Join Chapter, Leader: Tim Young

Snohomish County Smog requirements

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snohomish County Smog requirements

Hello all I will be moving up to Lynnwood mid September. I am curious to see what the smog laws are.
Im most curious about my the smog requirements for my 1997 f350 cclb 460.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:53 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,353 Posts
Being from that area, not sure why anyone would go there. Snohomish County is one of the most fubar countys in the country. Oh well, you probably have no choice.

All you need and more. Short version: If your truck passes in CA, it will pass in WA.

WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Moving? Get Washington license plates

Old 08-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Wow now i'm really looking forward to moving lol I really appreciate your help. MY truck passes with flying colors I was just curious I know some counties do not require smog tests.

Like I said we are moving up form California not really knowing the area we decided on lynnwood to get started my wife will be working at the hospital in Edmonds. I dont want her to have to drive to far for work. That may all change tho.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Lynwood to Edmonds shouldn't be a disaster.... I5 is a disaster north of Seattle. That link has a zip code deal in it also--you'll have to look around from the home page.

Actually, I do miss living up there--friends and family up there. Folks are long gone, but I have two sibs, aunts and uncles and the clock is ticking on all of us. I married a local--no interest in leaving the area no matter how bad it gets here tax wise....

Some of where I grew up I can't even recognize and get my bearings anymore.

Research well. And good luck. Get them CA plates off asap, as them PNW redneck types will run you off the road.

And mind the heroin. Don't buy into the $8 first packet--they jack the price up higher and higher as you go along. And if a guy named Curt tries to sell you meth, kill him and send me a PM, I'll let you use my name....

Old 08-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
1.LMAO You lost me after the the home page.
2.As far as the Cali plates go eh i'm used to driving in Los Angeles traffic so that happens daily.
3.The heroin thing im not worried about I cant afford to do drugs I drive a 1 ton crew cab 460 .

Old 08-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Is your truck OBD2 or OBD1? My 99 Super Duty with OBD2 capabilities is still sniff tested. As long as your catalytic converter is heated up good before you go and have no codes you should be fine. I would also recommend ensuring your truck is tuned up good prior though.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:58 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IDK what 85e150six4mtod is talking about, Snohomish county is one of the best counties in the Puget Sound. Less liberal, fewer taxes, fewer and more laid back police, etc. A bit more crime and drugs then let's say Bellevue, but less then Seattle. But IIRC he's kinda the grumpy liberal type.

Much of unincorporated Snohomish County doesn't have to smog, but if your address is in a city limits you'll very likely have to. It's based on zip code, here's a page that lists the zip codes.
http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/ZipC...ip_codes07.pdf

The OBDI smog test is easy, it's a sniffer, standards are low, and they likely won't open the hood. If it runs well it will pass, only thing that trips some up is that they will likely test the fuel caps. You'll have to test for your new registration then every other year for another 6 years until your truck is IIRC 24 years old.

FWIW some tricks can be done to lower your registration fees. Fees are largely based on GCW, you're paying for how much your allowed to weight in 2000lb increments. But I've never even heard of a non-commercial vehicle being ticketed for being over the weight on their registration. The minimum GCW you're allowed is 150% of scale weight, the scale weight number they have is often high. You can change it if you bring in a scale ticket. So if you can bring in a scale ticket that says less then 5,360lbs you can get a GCW of only 8000lbs and save on fees. (6700 scale for 10,000 gross)

Welcome to a freer State, get yourself a CPL while your at it and enjoy having your 2nd amendment rights back.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Wow, that's the worst thing I've ever been called here. I'm from the Marysville/Arlington area. As to how fubar I think it is, I will spare the details, but leave you with two words about Snohomish County that prove it's fubar, or at least is was in part: Hans Dunshee.

