1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Intake and Carb help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Trenton Sadrakula
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake and Carb help

Currently have a 65 Custom Cab f100, and have been upgrading things slowly but surely. Really coming along, but I think it is the original intake manifold for it. It is an edelbrock ford 300, 6C1V is all i can see on it, but I want to replace the carb because it is shot and needed help or some feedback on finding a new intake and single barrel carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-20-2016, 08:22 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Most carbs can be rebuilt to give excellent service, thing to check for that will be a showstopper is excessive slop or clearance past throttle rod. This will cause a vacuum leak and tunability problems. Even if this is the case the carb can be drilled out and bushings installed. Lots of trouble can happen when just any old carb is installed, they can be made to work good but the jetting and venturi size must be understood, power valve, etc for the intended application.

Welcome to FTE btw

Old 04-20-2016, 09:14 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Originally Posted by Trenton Sadrakula
Currently have a 65 Custom Cab f100, and have been upgrading things slowly but surely. Really coming along, but I think it is the original intake manifold for it. It is an edelbrock ford 300, 6C1V is all i can see on it, but I want to replace the carb because it is shot and needed help or some feedback on finding a new intake and single barrel carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ford did not originally install any Edelbrock intake manifolds on these old trucks from the factory. All Ford 300 engines in these old trucks came with a single 1 barrel carburetor on a Ford manifold. If yours says Edelbrock then it was swapped out at some time in the last 51 years, but it's not original to the truck. A good old brand, though.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to FTE!! I am not familiar with carburetor manufacturer other than Holley, If member's in this forum (61-66) are unable to offer suggestions then suggest slide down to the Ford inline 6 engine forum and perhaps forum specific to inline 6 engines can offer suggestions/info??

There are a number of 'how to' rebuild the single barrel carb online, U-Tube has several; suggest review if considering whether to rebuild, or replace?

Again, welcome to FTE, looking forward to your input!!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Trenton Sadrakula
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you suggest on my current situation? The guy who owned it before hand siliconed the intake to the carb, and now it is wrapped. Would it be that the intake didn't fit the carb or what? Maybe just no adapter? Again I'm new to this so any advice will help. Thank you a lot and thanks for the welcome!

Old 04-20-2016, 08:05 PM
markeyd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 66 with a 2 barrel carb I rebuilt. As Tedster said look at the throttle rod (the rod that opens the throttle attached to the hinge that moves when you hit the gas pedal) and jiggle it around. If there is not a lot of play then it may be worth rebuilding. You'll have to identify which carb it is, then but a rebuild kit for that carb. It comes with new gaskets and internal parts. Some parts may have to be purchased separately such as the float, or other parts that fit onto the outside of the carb. The kit will come with a diagram of the carb which identifies all the parts even if not included in the kit . . . maybe. So, if something is torn or worn you know what to buy. Search for pictures of the "Ford 1100 1-bbl carb" or "Carter YF" or "Carter YFA." These are one barrel carbs that came on 1965 era trucks. If you have one of those buy the kit, watch a few youtube videos, and give it a go.

Another option would be to get a whole new manifold, and a 2 or 4 bbl carb to fit on it if what you have is too far gone, or identify the carb you have and replace it - then you wont need a new manifold.

If you can rebuild the one you have though you are probably better off than buying "new" because I have read some iffy things about them . . . most are rebuilt and poorly so . . . but I have never bought a carb. I've only rebuilt the one on my truck. First attempt at ever doing anything like that and it came out well.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
As someone mentioned an Edelbrock manifold is not OEM. Nothing wrong with that, it's nice to have some mods or higher performance but you'll kind of have to determine your specific application in terms of typical usage and intended load hauling, maximum RPM etc.

The trick with carburetors is proper sizing. One that will perform at high RPM and provide maximum power will likely not also provide crisp throttle response and low RPM torque or off idle acceleration. So it's important to select a carburetor that will be well suited to the intended use.