1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Strange Stalling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:41 AM
bwpatton1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Stalling Issues

Im fairly new to diesels let alone old powerstrokes, so excuse me if I sound ignorant. I purchased an early 1997 F350 7.3 a couple of months ago for very cheap because it had oil in the water. Turns out that it needed new injector cups. That was an easy fix. Its got 318k on it but the motor was rebuilt by International at some point in the past (?) It runs very strong and even feels better than my friends dads 97 with 266k on the clock. The Check Engine light has been on for a while and I went and got the codes pulled. Damn was that a mistake. It pulled:
P0237-Turbo Boost Sensor A circuit low
P0475-SAE exhaust pressure control valve malfunction
P0713-Trans fluid temp sensor circuit high
P1280- Integrated control panel circuit out of range, low
P0344- CPS malfunction
P0340- CPS Intermittent
P1211-ICP higher or lower than desired
The truck starts right up with a little hesitation. Transmission shifts hard when its cold sometimes but I think a new solenoid pack will remedy that and the P0713 code. The issue that just appeared was it stalling, The truck stalls at low speeds. It appears to only be in driveways at idle or moving at less than 5 mph but when you get it out on the road it runs fine. Once it stalls it will start right back with no problem. I replaced the CPS sensor with a Genuine motorcraft one because that seemed most logical but the codes didnt clear themselves and the truck is still stalling intermittently. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I love this old beast but she needs to run right!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM
sean9049
Senior User
how did the pigtail for the cps look?
are you clearing the codes once you read them?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:12 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing I would do is check the cps pigtail and wires. Then the icp sensor for oil inside. The cps codes are common. I wouldn't worry about them. I think the icp code is pretty common to but still check that sensor. Also on the back of the hpop is the ipr. It has a tin nut on it that has a tendency to loosen and fall off. Make sure it's there and snug(a little more than finger tight).

Old 07-09-2015, 12:37 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bwpatton1
P1280- Integrated control panel circuit out of range, low
Wherever that description came from, it's a misinterpretation. ICP is the Injection Control Pressure regulator (it's the solenoid/valve that sets the hydraulic oil injection pressure), not "Integrated control panel". In any event, a lot of sensors/regulators reading low/high at the same time might indicate a general problem with PCM connection. Or it might just be a bunch of old codes; as mentioned above, it would be good to clear the codes and re-scan after driving it a while (esp. after some stall events).
The truck stalls at low speeds. It appears to only be in driveways at idle or moving at less than 5 mph but when you get it out on the road it runs fine. Once it stalls it will start right back with no problem.
Is this with the tranny in gear, or in neutral? If it's in gear, it would be interesting to re-create the scenarios, but shift to neutral when slowing down / stopping. If it doesn't stall then, you have to wonder if it's the torque converter failing to unlock.

Do your brake lights work?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:32 PM
bwpatton1
New User
I only scanned yesterday then cleared the codes because was borrowed from my friend's work. I drove the truck quite a bit today (50 miles or so) and it never stalled but the CEL is still on. I want to go get it scanned again maybe Ill see if my friend can take the truck to work tomorrow.... As for the P0128 Code, the reader was a Genisys Evo so that might have been the issue. Not a ford specific scanner maybe?

Old 07-09-2015, 07:45 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, any code description directly from a device is meaningless. ANY scanner, no matter what brand or how compatible, only gets the CODE (because that's all that the PCM stores). Any interpretation / description of the code has to come from a document that's specific to the model/series of vehicle. Sorry, I shoulda posted this link last time - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ble-codes.html - one worth bookmarking.

Just the fact that that Genisys device could obtain the codes is pretty good. Most generic OBD-II devices cannot obtain codes from our trucks.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 PM
bwpatton1
New User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Is this with the tranny in gear, or in neutral? If it's in gear, it would be interesting to re-create the scenarios, but shift to neutral when slowing down / stopping. If it doesn't stall then, you have to wonder if it's the torque converter failing to unlock.

Do your brake lights work?
Sorry, I forgot to answer you in that last post. It doesnt matter if its in drive or park it just dies with no warning. My brake lights work fine for the time being. There is this strange rattling that comes from the transmission sometimes. It comes and goes, I havent heard anything like that but I dont believe its related to this stall issue. I think that rattling is something hitting the transmission, maybe a heat shield? Havent taken the time to crawl under there to figure it out yet.
Thank you for the link to the codes! That will be very handy in the future. I guess I should have figured out that the code descriptions wouldnt be accurate, assuming seems to get the best of me sometimes Would you know the cheapest route to go on a basic scanner type setup for these trucks? I know alot of scanners dont work with them and I was surprised that this one did but I cant afford 1200 to go purchase one like it.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 PM
sean9049
Senior User
my exhuast used to rattle on my little trans heat shield when i went into reverse and while going down the road randomly some adjustments and that was gone, hope that helps