1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2003 EB 4x4 LOOSE STEERING

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Razzmaniac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 EB 4x4 LOOSE STEERING

Hey guys, need a little advice here.
I have a 2003 Expedition EB 4x4. It used to have really tight steering. Almost car like. After many "redos" for a simple alignment, (including hard pull to right and too much camber or caster) it aquired loose steering in the column/rack. On turns its fine, but on the straight away on the highway especially, it has about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch play/dead zone in the rack/column. The steering is also so much looser then it used to be, if on the straight away on the highway and you need slight turn, it is pretty overly sensative. On braking also, the steering wheel feels like it is just floating. If it wasnt for the alignment to be right on the mark, it would be exhausting to keep the truck in a lane. The Steering wheel even had a squeek to it when i turned, it was that tight and comfortable. Now you can feel movement in the wheel when turning like it catches after the looseness. Hard to explain but its just not a solid single movement if you turn the wheel, you pass the looseness in the steering then it like catches on the tighter part of the turn in the column/rack. Kind of like if a bushing or u-joint is loose.
I cant get any mechanic to admit that its a serious problem to do any kind of further investigation into the situation. They just say thats how the Expys are. One mechanic told me that it can be tightened until he noticed it was a 4x4 and looked at the box and said it was the kind that can NOT be tightened and that i could spend the money out of pocket for a whole new rack. I have a full extended factory warrenty, but seems useless in this situation until a mechanic can admit to a problem to repair.
Has anyone else run into the steering issue as well?? If so, i could REALLY use some advice on what to do or where to go or how to explain this to a mechanic to replace. Could never sell the truck with the steering like this, it would totally turn off any potential buyer plus i really want to keep my truck for a few more years.
Thanks

Old 10-07-2006, 11:11 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
I have free play in my early build '03 4X4 also. It is very annoying, and is tiring to drive.

The alignment is perfect. I had it checked with the newest machine, with a seasoned veteran alignment man, and I watched him, and checked the numbers myself.

I had him put in 1/64 of toe in to mask some of the looseness, but it is still a pain in the wind, or on asphalt interstates where the lanes tend to rut out.

It is very aggervating to have something with 45k miles on it, and have the steering of 145k. I also have a sway bar end link rattle, and many more problems. This truck has been a BIG disappointment from the day I bought it.

I am just waiting for it to get colder, and gas to come down a little more, then bang, zoom, and away she goes.

There is a TSB on the racks on the early '03s. If you have the steering nibble they can check which rack you have. If you have one of the "right ones" it will be covered under warranty.

Last edited by yardbird; 10-07-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Razzmaniac
New User
Glad to know someone else with the same year and 4x4 has the same problem. . . am polly going to work that mechanic over to MAYBE see if he will warrenty the rack or ill just pay for a new one. . i dont think i can go long like this.. . . it does feel like a crappy clunky old truck sometimes and its embarrassing cause i would never let anyone drive it for that reason.
I also have a rattle over ridged road. . NOONE can find that even when i TELL them what it is. . .same problem on my old '97 Grand Cherokee.. . . you can feel it right thru the steering column into the wheel. . . like metal on metal. . .
i think alot of it too it the steering stops. . i had them greesed and its a little better. . . so alot rattles up there. . . gotta have them greesed though ever oil change. . .in south florida with all the rain, it washes off easy.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Razzmaniac
New User
Can you send me a link to the TSB reports?? That way i have some proof to show the dealer?? THanks man

Old 10-08-2006, 10:14 AM
artfuldodger
Senior User
loose steering

I've had 2 expys and I had stabilizer bar link pins rust and break 3 times. this is an easy and inexpensive repair to do. Parts stores will have the part much cheaper than the dealer. When they go they rattle on bumps and turns because they are broken and of course the stabilizer bar can't function at all. check the link pins at the ends of the stabilizer bar before you replace a really great heavy duty SUV. Artfuldodger

Old 10-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Razzmaniac
New User
Artfuldodger . . .ill let the mechanic know about the link pins. . .do you have any input on the loosening steering rack factor?? This is the most annoying problem I have with such a large truck. I love it but having second thoughts on getting another Ford if they cant admit to the defect and correct it.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:37 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
If you have the steering wheel nibble also you can use this TSB to get a new rack.

