Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Posting Guru

karljay is starting off with a positive reputation.
how much area does an 80lb bag of concrete cover?

I'm building a new shed, I'm going to buy the 80 lb bags from Home Depot. The depth will be about 4" (using a 2x4). How much coverage will each bag give me?

Thanks, KarlJay.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Junior User

1stoldtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's a calculator

The calculator at this site, Concrete Volume Calculator , will take your measurements and tell you how many bags (various sizes), cu ft or cu yards the job will require.
I ran a calc to find that 1 cu ft requires 1.7 80'lb bags....so one bag is about .6 cu ft.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Posting Guru

jwtimme is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
more than you think it will, there is a chart on the side of the bag that will help you figure how many bags
Old 08-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Senior User

mitchntx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lay the bag down on the ground. That is about how much it will cover.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Using a 10x12 shed as a starting point, it will take you 67 bags. Also, if you simply lay 2x4s on the ground the concrete will just lift them up and flow under them, or bow/push them out of the way.

Last edited by Ford_Six; 08-13-2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Because I lack basic communication skills
Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
QUIKRETE® - Cement and Concrete Products has a materials calculator right on their website.

Steve
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 08-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Posting Guru

385seriesHemi is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For the amount I wouldnt know so im assuming Ford_6 is correct for laying the slab. When buying 2x4s get the straightest ones possible. To prevent bowing of the boards (which berely ever happens on this small of a slab) put a stake every 2 feet or so on each board. Then get a draw string to go across the forms to put a stake or two in the central area of the slab for "grade stakes" so when you pour the concrete in the middle.

When you have reached the middle you will know what height (same height as 2x4s) to screet the mud to for being flat from those grade stakes. Screeting can be done with a NON bowed or warped board so you don't have dips in the concrete. If you already knew this I guess I just remided you of it but good luck.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Posting Guru

Gevans17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
lots of bags

67 Bags? thats a lot of 80 lb bags to lug home from Home Depot. Check in theYellow Pages for concrete companies that will mix and deliver short loads on site.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Posting Guru

Gevans17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
how much coverage per bag?

An 80lb bag yields 2/3 of a cubic ft per bag.
You will get 2 sq ft of coverage @ 4" thickness. Dont run out of bags in the middle of a pour!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 PM
New User

DIESELPOWER5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
concrete

I have not used this one way that I think you are using is it what they call premixed? or pre made?? We dad used to buy the concrete in the bags and get, me to mix it with navajack a ( 3/4" minus, sand and gravel) He told me 4 to 1 was a good mix for gravel/ cement. If I was making concrete pipes I went 3 to 1 used to drive dad nuts. ( I do miss him) Don't use to much water in it for it will slump more that way. I wants to be just wet enought to shovel and for it to stay on the shovel. As for the gravel ( navajack) there would be amounts listed in loose materials for gravels that should be close the to volume that you need. Have you go a gravel sales company around you that could advise. I didn't read the volume that you had. 4" = 1/4 cu ft x width x length.. Will give you cubic feet. Sorry you probably know this but you can almost never over support/ brace concrete. Hope it works out for you it has been 30 yrs since last worked much concrete slabs.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Posting Guru

385seriesHemi is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevans17 View Post
67 Bags? thats a lot of 80 lb bags to lug home from Home Depot. Check in theYellow Pages for concrete companies that will mix and deliver short loads on site.
If he goes to a ready-mix company it might be more expensive since there is a delivery fee most likely & the price of mud has gone up also. I think from what I remember on our last job, the company we used it was 300 bucks for 2 - 1/2 yards of mud. So if he has a big bin and two guys mixing with shovels I am sure it will go fine.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Elder User

birdman1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Like mitchntx said, the coverage is the same as the bag laid on the ground, you add water to it but it does not swell up, Naturally you can use the concrete calculator for large jobs, but I (at Lowe's) always tell folks it they are pouring a sidewalk or stepping stones the bag size is what it will be once mixed.
later, Mike
Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Senior User

Talltruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also take a look in the phone book to see if there's a U-Cart company -- they have a small cart that carrys about 1 - 2 yards of concrete they've mixed, all you do is haul it to your house and dump it into your forms. The problem with mixing that much bag concrete is that the first bags you mix are drying by the time you're mixing the last bag unless you're fast.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop

Tags
80, 80lb, bag, bags, concrete, cover, coverage, depot, home, lb, mix, needed, ready, volume, wet