Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

TIRES? P.Jones, Swampers, BFGs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 11:14 AM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TIRES? P.Jones, Swampers, BFGs??

I'm looking to put some new tires on my truck and I'm having trouble deciding on what the heck to get. Way too many choices! Basically I drive on the road most of the time but I'm a heavy equipment opperator so I have to be able to get in and out of some muddy job sites too. I want a tire that does OK on the road (noise doesn't matter) ,something that looks bad a** on the truck, and something that I can get a few miles on before they are shot. So far I'm looking at P. Jones dirt grips, S. Swamper SSR, BFG mud terrains,..... Anyone have any experience with these tires?? I had BFG mud terrains on my old truck but they were the old style - I know they updated them. Any input would be great!! Thanks.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:34 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am on my 2nd set of BFG M/Ts (new version)...they are the best all around tire you can get. They don't do AMAZING in any area...but they are really good on all areas. I think it's the best tire you can get for on road use and some off road stuff.

Old 02-25-2004, 01:06 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
I think you'd be happiest with the BFGs and PJs on road. And most likely get the most miles out of the BFGs.

I like the looks of the PJs the best myself.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-2004, 01:47 PM
FordPickMeUp
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size tire are you looking to get?...the bfgs they only make the MT'S UP to a 35" and thats it.if you want something bigger id go with the super swamper they are way far better in mud than bfgs and pj's.if you get super swamper radials they will last a long time my friend had them on his truck for the past 2 years and there not worn out at all yet.id get the super swampers if i were you but really its up to you its your truck.

Old 02-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
I'm quite happy with my BFG M/Ts. They are actually not too loud for a mud tire and they ride excellent.

Old 02-25-2004, 03:34 PM
BigDawg54
Elder User
BFG's are a great mud tire if you do a lot of on road driving. i just came back from my first road trip with them and i have no complaints. wear is good so far at just over 2k. quiet, soft ride and do the job in just about all conditions. obviosly not a bogger nor a hwy tire, i think of it as BFG's hardcore all terrain tire. very civilized. dont have any experiance with the PJ's or swammpers. PJ's do look pretty cool though.

Old 02-25-2004, 03:37 PM
77'F-150Mudder
Elder User
Originally posted by FordPickMeUp
What size tire are you looking to get?...the bfgs they only make the MT'S UP to a 35" and thats it.
Thats what I thought too untill Monday. I just saw a set of 37/12.50/18 BFG M/Ts at Les Schwab the other day while getting a nail pulled out. I'm not recommending BFGs by any means (and never will). I'm just saying the bigger size is out there.

Old 02-25-2004, 04:29 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
I'm probably just looking for 33"x12.5" 's for now. I'm just gonna put a leveling kit on the truck for now - not much cash flow lately with the weather... I really liked the look of the Parnelli Jones tires but don't know anyone around here that are running them or how good they are - they cost a lot I know that!!

Old 02-25-2004, 07:51 PM
864x2mudder
Junior User
Parnelli Jones are the best all around tire decent on road, long wear, flat. They are alright off road no bogger but better then mts.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:00 PM
FordPickMeUp
Elder User
Originally posted by 77'F-150Mudder
Thats what I thought too untill Monday. I just saw a set of 37/12.50/18 BFG M/Ts at Les Schwab the other day while getting a nail pulled out. I'm not recommending BFGs by any means (and never will). I'm just saying the bigger size is out there.

Well thats news to me.but one thing there is then you have to go buy 18" rims.who the heck has 18" rims on there truck?no one i know does.evryone i know rums 16" or 16.5 rims.:
cool:

Old 02-25-2004, 09:15 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Well I got to put my 2 cents in because I am looking at a new set of tires soon too. I was a die hard BFG M/T fan for a great on/off road tire. The Pernelli's might be just as good or maybe slight;y better in some areas but I think they cost way too much. But I jumped ship after the goodyear MTR's came out and became popular. It seemed they were very like the bfg's but maybe slightly better all the way around. Petersons 4x4 rated em a few months back and were thrilled with them, tested them in all conditions and were surprised how well they did in rain, snow, and ice (were mud tires usually show their weakness). Most of my offroading will be on snow so I am getting a set of these tires when I get my lift done. And there resanably priced. The local tires store wants $195 a tire (includes mounting and balancing) for a 37"x12.5"x15" tire. That seems to be a decent price compared to what I have seen. I dont have anything handy to compare the price of 33's though.

And yeah BFG makes em bigger than 35" but they are rarely listed and alot of places dont stock em/ or carry them at all.

As for looks, well super swamper is the "industry standard" for awsome looking tires. But the SSR's arent quite as agressive looking than the others. And the BFG's, Goodyear MTR's, and Pernelli Jones all look very similar but I like the looks of the MTR's the best because of the large U shape that comes down the sidewall a ways and goes back up - connecting a pair of tread lugs. I dont mean to sound like a Gdyr salesman, but since my favorite on/off road tires werent mentioned yet, I had to throw em in!

Last edited by 78bigbronco; 02-25-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:48 PM
85351ho
Postmaster
you jsut ogtta decide.....basically the better the tire is on the road, and the longer it lasts, the worse it will be off road. bfg's m/t last like 50-60k, im not sure about pj's but i doubt they would go much more than 30, same for the ssr.....if you do alot of on road driving i would stick with the bfg, they look good, ride good, and on a contruction site you shouldnt need any more tire....besides, you sound like you do alot of grading or sumthing, so you can just go get a 963 and drag your junk out.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:45 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok...out of the tires you mentioned...I would have to say the BFG's.

However, I would like to mention the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.html

Here are the pro's:

improved rolling resistance and uniform ride
circumferential grooves for hydroplane resistance
directional tread pattern with 23 degree lugs
high load rating
superior grip and self cleaning in mud and snow
sidebiters for extra traction & protection

Just my $.02

Old 02-26-2004, 06:00 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
After someones suggestion above a looked at the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R and I really like how they look too. I think it will be a toss up between BFG MT's and the MT/R's. Seems everybody has had good experiences with BFG's - any more input on the MT/R's?? I've seen pictures of them but haven't seen them on a truck first person. Anyone seen/have them on a Superduty??

Old 02-26-2004, 08:05 PM
BigDawg54
Elder User
MT/R's can kiss my butt! they suck in mud, and are loud on the road. my buddy has them and those things get slicker then snot in any mud. only time they clean themselves out is when you get back on the pavement, hunks of mud and rocks everywhere! then if you feel up to it, hum a song along with the tires hahahahahahaha. but they do well on shale rock and hard surfaces. and yes i know, the bfg isnt gods gift to mud tires, but its better then the mtr's if you ask me. gods gift to mud tires are SS Boggers. i do like the look and design of the mickey thompson radial claws, but i didnt want to put a 305/70 on my 16x7 rim

Quick Reply: TIRES? P.Jones, Swampers, BFGs??