2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires! Please share your experiences.. Research for when I buy new ones

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires! Please share your experiences.. Research for when I buy new ones

Even a quick response with just the favorite tire you've ever owned.. See lots of views with no responses. If you're short on time and don't want to explain why and pro's and con's, Even just the name of your favorite tire would help and give me something to research.. Thanks!

Asking for some help with everyone's personal experience with their AT MT tires.. I've owned several different tires... From the basic Toyo Open Country M/Ts... The Goodrich A/Ts and the Latest and by far my favorite tire so far is the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx which I love, they seem like the perfect balance of more aggressive tread than the Goodrich at with better off road performance but slightly louder at low speeds... And Much quieter and lot nicer to drive on road than the Toyo Mt but obviously not Quite as good in the mud as the MTS..
I might stick with the Coopers but want your advice and experience
I've also been looking into the federal couragia Mt
Or the new Fuel Gripper MT look awesome and seem like they might be a little quiter on road compared to the normal Mt pattern..
Would greatly appreciate any help!

My driving is about 20 miles each way to work and live going off roading when I can and drive on dirt gravel roads on weekends quite often.
And here is a picture of my truck!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
i've run the original BFG Mud Terrain, as well as some Treadwright Guard Dogs, but easily my favorite tires i ever ran were Mickey Thompson MTZs i had on a regular cab 5.4l super duty. got about 66,000 miles on a set when i hit something on the freeway and shredded one.. the others were still just off the wear bars. they had typical mud tire manners in all aspects, but i think they were on the quiet side (from what i always read, comparable to the toyo's you had), wore like IRON obviously, and were decent on ice for an MT. i put another set on right away obviously (after some sticker shock.. i paid $185/tire the first time i bought them when they very first came out, closer to $300 per for the second set! 315/75R16).

i currently have a couple thousand miles on the new BFG All Terrain KO2's on my current F150 and so far i am a huge fan. love the way the new sidewall looks. i'm interested to see how they do this winter.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:54 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
Bridgestone Dueller RVT . Had them on my 2001 and great on and off road... Bought the 2002 with 16 inch Goodyears..... Took them off and put new 17 inch rims and RVT on them due to past experience. Great road tire, great snow tire.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
Bridgestone Dueller RVT . Had them on my 2001 and great on and off road... Bought the 2002 with 16 inch Goodyears..... Took them off and put new 17 inch rims and RVT on them due to past experience. Great road tire, great snow tire.
It would probably help my MPGs a bit but I'm looking for a more aggressive tread. My truck is lifted so I need at least 35" tires, might go up to 37" but I also enjoy going off road as much as possible so at least need a A/T tire possibly M/T but not a huge fan of the standard MT tread pattern on every other truck I see.. As well as the noise.. I appreciate the reply though haven't gotten much help on here. Any At or Mt tires you've enjoyed ?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
Originally Posted by bbender85
i've run the original BFG Mud Terrain, as well as some Treadwright Guard Dogs, but easily my favorite tires i ever ran were Mickey Thompson MTZs i had on a regular cab 5.4l super duty. got about 66,000 miles on a set when i hit something on the freeway and shredded one.. the others were still just off the wear bars. they had typical mud tire manners in all aspects, but i think they were on the quiet side (from what i always read, comparable to the toyo's you had), wore like IRON obviously, and were decent on ice for an MT. i put another set on right away obviously (after some sticker shock.. i paid $185/tire the first time i bought them when they very first came out, closer to $300 per for the second set! 315/75R16).

i currently have a couple thousand miles on the new BFG All Terrain KO2's on my current F150 and so far i am a huge fan. love the way the new sidewall looks. i'm interested to see how they do this winter.
Hey there! Thanks for the reply!
I've never considered the mtz but they do look like they'd be a little quieter based on the tread pattern.. Wasnt a fan of the bfg A/Ts I had but I have also heard good things about the ko2, Their supposed to be a lot better. I am a fan of sidewall tread though makes the truck look better when it's lifted..

