Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Steve Christensen
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers

Hi everyone, firstly Merry Christmas from my family to yours.
Got the wipers done, the arms & blades (10'')are Morris Minor, the cable drive setup (2 speed with intermitant) is a kit bought from a hot rod shop. The panel with the vents will also house a CD tuner.
Next I'll make two demister vents to bolt up to the slots in the dash Ford put there. Then shoe horn the heater /AC in.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:16 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Great looking job. I'm looking at a similar wiper setup and I think you just confirmed my decision!

and Merry Christmas to you as well

Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Elder Rodder
Senior User
Electric Wipers for 40-47 Ford Truck

COMPLT1107

Before you start cutting, take a look at this product. I have a set in my '40 and they work great. Their system allows vent system to stay intact, and they're two speed with return. You can also get their switch for intermittant delay. Really a nice setup, and only one hole to drill for the other wiper. New Port Engineering - Applications

Elder Rodder

Old 01-25-2011, 06:35 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
steve, that's looking really good!! elder, have been looking at this system for my 42. is setup strong enough for snow loads? is sweep adjustable? looking at your truck, do wipers always park opposed to each other? steves is one way, yours is opposite. is setup worth the investment? (it appears to be, but does'nt hurt to ask one in the know) thanks in advance, pete

Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Elder Rodder
Senior User
Hi Petey,

The unit will keep trying to run, and I would imagine if the snow isn't more than a coating, they would clear it. Not sure why a restored truck would be doing in the snow, but I think the wiper arm would give up before the unit would stop. This is an electric gear driven unit, and is pretty powerful. It will move more than a vacuum unit would. My truck has wipers for inspection, but I never intend it to see rain if I can help it. Occasionally I'll get caught in the rain, but it is definitely a fair weather truck. The sweep is not adjustable, and the park is always in the horizontal position. The second hole is located from the existing single wiper hole, and they're equal distance from the windshield divider. The winning vote is that the cowl vent can stay the way it is, and that's a plus. These are definitely worth the cost, and really easy to install. Go for it!

Elder Rodder

Old 01-25-2011, 06:12 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
i have both sides factory punched for wipers. any chance you could give me a measurement center to center of shafts? would ease my mind on purchase. as for snow???????? check out my gallery. trust me---i use it!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Elder... I looked and I like the setup... Now I have something else to decide! but not quite ready yet.. Maybe this summer (got the build progress going under Projects Forum)

Old 01-27-2011, 02:12 AM
Steve Christensen
Mountain Pass
Gidday guys, the reason I welded up the cowl vent was because it was a rotted out mess and somewhere for water to get in. The wiper kit I used has an adjustable sweep, 90* thru 120* in 10* increments (by changing a gear in the motor) mine is 100* sweep. If you use a kit with moving linkages can you fit defrost ducts?
Regards, Steve.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Elder Rodder
Senior User
Hi Petey,

The distance from the center divider is about 8" to the driver's side. The device in the wiper system from Newport has a tool that is used to accurately lay out the second hole, which being equidistance from the center, makes the total distance of the wipers from each other at about 16". I'll tell you an interesting story. When I first was running the '40 in the 80s as a "beater" my wife insisted on having a wiper on her side of the truck. A friend had a '46 Ford sedan dual wiper vacuum unit that he gave me, and I located where the hole needed to be for the second wiper, and drilled it. I ran these until I decided to do the truck over. Near the end of the project I forgot to fill the second hole from the dual wiper unit, and my paint man got ahead of me, and painted the truck. I'd already decided to use the Newport unit, but the hole I'd made was a good 2 1/2" off where the second wiper would go with the new unit. I thought a long while on what to do. I finally found early Porsche window washers that were the right size and used both of them to fill the original hole, and the second that I drilled on the driver's side. So, I drilled two more holes than I would have needed if I'd not used the sedan vacuum unit. Of course, the registry said they weren't necessary items, but as long as they were there, they must work. So I bought a small reservoir with motor, and with a little rigging, they now work. They kind of look like they were meant to be there.

Hi Steve,

the defroster fitting up under the dash was only on the driver's side, and is not blocked by the Newport unit. There's a provision for the passenger side, and I put another fitting on that side, but the glove compartment is pretty close. I was able to fit a hose on it before the glove box went in, but it would be a job to get it on with the box in place already. Still, it can be done. The Newport unit does not effect the defroster ducting. It's flexible hose anyway.

Last edited by Elder Rodder; 01-27-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: adding photos
Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Elder Rodder
Senior User

Petey,

Here's the picture from the front of the Newport wipers and the early Porche window washers. After all the mistakes, they don't look bad. They work pretty good also, but about the only time I need to use them is for vehicle inspection.

Elder Rodder

Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 PM
phillies4752
New User
did you sand blast it?
Awesome paint!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
elder, just getting back to this. awesome job, looks like it was there from the start. thanks for the dimensions. soon as it warms up, i'll get to it. pete

Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Elder Rodder
Senior User
Hi Petey,

Yes, the body was off the frame, and both sandblasted, naval jellied, acid etch primer, blocked, re-primed with filler/primer, and then two-stage acrylic enamel. The base coat is a straight GM color (eat your hearts out straight Ford people) : 1956 Cadillac Elderado Bahama Blue, with a clear coat top coat. The body is all steel. The crowd I am around is a bunch of "if it ain't steel, it ain't real" bunch. So, a lot of the body parts I made myself. I'd not wanted to do body work in all the years I've been around cars, but this project forced me to do it, at long last. I'm glad it did, now I can do all the stages of renovation. Glad you think it's awesome.

Elder Rodder

Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Elder Rodder
Senior User
Hi Phillies4752,

I noticed that I used Peteyshoes' salutation on your question, and now I'm using your ID on this one. So, since I'm an elder a.k.a. "Elder Rodder," I guess I'll comment on Petey's comment. Elders do things like that.

So thanks for the compliment on the Porche window washers. The guy who sold them to me was in contact after I sent him the same picture of how they came out, and he mentioned that they were in 90 degrees out of position. When they're in the correct way, the knurled **** can be loosened, and the squirter rotated up or down to get the correct place on the windshield to wash. Duh! So they're not in the correct alignment in the photo, but still look good. I really appreciate your comment that they look like they were always there. Remember to give it some thought when you make a "lemon" mistake, and if you can, turn it into "lemonade."

Someday I'll post a picture of the '40 when I was running it as a "beater" during the 80s. Of course, I always had the concept of what it could, and eventually would become. I think that's an important part of the process: knowing where you're headed, before you start. It's definitely not something to try to deal with in the middle of the project. After all, how can you know when you've arrived, if you didn't know where you were headed in the beginning?

Elder Rodder

Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Someday I'll post a picture of the '40 when I was running it as a "beater" during the 80s. Of course, I always had the concept of what it could, and eventually would become. I think that's an important part of the process: knowing where you're headed, before you start. It's definitely not something to try to deal with in the middle of the project. After all, how can you know when you've arrived, if you didn't know where you were headed in the beginning?

Elder Rodder[/quote]
truely profound and on the money! if you can't "see" the end result in your mind, you will never know when you have achieved it. i did the same type of (off frame) resto on mine, including making bed to fit the truck. and it's all steel.