1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

C6 will not shift into park

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
whitetrash
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C6 will not shift into park

I have a 71 F250 Camper Special, 390, and C6. I am at the tail end of a restoration. I rebuilt the engine but I didn’t do anything with the transmission. I had never had trouble with the transmission but it looks like I should have had it gone through while it was out anyway.
The truck won’t shift into park. I have completely removed the linkage from the transmission and still can’t get it to shift into park. It shifts through all gears and reverse with no problem. I have put a wrench on the shift lever (on side of transmission) an applied as much force as I dare but it still won’t move into park.
I only have about 30 miles on the truck and was putting new tires and rims on. I took around the block to try the ride on new wheels (I got on it enough to chirp the tires) when I pulled back up to the shop it would not shift into park.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 AM
whitetrash
Senior User
I really need some help with this

I didn't get any responses to this transmission problem. Do any of you have any experience with this at all?

Thanks,

Old 03-30-2010, 10:31 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Chad, It is not a common problem, and I suspect something is array inside the tranny case.

John

Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM
myutesux
Senior User
Take it out

an rebuild it you broke it went spinning new tread dude new gears need TLC till run in

Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM
71cc
Senior User
Originally Posted by whitetrash
I have a 71 F250 Camper Special, 390, and C6. I am at the tail end of a restoration. I rebuilt the engine but I didn’t do anything with the transmission. I had never had trouble with the transmission but it looks like I should have had it gone through while it was out anyway.
The truck won’t shift into park. I have completely removed the linkage from the transmission and still can’t get it to shift into park. It shifts through all gears and reverse with no problem. I have put a wrench on the shift lever (on side of transmission) an applied as much force as I dare but it still won’t move into park.
I only have about 30 miles on the truck and was putting new tires and rims on. I took around the block to try the ride on new wheels (I got on it enough to chirp the tires) when I pulled back up to the shop it would not shift into park.
Did you swap any parts like lever or valve body? There are two styles of detents for the C6 which differ in the way they hold the manual valve in position. I would drop the pan and inspect. You should be able to see the park rod that goes into the tailhousing to engage the park pawl ring on the output shaft. I would bet the guide is binding somehow or loose. If you still don't see the problem you might have to pull the tailhousing to make sure there is no issue there. Also is the issue that it won't quit pulling in park or that it stops pulling but does not latch?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
whitetrash
Senior User
Thanks for the responses

I have not swapped any transmission parts. The issue is that it wont quit pull into park (even with linkage off) it barley is able to catch reverse. I will get the pan off this weekend and take a look. even pulling the tail shaft wont be that bad. I just don't want to take the transmission out. I spent days sound proofing and installing new carpet in the damn thing. I think i would cut the cross member out from under it before I would remove the hump in the floor pan to get it out.

I only chirped the wheels a little. i am not sure what came over me; I just had to do it.

Thanks,

Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Chad if your truck originally had a 3spd the cross member is held in with rivets, unlike bolts for the auto.

Cut the rivets and replace them with bolts, and you can drop the C6 should you need to.

John

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Sam Alvarez
New User
Originally Posted by whitetrash
I have not swapped any transmission parts. The issue is that it wont quit pull into park (even with linkage off) it barley is able to catch reverse. I will get the pan off this weekend and take a look. even pulling the tail shaft wont be that bad. I just don't want to take the transmission out. I spent days sound proofing and installing new carpet in the damn thing. I think i would cut the cross member out from under it before I would remove the hump in the floor pan to get it out.

I only chirped the wheels a little. i am not sure what came over me; I just had to do it.

Thanks,
I have a 1986 doing the same please let me know what u had to do thanks

Old 08-21-2014, 02:27 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Alvarez
I have a 1986 doing the same please let me know what u had to do thanks
Welcome to FTE!
Hello Sam. This thread is over 4 years old so I would assume the OP won't answer you. I would suggest starting your own new thread with your particular details. What's wrong,work done related or not to your truck just before the problem came about,etc. We'll help ya!

Old 09-30-2014, 11:42 AM
69issofine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same prob i think it happened when the neighbor pulled it out of the field where it was being stored without putting it in neutral got the valve body off ,got the tail shaft off it is in between the two.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 69issofine
i have the same prob i think it happened when the neighbor pulled it out of the field where it was being stored without putting it in neutral got the valve body off ,got the tail shaft off it is in between the two.
That'd do it. Sounds like what you ought to do is go on YouTube. There are a bunch of them showing how to rebuild a C6. Scroll through one of them 'till he get to the parking pawl area. You'll then see how your's is supposed to be.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:11 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by 69issofine
Doesn't have to be in neutral, but would need to be out of park. Do you know if he took it out of park?

John

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jowilker
Doesn't have to be in neutral, but would need to be out of park. Do you know if he took it out of park?

John
Sounds like the PO got happy with a tractor John. Drug the poor Bump with it still in PARK.