Old 11-04-2015, 06:55 AM
ALAN_50501
Senior User
I have had really good luck with hankook DynaPro ATm had them on my 2004 and got on my 2008 know...I had them for 2 years on my 04 until I sold it tires still had lots of tread left

Old 11-04-2015, 07:24 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Derrick Perez
I am a fan of sidewall tread though makes the truck look better when it's lifted..
exactly, same here. i knew i didnt want an MT this time, but none of the AT sidewalls impressed me except the Cooper S/T Maxx and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 (both way too expensive). so when the KO2 came out it was a no-brainer for me. my current truck is only leveled, but still felt it needed a better looking tire, especially since i only went one size over stock.

my old SD with the MTZ's:

first set at ~66,000 miles:

Old 11-04-2015, 09:19 AM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
General Grabber AT2. Good tire good price only downside that may be related to tire size is that I find they pick up a lot of rock and eject it on the truck and everywhere else behind you. Good traction in water/mud/winter and very comparable to bfgoodrich all terrains in looks and performance.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:01 PM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by airm4n
General Grabber AT2. Good tire good price only downside that may be related to tire size is that I find they pick up a lot of rock and eject it on the truck and everywhere else behind you. Good traction in water/mud/winter and very comparable to bfgoodrich all terrains in looks and performance.
it came down to the KO2 and these for me.. i spent a little extra on the KO2 so shallow me didn't aesthetically wish i would have gone KO2 instead of AT2 later on haha.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:34 PM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bbender85
it came down to the KO2 and these for me.. i spent a little extra on the KO2 so shallow me didn't aesthetically wish i would have gone KO2 instead of AT2 later on haha.
Yea they wanted closer to 350$ Canadian per tire for the all terrains and the General Grabbers were only a bit over 200$ a tire so it wasn't even a question for me.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
Yea I've heard good things about general grabber also I'll have to research them more.. I'd have to say I'm a fan of the general grabber more than the at2 just based on looks and tread pattern, like I said I'm a fan of the more aggressive tread and sidewall tread, sidewall tread isn't as important obviously as the actual tire tread, as long as the sidewall is strong.. Also need a tire that will hold up to a lot of weight, I'm a freight forwarder and usually use the cargo van or box truck but sometimes I like to use my own truck to pick up/deliver freight that weighs a lot.. I'm also a fan of the bfg Baja kr2, kinda looks like general grabber..

Old 11-05-2015, 05:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by Derrick Perez;15759964[B
]Even a quick response with just the favorite tire you've ever owned.. See lots of views with no responses. If you're short on time and don't want to explain why and pro's and con's, Even just the name of your favorite tire would help and give me something to research.. Thanks![/B]

Asking for some help with everyone's personal experience with their AT MT tires.. I've owned several different tires... From the basic Toyo Open Country M/Ts... The Goodrich A/Ts and the Latest and by far my favorite tire so far is the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx which I love, they seem like the perfect balance of more aggressive tread than the Goodrich at with better off road performance but slightly louder at low speeds... And Much quieter and lot nicer to drive on road than the Toyo Mt but obviously not Quite as good in the mud as the MTS..
I might stick with the Coopers but want your advice and experience
I've also been looking into the federal couragia Mt
Or the new Fuel Gripper MT look awesome and seem like they might be a little quiter on road compared to the normal Mt pattern..
Would greatly appreciate any help!

My driving is about 20 miles each way to work and live going off roading when I can and drive on dirt gravel roads on weekends quite often.
And here is a picture of my truck!
Originally Posted by Derrick Perez

It would probably help my MPGs a bit but I'm looking for a more aggressive tread. My truck is lifted so I need at least 35" tires, might go up to 37" but I also enjoy going off road as much as possible so at least need a A/T tire possibly M/T but not a huge fan of the standard MT tread pattern on every other truck I see.. As well as the noise.. I appreciate the reply though haven't gotten much help on here. Any At or Mt tires you've enjoyed ?
I'm running the BFG Rugged Terrain right now. I like them very much and I especially like the sidewall tread as I shredded a tire on a patch of plowed road ice a couple years ago. I'm hoping the side tread will give the strength n the sidewall that I'm looking for as SE Virginia doesn't do well with snow/ice removal.

My truck is bone stock so I can't help ya with an appropriate response for a modded truck. As for my favorite tire ever, I loved the Goodyear Wranglers that I had on my old '88. Excellent all Terrain and fantastic on road but quite spendy.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:53 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Yea they wanted closer to 350$ Canadian per tire for the all terrains and the General Grabbers were only a bit over 200$ a tire so it wasn't even a question for me.
i got all four KO2's mounted and balanced with a new TPMS sensor on one wheel for $900 with tax.. i couldn't not get them.