Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission question - pretty basic.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:51 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,590 Likes on 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
That sounds like the pump is compromised. But Mark will chime in.
I don't see that at all.

The delay in engaging when cold is often a drainback valve that is leaking. As mentioned above, check the trans fluid after it's been sitting overnight. Check it BEFORE starting the engine. If it shows overfilled, the torque converter has drained into the pan. The delay is the pump refilling the torque converter.

Originally Posted by Tugly
The truck "pulses" with the torque converter locked, and I feel it's in lock-step with the RPMs - not the driveline speed.
I have never seen one with symtoms like this be a transmission problem. It's ALWAYS been an engine problem.

I have confirmed there is no torque converter slip with the TC locked.
Another clue that it isn't the transmission.

The pulsing feels like a partial injector miss when the torque converter is locked,

but I can find nothing wrong with the engine or the injectors.
I recommend looking harder.

If I shift into neutral while rolling down the highway, the ride is smooth at idle, but rev it up and I get the tiniest of pulses with the RPMs.

I just figured that since the crank and the transmission are mechanically connected, I should provide that possible troubleshooting clue.
They are not mechanically connected when the torque converter is unlocked, and especially not connected when the trans is in neutral.

Originally Posted by Dan V
He'll likely ask if you can measure the pressure the pump is making. I'm just spitballing here, I have really no experience other than changing filter/fluid in these things.
Probably not. I'm nearly 100% sure this is an engine problem, not a trans problem.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I just had to ask, didn't I. OK... I have a game plan for the engine.

I'll also check the fluid for drainback.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody!

Old 09-23-2015, 09:20 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I don't see that at all.

The delay in engaging when cold is often a drainback valve that is leaking. As mentioned above, check the trans fluid after it's been sitting overnight. Check it BEFORE starting the engine. If it shows overfilled, the torque converter has drained into the pan. The delay is the pump refilling the torque converter.

They are not mechanically connected when the torque converter is unlocked, and especially not connected when the trans is in neutral.

Probably not. I'm nearly 100% sure this is an engine problem, not a trans problem.
Mark thank you for confirming what I was thinking might be the problem. It was the only thing I could think of as far as being able to hear trans fuild flowing? I would think the metal sound IF it was the drainback valve would be the stator being unbalanced due the TC NOT being full of fuild. Now on Sonnax web page for the drainback valve it says that "OD planetary failure" but I would think that it would also cause premature wear on the TC stator and stator bearing. If it is a stock TC the stator only has a bushing and not a torrington bearing.

So my question for you is what kind of damage would you think could happen if a drain back valve went bad and not replaced?
Thank you as always for your input it is much appreciated!!

I just had to ask, didn't I. OK... I have a game plan for the engine.

I'll also check the fluid for drainback.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody!
Rich I have found in working on boats with inboards and I/O's that harmonic vibrations can sometimes feel like a pulse at just the right rpm's. And as odd as this might seem I have had where changing the harmonic balancer cured the problem. I know I have suggested to you before a Fuildampr and I still think it would help with some of the minor issues you are having.
The problem is you are too astute.
Ford Powerstroke

Old 09-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,590 Likes on 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I would think the metal sound IF it was the drainback valve would be the stator being unbalanced due the TC NOT being full of fuild.
I think that's possible, I hadn't considered that.

Now on Sonnax web page for the drainback valve it says that "OD planetary failure"
Maybe they know something I don't (and that is CERTAINLY possible!) but I can't imagine a way that the drainback valve could possibly impact the OD planetary.

but I would think that it would also cause premature wear on the TC stator and stator bearing. If it is a stock TC the stator only has a bushing and not a torrington bearing.
I can't say that is impossible. I don't think it is likely because the converter can never drain below halfway. Within a second or so of engine CRANK, not start, the converter starts filling again. So the bearing and stator should have fluid almost all the time.

So my question for you is what kind of damage would you think could happen if a drain back valve went bad and not replaced?
None. I do not believe it will hurt anything if this isn't fixed.

If the drainback leaks, in my opinion, the only downside is that after it's sat for enough time for the converter to drain you're going to have to idle before the torque converter will allow the truck to move. That's it.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:06 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Mark for your insight !!

Old 09-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...Rich I have found in working on boats with inboards and I/O's that harmonic vibrations can sometimes feel like a pulse at just the right rpm's. And as odd as this might seem I have had where changing the harmonic balancer cured the problem. I know I have suggested to you before a Fuildampr and I still think it would help with some of the minor issues you are having.
The problem is you are too astute.
Ford Powerstroke
I remember the Fuildampr conversation, it's been on my mind. I need to be sure the pulse is at full RPM and not half RPM. If it's half RPM, then it leads big time to an injector flow imbalance, since the compression checks out.

As astute as I might be - I need to be more "asstute" to sort out vibrations... my butt makes a lot of mistakes.