Sponsored by: DP Tuner

"Torque" Woe

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
"Torque" Woe

Stinky has been off-line for 6 1/2 weeks for electronic reasons, but he's back now. One of the many issues I had before parking him was Torque was freaking the truck out any time I tried to pull up the Engine Oil Temperature. I tried every possible combination, but the truck kept going into SES, a bunch of strange noises came from the dash and the hood, and the Glow Plug Relay was flashing.

I finally surmised my Torque Pro was "contaminated" and uninstalled the software. I then re-installed Torque Pro and started the same configuration I had before, from scratch. I had a couple of extended Ford PIDs that wouldn't read until I edited the PIDs and hit "Test" at the bottom of the PID configuration. That seemed to clear the stubborn sensors' sinuses, and now all of my gauges work properly, as they did before this all started.

The trip point for all of this was one of the Torque Pro updates. It somehow corrupted some ones and zeros in the program somewhere, and all the rebooting and reconfiguring couldn't straighten it out. This adventure leaves a cautionary tale: If you update, upgrade, or do any changes to Torque Pro, test all of the active gauges with Key On Engine Off (KOEO) before you try to run with it.

Oh, by the way... Torque is set up to do tests now (like CCT and buzz), but I don't yet know the commands. I'm sticking with AE for these functions for now, so I'll yield the lead on this particular project.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:44 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
Stinky has been off-line for 6 1/2 weeks for electronic reasons, but he's back now. One of the many issues I had before parking him was Torque was freaking the truck out any time I tried to pull up the Engine Oil Temperature. I tried every possible combination, but the truck kept going into SES, a bunch of strange noises came from the dash and the hood, and the Glow Plug Relay was flashing.

I finally surmised my Torque Pro was "contaminated" and uninstalled the software. I then re-installed Torque Pro and started the same configuration I had before, from scratch. I had a couple of extended Ford PIDs that wouldn't read until I edited the PIDs and hit "Test" at the bottom of the PID configuration. That seemed to clear the stubborn sensors' sinuses, and now all of my gauges work properly, as they did before this all started.

The trip point for all of this was one of the Torque Pro updates. It somehow corrupted some ones and zeros in the program somewhere, and all the rebooting and reconfiguring couldn't straighten it out. This adventure leaves a cautionary tale: If you update, upgrade, or do any changes to Torque Pro, test all of the active gauges with Key On Engine Off (KOEO) before you try to run with it.

Oh, by the way... Torque is set up to do tests now (like CCT and buzz), but I don't yet know the commands. I'm sticking with AE for these functions for now, so I'll yield the lead on this particular project.

Funny I noticed mine was acting stupid the other day as well, I can't clear codes I can read the codes and all the gauges but when I try and clear codes it can't connect. I'm going to try and uninstall and see if it fixes it.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jspence105
Funny I noticed mine was acting stupid the other day as well, I can't clear codes I can read the codes and all the gauges but when I try and clear codes it can't connect. I'm going to try and uninstall and see if it fixes it.
Are you using a cheap 'clone' OBDII device? The cheaper ones I've been seeing seem to have issues relaying commands to the PCM. They can read data just fine though. That was one of the issues I had and ended up going with a higher grade unit.

Tugly's case is different because of his modifications to the coding itself in relation to updates to Torque Pro. In fact, looking through the changelog for Torque Pro, I think changes like this could be a factor:

* Fix for PIDs that had automatic generated ID’s appearing in the 0xDxxxxx range instead of 0xExxxxx – this may need you to update your PID references if you are using the ‘Dxxxxx’ range instead of ‘Exxxxx’ ranges in the PID editor. eg: [DE1234] will change to something like [E345AB

Forums — » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque ChangeLogTorque

Old 04-27-2014, 06:12 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave7.3
Are you using a cheap 'clone' OBDII device? The cheaper ones I've been seeing seem to have issues relaying commands to the PCM. They can read data just fine though. That was one of the issues I had and ended up going with a higher grade unit.

I am using a cheap adapter, but haven't had this problem until last week.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:32 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Dave7.3
* Fix for PIDs that had automatic generated ID’s appearing in the 0xDxxxxx range instead of 0xExxxxx – this may need you to update your PID references if you are using the ‘Dxxxxx’ range instead of ‘Exxxxx’ ranges in the PID editor. eg: [DE1234] will change to something like [E345AB

Forums — » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque ChangeLogTorque
Great info, Dave! I'm glad you're looking into these details and sharing them here.

I think I should have also mentioned Torque set all kinds of alarms on my Gen II Prius as soon as the software linked with the Bluetooth adaptor. My two vehicles couldn't be more different from each other, unless one of them had three wheels. The common factors with the SES alarm triggers were the program updates.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:17 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
OBTW?!?! I have always enjoyed your sense of humor Rich!

I also enjoyed your red font back in the day. And yeah, that's my sense of humor.

I do not see these tests in my TorquePro, which I believe is current. What menu path did you take to find these easter eggs?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:21 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
OBTW?!?! I have always enjoyed your sense of humor Rich!

I also enjoyed your red font back in the day. And yeah, that's my sense of humor.

I do not see these tests in my TorquePro, which I believe is current. What menu path did you take to find these easter eggs?
Thank you for the kind words.

I am completely spent today, or I'd retrace the dance I had to go through. I remember the General settings had a checkmark for sending commands, and there are diagnostic start and stop commands at the bottom of each PID setting. I don't know if anybody has actually figured out how to do a buzz, but I know it's now possible in the software.

If you're going to tinker, do it with KOEO.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:47 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Rich, your post came at a perfect time. Just the other night, I sat and entered the posted equations. When I went out and hooked up to the truck and turned the engine over I noticed it seemed like it was cranking longer than normal and the SES light was on. I immediately stopped cranking and disconnected Torque and the doggle. The truck started right up on the next crank and ran fine for my trip home after work. I had only used Torque one time prior to the other night and when I was using Torque the truck started running rough and died while I was traveling down a road. After I was able to coast to the side of the road, I immediately disconnected the doggle and the truck started right up and seemed to run fine.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:21 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
When I stalled Stinky, I immediately turned Torque off, and restarted the truck. This taught me to never start Torque once the truck is running, I first confirm gauge readings without issues on the truck. Here is my "procedure" for starting Torque, then the truck:

If you have gauges on multiple screens, the procedure is a bit more complex. You need to confirm each screen, because the gauges on them are "quiet" until you switch to the other screen. I had that happen to me on a separate time when I hadn't confirmed a new gauge. I put a new gauge in on the transmission page, returned to the main screen, drove off, switched to the screen with the new gauge, and stalled on the highway.

When you stall, don't coast to a stop... you have power brakes and steering for just a few seconds.