1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Old Blue XLT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Problem

I have a 70 Ranger XLT that I am looking at possibly buying. The owner has indicated there is a significant steering problem. I have driven the vehicle once and noticed that the column seems to catch when making turns. I looked at the steering column and noticed that where the steering column, that comes through the firewall, meets up with the part of the column that connects to the rack there is a what looks like a rubber washer in between the bolts and brackets that connect the two parts of the column. In any sense the washer and the bracket that connects the two sections is trashed. It is torn and seems to be tearing away. I asked why they had not fixed the column, and they indicated that when they took the truck in, they were told the damage was due to the Cab settling on the frame and thus pushing down on the column. This seemed difficult to swallow, but this is also why they are looking to get rid of it cheap. Is there any possible truth to the body rusting as a possible cause of the steering issue?

Old 06-18-2003, 09:25 AM
DuckRyder
Senior User
Steering Problem

yes, its possible that the cab mounts are rusted to the point that the cab has falled down.

The "Rag Joint" if it is sheredded is a more likely cause. its not hard to replace and there is quite a bit of ajustment in the columb for alighnment to the steering box. The cab mounts would have to be all but gone for it to be so bad as to be outside the range of adjustment.

Is it power steering?

Old 06-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Old Blue XLT
New User
Steering Problem

No on the Power Steering. I think it has just manual steering, but it may have some sort of Power assist, because I recall there being some other stuff hooked up to the column with some lines running to it. It just did not look to have power steering.

Since I have been thinking of buying the pickup (hopefully at a decent price with these problems) I was also thinking of picking up one of the CD shop manuals, and possiby one of the body assembly manuals that I have seen. Would these manuals show me enough to find the needed parts, and possibly fix both the steering and possibly body sag problems?

Old 06-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Faithful Old Road Dog
Elder User
Steering Problem

Take a look at the cab mounts underneath just to verify the condition. They're easy to spot. If they're really bad, you should ask yourself what your plans are with the truck. Consider the amount of time and money you're going spend on the cab mounts. As for the rag joint, that's no big deal.

Old 06-19-2003, 04:00 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Steering Problem

It is possible for the body mounts to rust through and have the body resting on the frame. Which will cause both steering and shifting problems. About $200 worth of materials (cab mount replacements and body mounts) will get you going. The rag joint is cheap, <$30.

If it is manual steering I would look at the balljoints/kingpins being shot too. If you do not do the job yourself, that might cost up to $800! That can cause excessive turning effort and excessive wallet pain.

The labor to weld in new cab mounts is were it will cost you if you do not own a welder. I would look at the floor and rear cab corners too. Once a truck has fallen onto the frame the rest of the truck cab is probably shot too.

Remove the dash and radio and look for rust through on the cowl/windshield wiper area.