1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vin problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I took a look on the back of the FT block, and didn't see the code. What I found interesting is the block is green, and the intake is blue. I'll look over the rest of it later.

My flathead has the date code on the block's top, and the serial number forward of the small inspection cover above the bellhousing.

Wayne, thanks for informing us of the year Ford started doing that.

And you all can argue this Ad Infinitum, some folk here won't admit differences, FWIW.

If you ever want a real VIN problem, deal with an old International Harvester, LOL.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
I'm sticking around for this one..............

Old 11-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by picardn
So here's the issue.
12 years ago I sold a 56 ford to a high school kid(down payment on my house) It was torn down and I had built a custom frame with Volare clip. Kid had it in storge for ten years and I purchased it back from him!!!

I went to register the truck and PO never registered it so it is no longer in the DMV system. Looked for the original plates-GONE. Opened the door to write down the vin number and the VIN PLATE missing and since it is a custom frame no VIN there.

So,
No title
No VIN
No Frame VIN
No plates.

CAILF DMV

Any ideas guy's

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Any news on the title hunt?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
dalmeida
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if your average CA DMV office is even equipped to examine a frame for a VIN#? Remembering the average DMV employee, I mean I wonder if they are going to hoist themselves over the fender to stare down the frame looking for indentations made 50+ years ago. My truck is from out of state and has long since lost the stamping plate on the door frame. It took me a good 30 minutes craning and squinting and even then I'm not sure I could read the last couple of numbers well enough to say "yep that's it". I've got an appt tomorrow to go and argue with them as to why they require a weight certificate if their own website says I'm exempt. I've been told by AAA that they do but I've been steered wrong before by human fallibility. If I could find someone local who's authorised at this point it would be worth it to pay them to come to my home and do it. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:07 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A truck is considered a commercial vehicle unless you put a camper shell on it. Then, you can get regular plates.

The less you fight with the DMV, the smoother the process will be. I suggest getting a weight certificate before you register the truck. AAA or DMV will ask you for it and you'll just waste your time there by not having the certification. Commercial registration fees are calculated based on the weight of the truck.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Dalmeida,
Check with Campbell PD, call them and ask them to do a VIN verification for you. It might be a while based on calls for service but they should do it for you. Either go to DMV or download the forms so that you have everything needed when he shows up. You will need a weight certificate because the truck is being brought in from out of state so if you can get it before you go to DMV it will save you another trip back to DMV. I used to get my stuffed weighed off 1st street and 101 when I lived in Campbell and San Jose.

Good Luck.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:01 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To Dalmeida, Sim's Metal on Monterey, between Phelan and Curtner, has a certified public scale. That's where I got the 51 weighed in when I bought it from Arkansas.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 PM
dalmeida
Junior User
I have plates! Started at 9am at the public scales then 10:30 at the DMV where this tiny chinese lady who barely could reach over the fender took one look, wrinkled her nose and said you're going to have to take it to the CHP. Noon at the CHP the officer says normally it's a 6 mo wait for an appt but since his 12 o'clock didn't show.....score! Back to the DMV for another 2 hrs on those cushy plastic chairs. I guess i'm more stubborn than I thought. Thanks for the suggestions figured I should just bury the attitude and power it through.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:44 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Congratulations.
6 mos for an appointment, that is BS, our local CHP can do it when you show up and my office will go to your place, do alot of trailers for people, But the important thing is it worked out for you and you are done with DMV for awhile.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 AM
clemann5084
New User
Theres more of CA than Southern CA

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
I'm very sorry, and don't mean to be disrespectful, but your statements above are absolutely not true.

The DMV currently only accepts VIN checks for the CHP and DMV officials for the purposes of titling a vehicle (Insurance verifications, military stickers, and out of state vehicles, etc, are a different matter). And the CHP will only allow their designated officers to do it, at the designated facility. If you live in a part of California where the DMV is accepting VIN checks from local law enforcement officers - for titling - then that is a unique arrangement with at particular DMV.