Anyway, enjoy the trip and change and be sure to take advantage of some the best scenery and open spaces you've seen in a long time if ever. West to the peninsula, or north over the North Cascades highway, or out to the wheat fields via Hiway 2, it cain't be beat!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:37 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Lynwood to Edmonds shouldn't be a disaster.... I5 is a disaster north of Seattle. That link has a zip code deal in it also--you'll have to look around from the home page.

Actually, I do miss living up there--friends and family up there. Folks are long gone, but I have two sibs, aunts and uncles and the clock is ticking on all of us. I married a local--no interest in leaving the area no matter how bad it gets here tax wise....

Some of where I grew up I can't even recognize and get my bearings anymore.

Research well. And good luck. Get them CA plates off asap, as them PNW redneck types will run you off the road.

And mind the heroin. Don't buy into the $8 first packet--they jack the price up higher and higher as you go along. And if a guy named Curt tries to sell you meth, kill him and send me a PM, I'll let you use my name....
Originally Posted by Crewcabber
1.LMAO You lost me after the the home page.
2.As far as the Cali plates go eh i'm used to driving in Los Angeles traffic so that happens daily.
3.The heroin thing im not worried about I cant afford to do drugs I drive a 1 ton crew cab 460 .

They won't run him off the road. They will just stop in front of him going down the on ramp.
Oh wait a minute. they do that to everyone. But it's not the rednecks it the greenies. They don't
have a clue on how to merge into traffic.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-20-2015, 06:12 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Thanks guys I appreciate it My truck is a 97 f350 CCLB 4x4 4" lift on 35's with a 460 e4od and is OBD1.

BRUTEFORD tell me more about this CPL you speak of I am very pro 2nd amendment
and I will be in 98087 so smogging it will be

Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
BRUTEFORD tell me more about this CPL you speak of I am very pro 2nd amendment
and I will be in 98087 so smogging it will be
CPL = Concealed Pistol License, unlike Komiefornia where you have to be somebody who knows somebody to get one. Washington is what's called a 'shall issue' State. That means if you are legally capable of possessing a firearm then they cannot deny you a CPL. All it takes is about $55 and a trip to a local sheriff's station(usually) for prints and you'll get it in the mail in 1-2 months. It's good for 5 years, renewal is IIRC $30 if you do it before it expires.

We also have no scary looking rifle laws, no capacity laws, suppressors and SBRs are legal, we have a version of stand your ground and the castle doctrine, open carry is legal, and a one of a kind self defense reimbursement law. Unfortunately a private sale background check law passed recently, full auto isn't legal yet, and still cant carry in bars and such. Also it's a Pistol license, so no loaded long guns except open carry and no concealed weapon size knives, asps, etc.

Knives are actually a sketchy part of the laws that needs work. In some cities a regular folder any longer then IIRC 3" is considered a weapon. Put it it on a pocket, bag, etc. and it's now a concealed weapon. A very rarely enforced law but it is on the books. But you push that to any blade over 4" and be a jerk to a cop and the odds of enforcement go up. Also auto opening knives are illegal but so far speedsafe knives are on the legal side of they grey area. I carry a speedsafe, got arrested with it once, they kept it for a while I think really hoping they could charge me for it, they didn't.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Awesome my gun is legal and registered now here in the smog and gun **** state. Just a Ruger P89 9mm. I have 15 rd. capacity mags. which I was lucky enough to have had before the high capacity laws kicked in. So 55 bucks and a couple months sounds good I assume I have to take my gun with me to show them? Might have to pick up a sub or compact to carry. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:58 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
.... I assume I have to take my gun with me to show them?
Not at all, the gun is not a factor at all in regards to the CPL. The CPL applies to all guns legally defined as pistols, not just one you register with the CPL like in some states.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
They won't run him off the road. They will just stop in front of him going down the on ramp.
Oh wait a minute. they do that to everyone. But it's not the rednecks it the greenies. They don't
have a clue on how to merge into traffic.
Seems all the vehicles I drive cruise right around them like they are standing still.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:42 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Seems all the vehicles I drive cruise right around them like they are standing still.
Maybe because they are.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder