Print Wikipost

Squeak, squeak, squeak when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:39 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Squeak, squeak, squeak when turning left

I know it's just about impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet but I've got this squeaking coming from the left front. It only does it when the wheel is turned ever slightly to the left, such as if I'm on a road with a high crown or in the curve, or actually making a left turn. It goes away if I apply the brakes.
So what causes this? I'm thinking maybe the pads are squeaking on the rotors somehow. But I wouldn't think anything should be moving around there. Maybe the slide pins need lubed?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM
1999SuperD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just jack it up in the air and rotate that tire to see if you can get it to make the noise, but if not lubing the brake parts doesnt hurt

Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When's the last time you checked your brakes Keith?? The noise going away after applying the brakes makes me thinks its brake related, hows the rotors? Mine are warped and need replacing on the next change but I get a slight shimmy when cold, starting out per say.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had that as well Keith, It turned out that that tin dust sheild was starting to rot, go figure huh metal rusting up here, and it would contact the rotor from time to time.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Check your wheel bearings.
If they are sloppy, the rotors follow the wobbling and then it makes all kinds of odd noises.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:02 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Not to hi-jack Keith but Dan, whats the simplist way to check those wheel bearings, for slop or noise while turning the wheel jacked up??

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Oh yeah, I forgot to add I can't duplicate the problem with the wheel off the ground. Needs to have the load on it. But the bearings and ball joints all seem tight! Thanks for the tip Jim, I guess I'll start pulling stuff off and inspecting and cleaning. The pads look good as far as thickness goes, but I have to admit I haven't checked them for cracking. I've been wanting to get some better pads than the ceramics that are on there, maybe this is an excuse.
Was just wondering if anyone came across this before.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
PowerStroke_KiD
Junior User
Originally Posted by spdmpo
I know it's just about impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet but I've got this squeaking coming from the left front. It only does it when the wheel is turned ever slightly to the left, such as if I'm on a road with a high crown or in the curve, or actually making a left turn. It goes away if I apply the brakes.
So what causes this? I'm thinking maybe the pads are squeaking on the rotors somehow. But I wouldn't think anything should be moving around there. Maybe the slide pins need lubed?
i have the same problem as you, and it isnt pad or rotor related cause i just put new pads and rotors on last weekend, i was thinking it maybe had something to do with the tilt of the wheel when turning left, but i still cant think of what it would be grinding on

Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Any luck Keith??. Stay tuned powerStroke_Kid, welcome to FTE..

Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Ummmm no. I haven't even so much as pulled the tire off to inspect yet, lol. Like I said it's only a minor, intermittent squeaking. Maybe tomorrow if I feel like it, but I need to do those spring blocks first. I've just been so blasted busy.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:34 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
I finally got a chance to get to this today. Kind of a long story leading up to it. Yesterday traveling on a 4 lane road a lady made a left turn to travel in my same direction and pulled right in front of me in the lane I was in. She didn't so much as stop or yield, just pulled right out like the world is hers. So anyway I found a lot can go through your mind in about 2 seconds. I was standing on the brake pedal with both feet, **** off the seat, hanging on to the wheel. I really wanted to hit her, I know that sounds bad, but I was thinking it. I thought - I've been wanting an 05 grill and bumper and I wanted to just smash her car and cream the little Suzuki she was driving.
But then I thought things might never be the same and I like my truck so I kept standing on the brakes. All the while thinking to myself why isn't this thing stopping? And why aren't the anti-lock brakes kicking in, I don't feel it in the pedal and I'm not skidding. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was 1/2" from hitting her.

So I checked it out today and found the driver's side caliper pins were seized. All the clues were there I knew them, just thought I didn't have the time to investigate. I've had excessive brake dust on the drivers side wheel and they pulled to one side when I braked. And then the squeaking, duh. It took me needing to do a panic stop to fix this. So anyway I managed to unseize the pins, clean them and regrease. Reason ABS never kicked in is because it didn't need too, this thing wouldn't stop hard enough to need them. I replaced the pads with new EBC Yellowstuff since the others wore uneven and kind of funny. Now it brakes great! Pad still need another bed in process when they cool off overnight, but even now this thing stops like it never did before. And no more squeak. ABS is kicking in now and I can hear and feel the tires scrubbing.

Guess this was kind of a rant, just felt the need to get it out how pissed I was at this "lady."

Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Glad to hear you stopped in time, lol, stupid b$#** Although I feel the same way as you, sometimes I think of a pit manuver with idiot drivers to straighten them out only bad could come out of it. Glad you found it Keith..

Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
THanks Mike, I'm wondering if my mileage might go up a bit now. That would be nice. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it was definitely dragging.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:17 PM
jasonch
Senior User
thanks for the thread, i need to check mine. my brakes lock up often, mainly when pulling.