Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   C6 will not shift into park (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/942988-c6-will-not-shift-into-park.html)

whitetrash 03-25-2010 05:59 PM

C6 will not shift into park

I have a 71 F250 Camper Special, 390, and C6. I am at the tail end of a restoration. I rebuilt the engine but I didn’t do anything with the transmission. I had never had trouble with the transmission but it looks like I should have had it gone through while it was out anyway.
The truck won’t shift into park. I have completely removed the linkage from the transmission and still can’t get it to shift into park. It shifts through all gears and reverse with no problem. I have put a wrench on the shift lever (on side of transmission) an applied as much force as I dare but it still won’t move into park.
I only have about 30 miles on the truck and was putting new tires and rims on. I took around the block to try the ride on new wheels (I got on it enough to chirp the tires) when I pulled back up to the shop it would not shift into park.

whitetrash 03-30-2010 07:53 AM

I really need some help with this

I didn't get any responses to this transmission problem. Do any of you have any experience with this at all?

Thanks,

jowilker 03-30-2010 10:31 AM

Chad, It is not a common problem, and I suspect something is array inside the tranny case.

John :-X06

myutesux 03-30-2010 11:30 AM

Take it out

an rebuild it you broke it went spinning new tread dude new gears need TLC till run in :-drink

71cc 03-30-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by whitetrash (Post 8685340)
I have a 71 F250 Camper Special, 390, and C6. I am at the tail end of a restoration. I rebuilt the engine but I didn’t do anything with the transmission. I had never had trouble with the transmission but it looks like I should have had it gone through while it was out anyway.
The truck won’t shift into park. I have completely removed the linkage from the transmission and still can’t get it to shift into park. It shifts through all gears and reverse with no problem. I have put a wrench on the shift lever (on side of transmission) an applied as much force as I dare but it still won’t move into park.
I only have about 30 miles on the truck and was putting new tires and rims on. I took around the block to try the ride on new wheels (I got on it enough to chirp the tires) when I pulled back up to the shop it would not shift into park.

Did you swap any parts like lever or valve body? There are two styles of detents for the C6 which differ in the way they hold the manual valve in position. I would drop the pan and inspect. You should be able to see the park rod that goes into the tailhousing to engage the park pawl ring on the output shaft. I would bet the guide is binding somehow or loose. If you still don't see the problem you might have to pull the tailhousing to make sure there is no issue there. Also is the issue that it won't quit pulling in park or that it stops pulling but does not latch?

whitetrash 03-31-2010 10:18 AM

Thanks for the responses

I have not swapped any transmission parts. The issue is that it wont quit pull into park (even with linkage off) it barley is able to catch reverse. I will get the pan off this weekend and take a look. even pulling the tail shaft wont be that bad. I just don't want to take the transmission out. I spent days sound proofing and installing new carpet in the damn thing. I think i would cut the cross member out from under it before I would remove the hump in the floor pan to get it out.

I only chirped the wheels a little. i am not sure what came over me; I just had to do it.:)

Thanks,

jowilker 03-31-2010 10:31 AM

Chad if your truck originally had a 3spd the cross member is held in with rivets, unlike bolts for the auto.

Cut the rivets and replace them with bolts, and you can drop the C6 should you need to.

Sam Alvarez 08-21-2014 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by whitetrash (Post 8709450)
I have not swapped any transmission parts. The issue is that it wont quit pull into park (even with linkage off) it barley is able to catch reverse. I will get the pan off this weekend and take a look. even pulling the tail shaft wont be that bad. I just don't want to take the transmission out. I spent days sound proofing and installing new carpet in the damn thing. I think i would cut the cross member out from under it before I would remove the hump in the floor pan to get it out.

I only chirped the wheels a little. i am not sure what came over me; I just had to do it.:)

Thanks,

I have a 1986 doing the same please let me know what u had to do thanks

JEFFFAFA 08-21-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Alvarez (Post 14600728)
I have a 1986 doing the same please let me know what u had to do thanks

Welcome to FTE!:-wink
Hello Sam. This thread is over 4 years old so I would assume the OP won't answer you. I would suggest starting your own new thread with your particular details. What's wrong,work done related or not to your truck just before the problem came about,etc. We'll help ya!:-X22

69issofine 09-30-2014 11:42 AM

i have the same prob i think it happened when the neighbor pulled it out of the field where it was being stored without putting it in neutral got the valve body off ,got the tail shaft off it is in between the two.

JEFFFAFA 09-30-2014 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 69issofine (Post 14704816)
i have the same prob i think it happened when the neighbor pulled it out of the field where it was being stored without putting it in neutral got the valve body off ,got the tail shaft off it is in between the two.

That'd do it. Sounds like what you ought to do is go on YouTube. There are a bunch of them showing how to rebuild a C6. Scroll through one of them 'till he get to the parking pawl area. You'll then see how your's is supposed to be.

jowilker 09-30-2014 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 69issofine (Post 14704816)

Doesn't have to be in neutral, but would need to be out of park. Do you know if he took it out of park?

JEFFFAFA 09-30-2014 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by jowilker (Post 14705407)
Doesn't have to be in neutral, but would need to be out of park. Do you know if he took it out of park?

Sounds like the PO got happy with a tractor John. Drug the poor Bump with it still in PARK.