TSB 05-7-2

04/18/05

STEERING WHEEL NIBBLE AT 65 MPH (105 KM/H)
OR HIGHER

FORD:
2003-2005 Expedition

LINCOLN:
2003-2005 Navigator

This article supersedes TSB 03-12-07 to add model years and update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE
Some Expedition/Navigator may exhibit a steering wheel nibble (side-to-side or rotational oscillation) at 65 MPH (105 km/h) or higher.

ACTION
Refer to the Diagnostic Overview. Based on the customer's description of the concern, find the appropriate Operating Condition and Probable Cause. If the vehicle concern and operating conditions match those on the Diagnostic Overview, follow the TSB Service Procedure to repair.

NOTE IT IS CRITICAL TO IDENTIFY SPECIFIC VEHICLE SPEEDS AND OPERATING CONDITIONS WHEN THE VIBRATION OR NIBBLE IS OCCURRING TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR THE ISSUE. TIRE AND DRIVELINE VIBRATION CAN FEEL SIMILAR. USE OF AN ELECTRONIC VIBRATION ANALYZER (EVA) OR VETRONIX VIBRATION ANALYZER IS RECOMMENDED TO CORRECTLY IDENTIFY VIBRATION SOURCES (ORDERS) AND FREQUENCY (HZ).

SERVICE INFORMATION

NOTE NIBBLE CANNOT BE ELIMINATED WITHOUT PROPER TIRE AND WHEEL BALANCE.

1. Drive the vehicle at highway speeds for at least 20 miles (33 km) to eliminate the flat spotting. Install an EVA or Vetronix vibration analyzer and have an assistant monitor and record the reading near the end of the 20 miles (33 km) drive and while at the peak of the vibration.

a. If the vibration goes away during the 20 mile (33 km) drive, the concern is due to temporary tire flat spotting which is a normal tire condition. Do not continue with this TSB.

b. If the vibration remains, proceed to Step 2 for 4x4 vehicles, or to Step 3 for 4x2 vehicles.

NOTE THE VEHICLE MUST BE DRIVEN TO REMOVE TIRE FLAT SPOTS, THE TIRE BALANCE AND ROAD FORCE MEASUREMENTS MAY BE INACCURATE OTHERWISE.

2. Check the Integrated Wheel End (IWE) on 4x4 units. Raise the front of the vehicle (wheels off the ground), engine running, and vehicle in 2WD mode. The front half shafts should not turn when wheels are rotated by hand.

a. If the IWE is functioning correctly, proceed to Step 3.

b. If not, refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-07 and repair IWE first, then proceed to Step 3.

NOTE THE PROCEDURE IN THIS TSB IS FAR MORE EFFECTIVE WHEN USING ROAD FORCE MEASUREMENT EQUIPMENT. ONLY USE A STANDARD BALANCER AND MANUALLY CHECK RUN OUT WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. VISIT WEBSITE (WWW.G5P9700.COM) TO LOCATE THE NEAREST FACILITY THAT HAS THIS TYPE OF EQUIPMENT.

3. If road force measurement equipment (Hunter GSP 9700, 9712, or equivalent) is available, proceed to Step 4. If not, balance the tires with a standard balancer and use a dial indicator to locate and mark the high point of each tire's centerline radial runout. This will be used for the R1H reading in the following steps. After marking the tires, proceed to Step 7.

NOTE SUPPRESS ROUND OFF FUNCTION ON ROAD FORCE BALANCER TO ALLOW ACTUAL RESIDUALS TO BE DISPLAYED.

