6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

bullet proof oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 PM
fatcowvtx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bullet proof oil cooler?

So here's my concern, first the cost, $2000 is alot of money, next the coolant also heats up the oil in cold places.With this cooler it will not do that. they say they have a thermostat to fix this, but I still don't know. how about the extra hoses the oil has to go through? will this mess up the oil pump? and some are saying air lock on oil tubing. Is the oil filter adding to the extra work the pump is doing? It's along way away. The cooling system is very good on this truck, when the oil cooler is working. water cooling is better then air any day. One day harley davidson will figure this out, any way back to ford 6.0, with my egr cooler blocked off, my coolant temps are almost always 188 to 210, The oil cooler works well, just need a coolant filter. I just wish someone would improve the O.E style cooler that would be best. My be I will and make a buck or ten.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,510 Likes on 1,745 Posts
A number of folks on the Forums are running the bulletproof oil cooler. They are not having any issues that I have ever read about. It is just a lot of money! npccpartsman is the guy to contact if you have specific questions.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:51 AM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm working on a home made remote oil cooler and filtration system for my truck. It will probably be another month before I get all of my parts in and installed, but I have been doing ALOT of research and there are a couple of things I can tell you about the after market kits.

-They are alot of money but after doing some pricing I can tell you that it takes alot to put these kits together.
Figure $350-$450 for a comparable oil cooler
#12 hydraulic hose can cost anywhere from $8-$30 a foot depending on what grade you get and most of these kits have from 10-12ft.
#12 and 3/4 Hydraulic fittings can be anywhere between $10-$50 a fitting.
And the 1'x1'x6" chunk of aluminum that the adaptor plate is machined out of cost $400-$600 just for material.
Of course these are retail prices not wholesale, but you get the idea. I thought that these guys were making a ton of profit before I started building my own, but now I think that you may actually be getting your money's worth when you buy one. I am doing alot of price shopping and using a used oil cooler, and a different plate setup so my final cost will be considerably less. I will be doing a detailed write up and list of prices and retailers when I am done for anyone else who wants to make one themselves.

The stress on the LPOP was addressed in these kits by using 3/4" ID hose, a high flow oil cooler and filtration system. Many of the flow and filtration concerns were addressed between member's of another forum and a bulletproof rep in the following thread.
who makes remote oil coolers - Page 2 - Powerstroke Nation

Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 PM
fatcowvtx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubler13f
I'm working on a home made remote oil cooler and filtration system for my truck. It will probably be another month before I get all of my parts in and installed, but I have been doing ALOT of research and there are a couple of things I can tell you about the after market kits.

-They are alot of money but after doing some pricing I can tell you that it takes alot to put these kits together.
Figure $350-$450 for a comparable oil cooler
#12 hydraulic hose can cost anywhere from $8-$30 a foot depending on what grade you get and most of these kits have from 10-12ft.
#12 and 3/4 Hydraulic fittings can be anywhere between $10-$50 a fitting.
And the 1'x1'x6" chunk of aluminum that the adaptor plate is machined out of cost $400-$600 just for material.
Of course these are retail prices not wholesale, but you get the idea. I thought that these guys were making a ton of profit before I started building my own, but now I think that you may actually be getting your money's worth when you buy one. I am doing alot of price shopping and using a used oil cooler, and a different plate setup so my final cost will be considerably less. I will be doing a detailed write up and list of prices and retailers when I am done for anyone else who wants to make one themselves.

The stress on the LPOP was addressed in these kits by using 3/4" ID hose, a high flow oil cooler and filtration system. Many of the flow and filtration concerns were addressed between member's of another forum and a bulletproof rep in the following thread.
who makes remote oil coolers - Page 2 - Powerstroke Nation
thanks for the replay.