Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Help diagnosing smoking black and white 6.9

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Vanzal15
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help diagnosing smoking black and white 6.9

I am getting a bit confused and i think i have conflicting symptoms for my smoky 6.9. When i cold start i get a big plume of white smoke and then it continues to smoke for 10 seconds or so. if i keep the rpms up with my foot the white smoke goes away and if i hold it up for a few seconds and then let it idle again the white smoke is gone. under normal/warm idling conditions the truck consistently smokes a little bit of white smoke. I have heard that white smoke on idling is a sign of retarded timing. should i advance the timing? When i am driving around and lug the engine i get a billowing cloud of swirling black smoke. Now i know that the 6.9 international engine is not the most powerful engine in the world but i feel like it is pathetically easy to lug this engine. when im on the freeway going from 55-65 in 4th gear (4 speed manual trans) i have two options. one is to drive by my mirror and accelerate slowly as to not blow smoke. the other is to accelerate a little harder as not to slow traffic but then blow smoke all over the cars behind me. either way i feel like a douch... isnt black smoke a sign of too advanced timing? or is that only on idle? Also i was thinking maybe the previous owner turned the injection pump pressure up? because that could cause the black smoke on acceleration right? is there any way to set the ip back to its stock setting or do you just have to adjust it forward and back until you get a result you like?

Here is a video of a cold start that i did this morning. glow plug system seems to be working (new plugs a month ago when i bought the truck). on this start i did not use any gas at all so that you can see what im dealing with.

thanks for the help guys.

-Lyle

Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The white smoke is either coolant in the cylinder, or you have a bad glow plug or two. Does the exhaust smell sweet? Especially since you say its whitish at idle. As far as rollin coal to keep up with traffic, something is deffinately not right there. Black smoke indicates nothing besides giving the engine more fuel than it can burn. Sounds to me like someone has turned up the pump. How many miles on the fuel system? Sounds like she could use a new IP and injectors and have it timed. Compression test wouldnt hurt either. There is no way a 6.9 shouldnt keep up with traffic going down the road, i dont care what speed. When i was NA i could tow my girlfriends car and trailer to the track up / down hills and keep up with traffic, barely, but just fine. That is even with big tires and 3.55s, and i was in OD most of the time.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
white smoke is coolant or fuel.check the coolant level.it's probably fine.looks like poor injectors.smell it back there when you start it.real nasty rich fuel smell that burns the eyes right? time for a fresh set of injectors.
caution; many have reported fresh injectors to due in tired ips.it's recommended to change them together.
black smoke is too much fuel or not enough air.check the air filter and adjust the fuel.besides the black cloud,your egt's sky rocket when it feels like mush/lugging and bellowing like that.if you had a gauge,it'd scare the crap out of ya.the result isn't performance like many think (and you know first hand) lol.just sluggishness,poor economy and excessive engine ware.
how to adjust the fuel,and complete tuning info can be found here;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ning-info.html

Old 02-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Vanzal15
5th Wheeling
Thanks guys for the help. i turned down the ip 1.5 flats. I went for a drive to check things out and it looks much better. i still have a bit of flowing white smoke when i get on it fairly hard. think this is due to old injectors and an old injection pump? or maybe just crummy timing? I turned down the timing while i was under there with the ip. is there anything to worry about running the truck too retarded? is there anything to worry about running the ip turned to far down?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
IDI guy
Elder User
Retarded timing can cause white smoke and a considerable loss of power. White smoke is (most of the time) unburnt vaporized diesel that is excaping through the exhaust valve which is opening before the combustion is complete. You should have your engine timed to 8.5* @ 2000 rpm. Here is a site that explains all the different types of smoke in diesel engines and their causes, I have never used their products. Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story…

Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
lose any performance with the black cleared up by turning the fuel down?

to check your injectors,you can use this method;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ine+glow+plugs

Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the timeing is real easy to move to far...so b carful sounds like you found your problem with the pump turned up to far..new air fillter?and is the factory cold air hose still on? do not get the oil type air fillters they suck!!..can be diffacult to find some one to time her for you, as the right equipment is hard to find...

Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
Ferret Instruments , V765-01 Diesel Injection Detector / Timing Adapter - 765

Great video!!!! Thanks AKA Mac. Some great ideas in here, remember dont turn the pump with engine running!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Vanzal15
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
lose any performance with the black cleared up by turning the fuel down?

to check your injectors,you can use this method;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ine+glow+plugs
Thanks for the link man, thats gonna be a very long and very interesting read!

I actually noticed a pretty good power increase! i have not gotten a chance to measure my mpg yet but im hoping im doing better then the 10 mpg that i was getting on my last fill up.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Vanzal15
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by speedwrench72
the timeing is real easy to move to far...so b carful sounds like you found your problem with the pump turned up to far..new air fillter?and is the factory cold air hose still on? do not get the oil type air fillters they suck!!..can be diffacult to find some one to time her for you, as the right equipment is hard to find...
yes im running a new air filter. however my stock air filter housing is mia. any idea where i can pick up a new one (or a good aftermarket one i guess) besides the pick and pull?