Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Colorado Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RIKIL

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Freshman User

cfisher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering problem

Well, the saga begins. I have managed to get a good look at the body of my truck so I decided to go a little deeper and start looking at some of the mechanical issues.

I noticed driving the truck home and a couple of subsequent trips around the corner to the grocery store that the steering "catches" or "jumps" when turning to the left. I decided I would check into it last weekend and found that there is some kind of 'flex' joint just up the column from the steering box. This looks completely worn out, and the catch was actually the upper part of the column spinning slightly then popping loose (actually just spinning in relation to the lower part of the column, about an inch or so) when I turned the wheel back. Is this an easily findable part? Am I looking at a custom fabrication? It looks like a few more turns and that cloth-like material may tear.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Postmaster

Hypoid has a good reputation on FTE.Hypoid has a good reputation on FTE.
MAN! I haven't replaced one of those in years!
It's commonly called a rag joint, both my manuals call it a flex coupler. I remember it being a $5 item at A-Z. Again, that was quite awhile ago.

Start with the Yellow Pages, it used to be a very common part.

Mike

'96 Ranger XLT, 2.3L, 5-speed, 2 wheel drive.

Email me at Hypoids.haus at yahoo, visit me at RMFTC.com/forums
Old 02-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Senior User

DCP is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not sure what you are driving, but it sounds like maybe your steering box needs to be rebuilt or replace. You also need to replace your rag joint before you lose your steering while driving down the road.

Last edited by DCP; 02-05-2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Posting Guru

qman is starting off with a positive reputation.
The rag joints are cheap. They serve the same purpose as a universal joint. They're cheap. You can get one at Autozone for about $7 in the HELP! section but I've heard folks say them are cheap. They're a real common part and eventhouth I've never bought one I'm sure you can get one at any parts house.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Freshman User

Rag joint, flex coupler, whatever you call it, if I hear one more parts store savant say, "uh...", or "could you say that again", I am going to rip his or her respective throat out. There are no references on the web for this item, none of the local parts stores have it, (neither Auto Zone nor Checker's computers even show that the '67 had anything but power steering), and so far none of the custom shops I have called have anything but suggestions on who to call.

Does anyone know of a parts store/custom shop that can fabricate this item?
And yes if the reader is wondering I am about up to my eyeballs in frustration. I can't find the blinker unit for this year either because it is a year specific part. Lord knows what else I am going to run into. I haven't even turned a bolt on the thing yet and I am running into brick walls trying to find parts to make it a even a daily driver.

Anyone want to buy a "slightly used" '67?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Freshman User

Ok, some frustration has been alleviated. National Parts Depot actually has the part I need. It is at a mild $59.95 (ouch). It is a "Steering Gear Input Shaft to Column Shaft Coupling". However, given the lengths I have had to go to to find it, I guess I am not surprised at the cost. I can't wait to find out what the blinker unit is going to cost.....
Old 02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Senior User

DCP is starting off with a positive reputation.
Try to find a Olsolete Ford or LMC truck magazine. They should have a lot of the parts you need for old '67.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Freshman User

I have ordered an LMC catalog I think. I have ordered about three different ones now from companies that claim to provide parts.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:51 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Colorado Chapter

Tags
catches, left, steering, turning