Also, the CA DMV will always take your money. But if you want a temporary operating permit for a vehicle you do not have a title for, and is not registered/titled in your name, you have to go to the DMV (which includes the DMV officers at AAA) and have the SERIAL number inspected, pay the fees and have a valid title and registration in process before you can obtain the red temporary operating permit. They don't send you a pdf file to print the thing out from.

In California you also have to be able to present proof of insurance if stopped. And you need current license plates to get the insurance needed to DRIVE the truck on the street.

And if you are driving an unregistered vehicle with no plates, stickers, or insurance cards, and do no thave that red tag taped in your window (new cars excepted), and you get stopped, in California, you'll get towed and impounded for 30 days, or when you do have a valid temporary registration and proof of insurance - which ever happens LAST!

What I stated above about towing in the vehicle needing a serial number check was quoted to me by the CHP Officer I had a Serial Number check with.

Lastly, on the three vehicle I have gone through this process with in the past year, the serial number was required to be stamped on the frame. Not just a new one having been issued, but also when that is verified, it has to be stamped or welded on the frame. I have absolutely no doubts, ifs, ands, or buts, about the process - as it's run in Southern California.

If you are currently "law enforcement" (a Police Officer?), I think you need to do a little homework! If yo are not "acting", then I'd like to suggest that the process has changed in the past year or two.

If any of you have any doubts, call up your local Sherrif or Police office and ask them to send an officer by to do a VIN check for the purpose of obtaining a title on an untitled/unregistered vehicle.

When they direct you to the CHP, then call the CHP up and ask them to send someone out to do a VIN check for the purpose of obtaining a title. They'll tell you to call the DMV for an appointment to bring the vehicle in, and if they don't explain the trailering rules, ask them.

No sense in getting into trouble because they may have changed things again or we are/are not right here.

Get the info from the "horses mouth."
Well call me MR. ED-
The CA DMV 31 form- VIN Verification Form - can be filled out by any VIN trained law enforcement officer. It does not have to be only a DMV or CHP official. Its just that they are considered experts. When filling out the form, the first tag to look for is the Federal ID Label which will have the first VIN #. Match this with the public VIN located in the window. Next pop the hood, locate the emissions label and document if it complies with US Federal Emissions, California or other countries. If the Federal Id label is missing, utl or damaged beyond recognition, then a second VIN besides the Public VIN in the windshield needs to be located and documented under remarks on the 31 form. And do not put your own stamping on the frame. This hillbilly style of thinking only wastes your time and the CHP's as the stamps used by the factory have certain charicteristics unlike those sold to the public. It will appear to be tampered with. There are hidden VIN's that the CHP will locate. If only part of the VIN is recognizable, and it matches the assigned VIN, and all paperwork etc are in order, then the CHP will assign a blue tag to your vehicle, affixing it to the frame by drilling holes and riveting it in place. The officer will then stamp, into the frame, a State of California stamp into the frame in two locations, 1/2 on, 1/2 off the issued tag, insuring it is the real deal. If no other VIN is located besides the Public VIN, and the Fed tag is missing, then a unique CA number will be affixed to the frame as stated above. The location the tag was mounted and new ID number is sent to DMV. Your vehicle will now have two numbers...a body VIN and state issued frame VIN.

As for towing a vehicle and placing it in impound for 30 days due to registration---not true. It could though be impounded until all registration fees are paid...22651(o) VC... The 30 day impound is for unlicensed or suspended drivers. 14602.6 VC...

And finally, most CHP offices in the state will have an officer respond to you, to verify a VIN. In our area you can make an appointment Tues and Thurs between 0900-1400 hrs. If that does not work a CHP road officer will respond. If the road officer has issues, ie no Fed tag or 2nd VIN, then you would be required to bring your rig in to have it inspected if you want it registered.

Disclaimer: Every area is different and have their own Standard Operating Procedures based on the needs of the area. Just because one officer gave you information does not mean your an expert. I'm just saying. No disrespect, just being factual.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 AM
clemann5084
New User
Worst case scenario is no VIN is located and the CHP will issue your vehicle a CA tag to register your vehicle as Special Construction. You will lose the year of the vehicle as it becomes the year registered...ie 2013 Special Construction Ford Truck