1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Anyone using a Turbo Diesel Life Saver from Diesel Site?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 AM
powerstrokedieselfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone using a Turbo Diesel Life Saver from Diesel Site?

Im thinking about picking one up for my 94 PSD but was wanting to know of others experience if any at all with it is. It seems like a good investment and everything else I have got from Diesel Site has been top notch and easy to install

Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
In Texas it would be illegal to walk away from your vehicle with it running. Or the doors unlocked. Either one could get you a ticket. Seriously. I know some other states have that law too. I don't see a purpose for it though if you use some common sense. Just idle it a couple minutes if you think it's hot.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
How bout a link.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had one on mine but never used it and took it off.. With how good oil is now its not really necessary in my opinion. One time I came out an hr later and the truck was still idling!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 AM
kawa
Postmaster
I've had mine on for about 2 years. when I get out of the truck I lock all of the doors. It has never failed to shut the truck down when EGT's reach 600* IIRC.

I like the units but in all fairness the truck usually shuts down before I get to far away from it as I'm always fiddling with something in the bed or 5er.

Rog

Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Wow, 300 dollars.

Looks like an overpriced gimmick to me.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=878

If you just read the wording on this stuff it screams of Gimmick.

"Automatically cools your turbo"
Thats not true. It does nothing to cool your turbo.

Claims a pre-lube for "most" trucks, well we know thats not possible with ours, great job copy and pasting the info for this one.

Funny how it claims that any "gauge" based systems are faulty and this is far better.

Here is the cheapest solution.

Wait 30 seconds after you stop and then turn your truck off.

No reason to idle your truck for 2 minutes to cool it off.
Remember, this will lead to a TOTAL ENGINE MELTDOWN! if you dont use this product.....

*sigh*

Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Unhappy

That's a great write up William! Do you have any articles from trusted persons to back up your claims or are these once again your assumptions based lack of Talyn research?

In my opinion......your points are mostly baseless.
Happy new Years William.

Rog

Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by kawa
That's a great write up William! Do you have any articles from trusted persons to back up your claims or are these once again your assumptions based lack of Talyn research?

Rog
I just went from the information on his website and compared it to common sense. Thats all I did.

False claims and lies to sell products works.
It's as simple as that. This isn't a bad product, but 300 dollars with a bunch of BS info to sell it isn't worth it.

But just like you said Rog, you don't get to far away before the truck shuts off while using this unit.
So just idle for a few seconds and shut it off. People always in such a hurry for no reason at all. You simply just do not shut off a spooled up turbo, duh!

Bottom line is, false advertising.

Just like it says, if you don't use this, you'll have total engine meltdown.
WTF is that?

And it doesn't "Automatically cool your turbo"
thats a lie too.

Plus the page says that a gauge based system wont work as well as this.
So, a gauge measuring the temperature of your oil or exhaust is going to give false signals to shut off the truck? Get the **** out.
False signals?
Unless the system fails its going to send fairly accurate information that would do the same thing as this 300 dollar timer unit.
Or better yet.
Spend the 300 dollars on some good oil and a bypass system, and sit in your truck for a few seconds while the turbo spools down, then shut it off.

Sorry, I just hate Gimmick products to make money. The advertisement on the page for this one just screams that its mostly a gimmick.
I can see its uses, but its all hype for the page to get you to shell out 300 dollars.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
BTW, I understand the use of this product and what its for.

Just want to point that out.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
powerstrokedieselfan
Senior User
All of yalls points are well taken. Their is alot hard selling on thier page about that unit and I agree everyones in to much hurry these days. Ill let my truck idle 5 or more minutes before I roll in the mornings depending on the temp and ill let her idle a few minutes before I shut her off . My attraction to it I guess is that im drawn to extra gadgets at times

Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstrokedieselfan
Im thinking about picking one up for my 94 PSD but was wanting to know of others experience if any at all with it is. It seems like a good investment and everything else I have got from Diesel Site has been top notch and easy to install
I think the hype comes from Heavy equipment ,that has been run wide open (with a throttle lever) for hours on end . letting it idle to cool down would be prudent then . A bit of common sense here will go a long way ...

Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
That is true. I've already fried the bearings in my tractor turbo once and had to rebuild it. It sounded fine when I shut it off and when I started it again it was locked up. It's a ball bearing one too. Running at 1100 pto rpm all day then shutting down fast is not good. But it's not a powerstroke either. It's a german POS.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
well, the idea behind this is that it ruins the oil in the turbo cause it is too hot so it cokes up.
The thing is, our trucks cool so quick.

the main thing with shutting down is hot turbo with no oil.
But our trucks are not going to have turbo's that are 800+F when shutting off unless we just ran 1/4 mile drag.

realism of this situation here is that our trucks simply do not get THAT hot to have to worry about this.

Tractors are the worse on it though. let them idle down ALWAYS, i even let gas tractors without turbo's idle down for 2 or 3 mins before shutting them down.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Talking

The cool down accessory is just that "An Accessory" for convenience. Like you just said; you just don't shut down a spooled up turbo. Point at hand. By idling the turbo particularly after a long run, OIL is supplied to the bearing while the turbo is cooling down. That's a good thing, you said so. I installed mine because I like gimmicks and it is a help to me.

By your implied statements that these are all just money grabbing gimmicks designed to steal our money, well how about the High Idle accessory? Just sit there and keep your foot on the throttle, that works and is free.

I elected to have the high Idle burned into my chip because it was my desire and would be convenient for ME! Am I always in a hurry? Perhaps. Am I getting LAZY? Now your getting warmer.

I believe that I have enough intelligence to make an informed decision as to what will make my life easier and/or protect my equipment just like I believe that you do and all of the members on this forum. We have gimmicks galore.
If any of us has a question....we ask and don't expect to be preached to.

All of the above is just my humble opinion. Blaze away.

Rog

Old 01-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kawa
The cool down accessory is just that "An Accessory" for convenience. Like you just said; you just don't shut down a spooled up turbo. Point at hand. By idling the turbo particularly after a long run, OIL is supplied to the bearing while the turbo is cooling down. That's a good thing, you said so. I installed mine because I like gimmicks and it is a help to me.

By your implied statements that these are all just money grabbing gimmicks designed to steal our money, well how about the High Idle accessory? Just sit there and keep your foot on the throttle, that works and is free.

I elected to have the high Idle burned into my chip because it was my desire and would be convenient for ME! Am I always in a hurry? Perhaps. Am I getting LAZY? Now your getting warmer.

I believe that I have enough intelligence to make an informed decision as to what will make my life easier and/or protect my equipment just like I believe that you do and all of the members on this forum. We have gimmicks galore.
If any of us has a question....we ask and don't expect to be preached to.

All of the above is just my humble opinion. Blaze away.

Rog
Relax Rog , no one was flaming you.

Your statement about how long the timer runs after shut down speaks volumes ....

I like the units but in all fairness the truck usually shuts down before I get to far away from it as I'm always fiddling with something in the bed or 5er.

Rog

Quick Reply: Anyone using a Turbo Diesel Life Saver from Diesel Site?