Sponsored by: Moser

Tire recommendations for a 2013 F150 4X4 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:35 PM
leroyinbama
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire recommendations for a 2013 F150 4X4 Lariat

Guys my truck is nearing that time and I really want to make the right choice on this selection by hearing from others. Off course money plays a part in this decision but I will not buy cheap tires and fully expect to spend around thirteen hundred dollars from estimates that I've already have gotten. But I want to buy the right tire seeing how this truck is going to be mine for many more years to come.

My truck as well as the majority of F150 4x4's came with the Goodyear Wranglers and they have been decent tires but I've never been a Goodyear fan. On my previous trucks I either ran Michelin's AT's or BFG's. I usually put around ten to twelve thousand miles a year on it and the majority ( 75%) is on road except during hunting season. I have a work vehicle during the week so most of the driving is done on the weekends and or when we travel to visit family and friends which ranges from 100 miles to 400.

I'm looking for something with a little more aggressive tread than the Michelin's but I also don't want to hear the tires or feel any vibration. Right now I'm leaning towards the BFG KO2 because of tread design but have read some bad reviews as far as ride quality and wear. Plus they have no limited tread wear warranty which is a concern. My friends highly recommend the NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER'S and they drive Fords, Chevy's and Ram's. ( Yes some of them have poor taste in trucks. ) But the tread depth to me isn't as deep as I would like it to be so I'm not sure how well they would perform off road.

Also I put a two inch leveling kit on the truck and will be going to a P285/65R18 instead of the 275's that came on it. So I wanted to hear from the folks that drive what I drive and have first hand experience in tire performance. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:19 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went through the same thing this last October. The stock Michelin A/T 2s we about done. I spent some time working at a Firestone dealer years ago, and really like the Firestone/Bridgestone tires.
So I went with the Bridgestone Dueller Revo 2's. I have the same truck that you do, tire size and all, I'm even using the stock wheels. Mounted and balanced you'll be just under your $1300 budget, so you could even swing an alignment.
I do some volunteer work here in southern Missouri, that takes me those beaten path roads, in mud, snow whatever. These tires have good traction in those conditions, and they seem to hold really well on dry pavement too.
And keep those tires rotated. I do that every service.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A% 2FT+Revo+2&partnum=67SR7REVO2OWL&vehicleSearch=tru e&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2013&aut oModel=F150%204wd&autoModClar=SuperCrew

Unk Bob

Old 03-28-2018, 08:39 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by leroyinbama
My truck as well as the majority of F150 4x4's came with the Goodyear Wranglers and they have been decent tires but I've never been a Goodyear fan.
Just to note that goodyear makes a lot of different tires that are marketed as "wranglers". Basically all Wrangler means is a goodyear light truck tire. There's huge variety within that line in cost, construction and reputation.

Here's a few Wranglers:

Wrangler Trailrunner AT
Wrangler Fortitude HT
Wrangler All-terrain Adventure W/ Kevlar (this one is a good pick for highway with some mild dirt-road or light snow use)
Wrangler Duratrac
Wrangler SR-A
Wrangler AT-S
Wrangler Silentarmor (possibly discontinued or hard to find)
Wrangler Armortrack
Wrangler HT
Wrangler Radial
Wrangler MT-R
Wrangler HP

Old 03-28-2018, 10:53 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
First of all, there's no such thing as a "cheap" tire. Government regulation is so strict that even the Chinese tires will provide good traction and relatively good tread life.

Secondly, $1,300 is a rip off. If a shop gave me a quote like that, I'd run. Far away.

If you want slightly more aggressive looks, but you don't want road noise, then you need to stick to the mild AT tires like the Firestone Destination A/T, Cooper Discoverer AT3, Hankook Dynapro ATm, etc. I've used all of those tires and they will do what you want.

If you'd like a slightly stronger sidewall for hunting season, then look at the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. It's excellent in the rain, is rated for severe snow use, has a great mileage warranty, and it's a really tough tire. I love my current set. Best tire I've ever used. P285/70-17 delivered to my door $633, installation and balancing $100. I've got 28,000 miles on them now and they are awesome.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:24 PM
discochris
Mountain Pass
A lot of people seem to think they are substandard tires, but on my Jeep, I ran General Grabber AT's and loved them. Great looking, great traction, especially in snow (they have the snowflake rating). When it comes time to change over the tires on my F150, I'll be going with them again.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO, for price it's hard to beat the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015. Good solid tire with great traction combined with nice road manners, plus 50K mile treadwear warranty.

If you're wanting another solid value but a bit more aggressive, go with the General Grabber A/T X. It also carries a 50K mile treadwear warranty.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:11 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ubereal2
I went through the same thing this last October. The stock Michelin A/T 2s we about done. I spent some time working at a Firestone dealer years ago, and really like the Firestone/Bridgestone tires.
So I went with the Bridgestone Dueller Revo 2's. I have the same truck that you do, tire size and all, I'm even using the stock wheels. Mounted and balanced you'll be just under your $1300 budget, so you could even swing an alignment.
I do some volunteer work here in southern Missouri, that takes me those beaten path roads, in mud, snow whatever. These tires have good traction in those conditions, and they seem to hold really well on dry pavement too.
And keep those tires rotated. I do that every service.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Clar=SuperCrew

Unk Bob
I had a set of bridgestones on my 2001 F150. I was very happy with them. My tires on my 2013 are goodyear's and they were replaced before I got it...so it'll be awhile... but I'm thinking the bridgestones next time for my 2013

Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
All I can say is I hate my Nitto Terra Grapplers but won't pull them off since I have so much money tied up in them. Will never buy another Nitto Tire again, only reason I did is they had the size 22" A/T tire I wanted at the time.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:19 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
Originally Posted by leroyinbama
My truck as well as the majority of F150 4x4's came with the Goodyear Wranglers and they have been decent tires but I've never been a Goodyear fan.
I can relate to this.
How many miles did you get out of them?

Mine just reached 30k, may go another 5-6k before I pull the trigger. I had replaced Michelins with a set of Coopers on my bride's old Explorer, and was impressed. I see the Cooper Evolution is available in 275/65/18 and has good reviews. Right tire for my needs, and some online retailers are below $600 (incl freight) right now.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a big fan of Mastercraft Tires. Plug your info into here Mastercraft Tires - Tire Selector and see what they recommend.