2000 f-150 Ticking sound. Engine or Transmission ??

Old 04-10-2003, 03:05 PM
PSDChick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 f-150 Ticking sound. Engine or Transmission ??

HELP - I started to notice a ticking sound coming from my engine compartment on my 2000 F-150 (62,000 miles). It's really noticeable under a load, but also gets faster when rpm changes. I took it to dealer - they ran some tests - they tell me that it needs a new engine and torque converter? Thank GOD I purhcased an extended warranty (need to with Fords). However, could this be right? Has anyone else had this happen? All replies are truly appreciated.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:06 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to FTE!
Sorry to hear of your problems. It seems strange that you'd need a new engine and torque converter at the same time.
A few questions:
From what I read, the tick seems related to engine RPM and not related to what gear the transmission is in. Is this correct? Do you have to be moving for the tick to occur, or does it tick while in park? What about coasting in neutral?
I'm guessing you wre not told why you needed new engine/TC.
Would they tell you what is wrong if you asked?
If so, let us know. I sure would like to know what is wrong.
Thanks.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:35 AM
PSDChick
New User

First of all - Thank you for your response!!! I feel a little lost right now, as I haven't had any problems with my truck thus far and I love my truck!

To answer your questions, I'll take them one at a time:

1). I only notice it in what you would call first gear, mostly under a load (when driving very slowly). I haven't noticed it when it is out of gear or when I am on the freeway, as it is harder to hear.

2). I have not tried it while coasting or it being in park. I only notice it when driving slowly up my driveway in first gear (auto trans). So, I will try the coasting and park thing and let you know.

3). I was never told why it needed a new engine other than something to do with the crank shaft slipping. Nothing further was said.

4). If I call them back, they might tell me why it needs a new engine, but I would'nt hold my breath.

5). I took my car out of (Fairview Ford - 6 days in shop) the first dealership and took it to another (Citrus Motors Ford). Citrus had it for two days and told me the "ticking" sound that I reported was a SSM (special service message) for "noise coming from catalytic converter - Some 1997-2003 may exhibit a noise coming from the catalytic converter shell that sounds similar to loose internal components. Ford has no correction available at this time." (They got this from the Oasis they ran on it.) This however, is NOT the "ticking" sound that I am talking about!

3). After I got it home, thought about it more, and read my "Oasis" report that I got from the dealer, I noticed TSB 01-05-08 which reads: "Some 2000/2001 vehicles equipped with 4R70Wauto trans may exhibit a "ticking" or "Clicking" noise in first gear. This may be caused by the intermediate clutch moving inside the transmission. . ." This SOUNDS like my problem, not a new engine & torque converter! or a catalytic converter noise!

So, now what do I do??? Who do I trust to work with me that isn't just going to blow me off?????

Old 04-14-2003, 11:20 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sandee,

Interesting info. Sounds to me like a transmission problem. I'm going to split this thread and move a copy to the "Transmission" forum. Maybe somebody there can help us out with this one, so keep a check in both forums.

How about it guys....any ideas ???

Old 04-25-2003, 09:29 PM
fstfrd00
New User

My truck does the same thing. I really only notice it when I am in a drive thru. I hear a tickeing noise when I am in drive, 1, 2, or reverse.

Old 04-29-2003, 09:26 AM
PSDChick
New User

Well, after being bounced around - no pun intended - I finally met with the Engine Tech and the Tranny Tech at the same time. They heard the noise and believe it is in the engine, not the tranny. Now, since they have had the truck on three separate occasions and can't find the problem, the dealership is now having the Ford area Rep and Ford Engineer come out this week (4/28/03) to look at the truck and decide what they need to do with the "ticking" sound. I will update you further once I know more.

Old 05-11-2003, 08:38 AM
20004x4
New User

Funny thing is i always heard that on my truck but always thought it was the loose hubcaps ticking as they went around. I only heard it when i was going slow. Since i cooked the tranny 14000 miles ago and had it rebuilt i cant say i have heard the ticking, clicking noise anymore. Good luck and do you have an update?

Old 05-14-2003, 10:11 AM
PSDChick
New User

Your ticking/clicking sound is due to a clip that needed to be installed in your transmission.(as per my earlier post) This unfortunately is NOT my problem like I first thought. However, the Ford Area Tech is coming on the 16th of May. (This Friday) I will find out more then. I will keep you posted. Thx. However, I can't possibly be the only one with this problem!!!

Last edited by PSDChick; 05-14-2003 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:09 PM
wildsidecreations
Freshman User

I was in the drive through the other day and heard a slight clanking noise when I accellerated. It sounded almost like a disel and went with the RPM. I thought it was the AC pump. I shut off the AC but it it seems to do it no matter what. Is this the same sound you guys hear? Let me know what you think.

Old 05-27-2003, 09:42 AM
PSDChick
New User

The sound I have is more like a "tapping" sound (if you repeat the word "tap" to yourself over and over that is what it sounds like) That is the best description I can give you. Sorry.

Now, there is another noise that these trucks make and it is the sound that the other guy describes as his hubcaps ticking. This is the transmission and can be fixed easily. There is a TSB out for it.

Now the difference between the "ticking/tapping" sound that I have and the "hubcap" ticking sound is that the hubcap sound is only prominant or heard when driving very slowly, like through a drive-through or in a parking lot, going very slow. The "tapping/ticking" sound I have is related to the rpms and when under a load.

NOW, for my latest info from FORD. The tech came out and had the dealer replace the whole upper end of my engine. (Lifters, etc.) I test drove it a week ago Tuesday and it is STILL making the same sound. So, now we deal with FORD to see what they are willing to do for me! I will keep you updated.

Old 05-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster

Thre is also a problem with the catalytic converter insides shelling out or some such, it makes a clanking sound, mostly notale in a drive thru or just when under a load. just about everyone I have talked to has exoierienced this problem. It is more of a nusiance than anthing, my dealre is waiting on word from Ford to see if they have a differant cat to use. This is not the first truck that they have seen with this problem

Old 05-29-2003, 09:40 AM
PSDChick
New User

Yes, there is a Cat problem also. Mine was replaced, due to the dealer thinking that was my problem. But, it wasn't and now I have a loud vibration/grumbling sound at about 950rpm from the cat converter! This is really beginning to suck! What was a GREAT truck is now becomming a loser!

Old 05-29-2003, 10:22 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster

Well, so far at least the cat problem is just a nuisance, it is not affectiong performance or anything, ort at least it does not seem to be.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:20 AM
PSDChick
New User

You are correct. So far it does not affect performance. They are more concerned with the vibration tearing the cat converter apart inside after quite a bit of use. But, it is only a concern they have and Ford is supposedly "working on a fix".

Old 09-27-2015, 06:36 PM
shawn icksnay (Sam)
New User
I have a 2003 f150 4.2. It began making a tapping noise @ 15k. I was told by Ford that the noise is inherent with the 4.2. Ford wrapped the cats to lessen the noise. It helped a little but the tapping noise continued. I had to replace the valve seals at 200k so I just decided to rebuild the engine. I did not find anything other than normal wear. I still get the tapping noise. It appears to be related to a couple of things, the plenum design acts like an echo chamber and seems to intensify the internal engine noise, especially when the runner flaps are open. This noise then telegraphs down to the front of the transmission housing where the torque converter is and also the exhaust pipes to the cats, making the noise very difficult to pin down at a specific location even with a stethoscope. It has always run fine except for the tapping noise.

Last edited by shawn icksnay (Sam); 09-27-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Grammer