4. Perform the road force measurement immediately after driving the vehicle. Remove the wheel cover and wheel assembly. Measure the road force variation of all four tires. Measure and mark the tire HIGH road force variation point (R1H) on all four tires prior to dismounting them from the road force measurement equipment. Balance as required to 0.35 oz (10g) or less of imbalance (check both two-plane and static). If any wheel assembly measures more than 25 lbs R1H, then proceed to Step 5. If less than 25 lbs R1H, proceed to Step 6.

5. Using the road force measurement equipment, determine the low spot of the wheel run out. Match high point force variation on the tire with the low spot of wheel run out. If the wheel assembly is now acceptable, continue with rebalance. If not, replace the tire and recheck.

NOTE THE SPARE TIRE SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A REPLACEMENT TIRE.

6. Install the lowest R1H level tires on the front of the vehicle.

7. Position all tire/wheel assemblies on the hubs with the high R1H point, or high tire centerline radial run out, at the 12:00 position (Figure 2).

8. Install the lug nuts and torque to 150 lb-ft (200 N.m).

9. Using a flat feeler gauge, check the wheel hub-to-bore clearance to verify the largest gap is as close to the 6:00 position as possible (Figure 2). If the largest gap is not located near the 6:00 position, remove the lug nuts and tire/wheel assembly, rotate the hub to a new position, and reinstall the tire/wheel assembly again following Steps 7 and 8. Check again for the optimum 6:00 gap location.

10. Road test vehicle to verify vehicle is corrected. If not corrected, proceed to Step 11.

11. Replace the steering gear per the following vehicle and build date information.

NOTE DO NOT REPLACE THE STEERING GEAR UNLESS NIBBLE CANNOT BE RESOLVED WITH TIRE/WHEEL BALANCE.

^ Expedition built from 3/17/2002-7/15/2002:
2L1Z-3504-KB

^ Expedition built from 7/15/2002-5/20/2004:
4L1Z-3504-AA

^ Expedition built after 5/20/2004: Do not replace the steering gear. These vehicles already contain the latest level.

^ Navigator built from 3/18/2002-6/27/2003:
4L7Z-3504-AA

^ Navigator built after 6/27/2003: Do not replace the steering gear. These vehicles already contain the latest level.

NOTE WHEN REPLACING NAVIGATOR STEERING GEAR, ALSO REFER TO TSB 03-11-05 FOR INFORMATION ON REPROGRAMMING THE IVD MODULE.

Labor Operation Claiming Chart

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: 03-11-05

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
3504 42

Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Razzmaniac
New User
Thanks for the TSB. . .
what makes a TSB in effect?? If there is a TSB for a nibble at 70mph, why cant that same TSB be used for a loose rack?? I think thats more of a safety issue then a nibble at high speeds. I have emailed Ford over and over about this subject and they refuse to give me an answer other then go see a dealer, and the dealers just tell me, thats acceptable according to Ford. What could possible be bcause to create a TSB for loosened rack?????

Old 10-16-2006, 01:35 AM
yardbird
Cargo Master
I guess you don't have a steering nibble. If you did that would be covered under the original warranty.

I don't have a nibble, just play in the rack, and unfortunately, past my warranty.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:27 PM
emma0902
New User
Along the same lines.....

I have an '06 Expedition (EB) with 26K miles, bought as a "Dealer Demo" model. I bought it with 16.5K miles, put approx 10K+ miles and already the "Steering Shaft" needs to be replaced. No problem, under warranty. Could a bad steering shaft cause the front tires to "chop" or wear unevenly? TIA.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:43 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
I think there is something wrong with the steering geometry as designed. The '03 and up Expy, and '04 and up pickups seem to be really bad for cupping the edges of the tires if not rotated every 5k miles.

I know the Continentals have something to do with this, but I know for a fact my alignment is perfect as per Ford specs. My front tires were still cupping on the edges, both inner and outer, and having heel to toe wear after 5k miles. This was not from under inflated tires either.

I had the same set of tires on my old '87 F-150 4X4 for seven or eight years. I rotated them no more that twice, only once I really think. When I replaced them every tire was worn the same, perfectly even with no edge wear or cupping.

There has to be a reason besides just the tires for the rapid uneven wear on the newer trucks.