press tune > to scroll through configuration list.

5. To exit the self-diagnostic mode, turn the ignition switch off or the audio unit off.
6. If the concern remains and the fault is not detected, proceed to the Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures
-------------
-Rod

Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 AM
LarryMac
Freshman User
Thank you shorod, I'll do this first thing this morning. I forgot the truck had system diagnostics........big brain fart on my part.

I'll post what I find out.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Comonzo
New User
So LarryMac - what did you find out? I'm very curious to know. I have the same problem with my own CD player and bet you the battery replacement is the same problem (replaced 2/2012). Purchased the vehicle in June and was told the CD player just doesn't work. I researched fairly extensively and also found murmorings that perhaps burned discs (home created) cause problems as well. Low and behold, when I extracted the CD player from the dash, I found a burnt disc in it. So I pulled it, cleaned the white cable connecting the CD player to the tape deck, but alas, no dice. CD player still did not work. I plan to try the diagnostic test in the morning tomorrow, but I also am unsure it will fully apply. My unit is a 1 disc player. Nearly all of the 'non CD playing player' discussions I have found surround multi-disc players. Perhaps I've just not located single disc solutions as of yet.

Good luck to you!