2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

How do I...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:25 PM
felix4
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How do I...

Now that I've driven my truck a few times I had some thing come up that I can't figure out. I need to go back and read the manual again but it's been shown that not everything is correct in it. Hopefully a 2nd printing becomes available online soon.

With that said, I've seen some other threads asking how to do things and thought it might be good to have one consolidated thread that is easy (easier) to find.

Again, I am going to go read the documentation again and search threads, but it might be helpful if folks can find the answers here. Thanks.

How do I get the remote start to work? In the settings menu under Remote Start I have System checked. I've also set the duration, climate, and seats. But the remote start won't work. The light on the key fob turns red and that's it.

How do I get the SYNC3 to read text messages? When a text message comes in, it notifies me. I tap on the button to have it read it but the radio just continues playing. I've also gone into the text message list and tapped the little speaker icon next to a text message. Again nothing. Finally, I pressed the SYNC button and asked it to read the text message to no avail.

How do I get the SYNC3 to send a text message? Is it capable of doing this? I pressed the SYNC button and told it to "send text to" somebody, but it doesn't recognize that command. Do I need to use Android Auto for this? On my phone I can just say "OK Google, send text to wife I love you" for example and it does it. Figured that would be something the SYNC3 system could do.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't tried texting yet but did receive one and there was a prompt for voice command to read it.

As far as remote start goes door lock > engine start > engine start all in quick succession it will time out fairly quick if the sequence isn't completed.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:01 PM
achec
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for me on the messages all i had to do go into my phone
settings
-------->Bluetooth
------------->select the truck
--------------------->enable notifications

apple iPhone idk if it solves ur problem but thats the issue i was having and this was the problem

Old 12-02-2016, 07:08 PM
felix4
Senior User
Originally Posted by Uzumati
Haven't tried texting yet but did receive one and there was a prompt for voice command to read it.

As far as remote start goes door lock > engine start > engine start all in quick succession it will time out fairly quick if the sequence isn't completed.
Well son of a b, told you I need to read the manual again. Lock first! On the wife's Cummins you just hit the x2 button twice and that's it. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2016, 07:13 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try holding down the voice control button (a couple of seconds). When I hold mine down it switches from sync3 to siri and then I can send texts through via voice.

I also had to enable notifications on my iphone side so it would send the data to the truck. Now i just hit that hear it command and it reads, before it wouldn't.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:15 PM
felix4
Senior User
Originally Posted by achec
for me on the messages all i had to do go into my phone
settings
-------->Bluetooth
------------->select the truck
--------------------->enable notifications

apple iPhone idk if it solves ur problem but thats the issue i was having and this was the problem
Checked my settings and all of them are enabled.

Phone Audio
Media Audio
Contact Sharing
Message Access

I get the message notification from the SYNC system (sound and pop up on the screen), it just won't read it out loud when I tap the button for it to on the touch screen. It just keeps playing the radio. On the basic SYNC system in our Fiesta, when I would get a text, the radio would mute, I would get the notification sound and a notification on the screen. I would then press the button for it to read it or press the END button and it would go back to the radio.

Maybe I need to enable that setting that mutes the radio if you get a call and switch to handset?

Old 12-02-2016, 07:33 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is your prompt audio turned up? That can only be adjusted once you hit hear it. Mine pops up with new text message received alert through the radio and lowers the radio volume. Also if I remember correctly there was a setting in sync to adjust the radio volume when you get a notification (maybe I am thinking of something else but check???).

Old 12-03-2016, 01:29 AM
Robmiezer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is your phone paired to the truck? All you have to do is tp the talk button and say "text name" then it will verify name and ask for message. Speak message then wait a second, it will repeat text and ask you to say send. I did not adjust any settings. I have done this with bluetooth and android auto.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by felix4
Well son of a b, told you I need to read the manual again. Lock first! On the wife's Cummins you just hit the x2 button twice and that's it. Thanks!
Takes a lot more then hit it twice to get my lady Cummins. If the light blinks red the start did not work. If it's green then it works.

For the life of me I can not figure out why they did not bother doing full two way remote. Extending range alarm notifications was a big part of my after market alarm start on old truck.

I got the dealer to install the shock sensor and seems to work well. Even if the dealer does not know how it works...

For your phone some things may not be fully supported depending on what you have. My black berry will not read messages but no issues with contacts or making calls.