Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Using Torque Pro/ELM engine stops

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:26 PM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using Torque Pro/ELM engine stops

So like most other threads start, I have searched and searched and can't seem to find anyone with this issue.
I bought a Bluetooth OBD II ELM off eBay, the typical Chinese $12 thing. I have Torque Pro on my Android tablet. When I plug in the the ELM, have TP connected, KOEOff, TP gets nothing from the PCM. I have to start the engine. Once I do, TP connects and read the PCM output or codes or whatever I want to do...for about 30 seconds. Then the engine dies. I am able to restart and then it runs again for about 30 seconds and dies. It'll run and then die. I disconnect the ELM and it runs like a champ, no issues.
I hooked the ELM/TP combo to my wife's MKX and it works great. Reads codes or the lack there of, spits out data and will go all day. I did this thinking it might be the cheapo ELM but it isn't causing the engine to die on the MKX.
To add a bit more data to this; I run a Valentine One connected to my truck with a Savvy. Savvy powers the Valentine One by connecting to the OBDII port. In addition it reads the speed of the vehicle and mutes the Valentine One at a speed set on the Savvy. Anyway, I notice when the truck first starts, the Valentine One doesn't. It takes maybe 20 or 30 seconds for the OBD II port to get power and power the Valentine One. This differs from any gasoline cars I have used my Valentine One in.
So to make a long story short (too late) does the OBD II port work differently from a power stand point in the diesel? Any idea why the engine wouldn't run very long using Torque Pro and the ELM?

Thanks for reading!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm surprised you couldn't find this in a search - this one has been beat hard the past year.

12 bucks for a product cloned with inferior parts from a country that doesn't give a rip about quality control, and doesn't have the financial incentive to back their product. A legitimate OBDII BT adapter with factory support will run closer to $100.

That being said, car manufactures have used different communication protocols and data speeds over the years. My Gen II Prius does not use the same communications as my 2000 Superduty - but they use the same connector.

I have looked at data logs that were recorded while two OBDII devices were connected simultaneously, and there are tons of data losses on the logs. Torque also has the ability to send commands to the PCM, and that can cause issues when the commands are interrupted by the second OBDII device.

If you go into your Torque settings and disable the feature where it can send commands, use only one device on the OBDII port, update your portable device and Torque, then your $12 adapter might have a fighting chance on our antiquated OBDII communications.

This might be a silly question, but Torque can monitor all the sensors in the truck - why two OBDII devices?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:17 AM
JuanHuevos
Originally Posted by Tugly
I'm surprised you couldn't find this in a search - this one has been beat hard the past year. 12 bucks for a product cloned with inferior parts from a country that doesn't give a rip about quality control, and doesn't have the financial incentive to back their product. A legitimate OBDII BT adapter with factory support will run closer to $100. That being said, car manufactures have used different communication protocols and data speeds over the years. My Gen II Prius does not use the same communications as my 2000 Superduty - but they use the same connector. I have looked at data logs that were recorded while two OBDII devices were connected simultaneously, and there are tons of data losses on the logs. Torque also has the ability to send commands to the PCM, and that can cause issues when the commands are interrupted by the second OBDII device. If you go into your Torque settings and disable the feature where it can send commands, use only one device on the OBDII port, update your portable device and Torque, then your $12 adapter might have a fighting chance on our antiquated OBDII communications. This might be a silly question, but Torque can monitor all the sensors in the truck - why two OBDII devices? Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEKfm84mA8I
Hey thanks for the reply. I agree with you on the $12 knock-off. I know that it's not optimal and I certainly agree with you about the country not caring. When I said I couldn't find anything, I really meant about the engine stopping. I know there are different protocols and also that diesels didn't have to be OBD II compliant. I guess since I didn't know how the ELM would do on the diesel, that was why I asked. I'm actually saving for the AE so hopefully this will all be a moot point. When the engine stopped, it really surprised/worried me. I just wanted to make sure that I could blame this on the ELM and there wasn't something else wrong. That's why I mentioned the Valentine One and what happens with it. I don't run both at the same time, I unplug the Valentine when I'm wanting to use Torque Pro.
Thanks again for your insight, I'll just pitch the Chinese crap. No more of that for my truck!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
...When I said I couldn't find anything, I really meant about the engine stopping....
Ah... I get that. My truck flashed WTS non-stop, and it stalled when I goofed on a gauge setting somehow. I updated the OS, stripped Torque out, re-installed and updated the version, re-programmed all my Torque settings (same as before), and everything was fine. I also disabled Torque's ability to send commands, because I don't want Torque to whisper in Stinky's ear without me being privy to the conversation.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 AM
JuanHuevos
Ok so yours did some goofy things too then. Maybe I'll try turning off the commands too, I don't need Ox getting any whispers either lol. I just looked at legit OBDII devices. The OBDLink MX looks pretty good. Thanks again man

Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
...The OBDLink MX looks pretty good....
That's the one I use. It works with every app, vehicle, and device I've thrown at it... and I've tried plenty of each.