1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vin problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
picardn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vin problems...

So here's the issue.
12 years ago I sold a 56 ford to a high school kid(down payment on my house) It was torn down and I had built a custom frame with Volare clip. Kid had it in storge for ten years and I purchased it back from him!!!

I went to register the truck and PO never registered it so it is no longer in the DMV system. Looked for the original plates-GONE. Opened the door to write down the vin number and the VIN PLATE missing and since it is a custom frame no VIN there.

So,
No title
No VIN
No Frame VIN
No plates.

CAILF DMV

Any ideas guy's

Thanks

Mike

Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did it have a title when you sold it to him? If it did and he never transferred it into his name, then maybe you can request a copy of the title...??? The only issue is that you'd have to pay all of the back registration fees, maybe...???

I'd try to find a correct "historical document" and call it a day. If not, then have CHP inspect it and assign a new VIN.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Technically, if the person you sold it to never transferred the title, then as far as the state is concerned, it was never sold and is still legally yours. You could file for lost title and get a replacement in your name, since that is the name on record. You don't have any old photos of the truck with a license number, or any other paperwork that might have some number written down on something to search from? Old receipts or invoices from work done, etc?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Technically, if the person you sold it to never transferred the title, then as far as the state is concerned, it was never sold and is still legally yours. You could file for lost title and get a replacement in your name, since that is the name on record. You don't have any old photos of the truck with a license number, or any other paperwork that might have some number written down on something to search from? Old receipts or invoices from work done, etc?
Exactly my point.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:24 PM
picardn
New User
I no longer have any proof of title since I signed it over to him years ago and of course he can't locate it. Also, DMV said after 8 years of no registration the truck was cleared from the records and therefore had no record of me owning it.

Can the CHP issue me a new VIN number?

Mike

Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Yes, that's what the CHP does. You may have to trailer the vehicle to the nearest office, but make sure to set up and appointment first.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Went thru this one too... Lots of fun... You really need the VIN number. Look thru old photo albums for a pick of the info you need. Files and check books. Insurance papers. Do you still have the same insurance company? I found an old regitration. When a vehicle falls out of Registration database (in a person's name), then they have to looking it by VIN. I don't think a plate number is going to help. but anything is worth a try. When you sold it, you gave him a Title, have him look for it. Since he was in HS, have him check with his folks too.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 PM
picardn
New User
Thanks for the tips guy's. I will contact him again tonight... I checked all my old pictures and nothing with the plates showing(good idea!)

Mike

Old 10-14-2010, 03:22 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Well you said you opened the door and nothing, but I do not remember for sure, is it in the glove box? Is the registration still in there? Is the vin stamped on the front of the cowl like on the 51s?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
56 vin tag is on the drivers door front column..

Sam

Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
I could not remember, the 48-55s were all in the glove box.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM
picardn
New User
So I was able to track down his parents, they still live in the same town, using yellow book online. His Mom said she would check their safe deposit box in the morning for the title. Here's hoping!!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I think we will all keep our fingers crossed...

Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If there is no ttitle or registration of record, and there is no sale paper work, and no number stamped into the frame, the California DMV will accept a affadavit stating it was restored from spare parts, and then issue you a new VIN number. That vin number will then have to be stamped in the frame and inspected prior to issuing you the title.

If you can find the title or a glove box Rating Plate (and you didn't hear this from me) go up to Harbor Freight and buy a set of letter and number stamps and stamp the serial number into your new frame. Then throw some oil and dirt on it and get it inspected for the title transfer.

I could write two pages of lessons learned with the California DMV on titles and YOM plates but I'll spare everyone this time. Just know the DMV is going to insist on inspecting the number stamped into the frame - If you don't have a title or a number on the frame they are going to give you a new one to "have stamped."

With no numbers on the truck it's a cull, and there is no way to prove (you or them) it's yours, stolen, etc etc. But there is a process that has to be followed and it's a royal pain if you get the wrong person at the DMV that day. Having the title or rating plate AND the number stamped in th eframe will make life very easy for you.

Don't even mention the swap withthe neighbor kid - legally, it never took place and will just provide the DMV with ammunition to ask more questions that don't need to be asked.

BTW in California, any item that you have on your property that is left over 45 days without claim is considered abandoned and belongs to you!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1

If you can find the title or a glove box Rating Plate (and you didn't hear this from me) go up to Harbor Freight and buy a set of letter and number stamps and stamp the serial number into your new frame. Then throw some oil and dirt on it and get it inspected for the title transfer.
Vehicle ID tampering doesn't get much more illegal than this right here.

Quick Reply: Vin problems...