1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Help!! 1978 e250

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Tacojefe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! 1978 e250

Hello just purchased a 78 e250 from my neighbor. I plan on traveling in it, I want to fix it up custom and get it running strong. Everything under the hood is super dirty. Where do I start ? Car runs, has really bad exhaust smell I believe ? Also it shakes A lot. Help!
-Female owned*

Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacojefe
-Female owned*
Are you the above-described owner?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Tacojefe
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Are you the above-described owner?
Yes, why do you ask ?

Old 02-28-2015, 12:51 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
Waddaya know, I'm also female owned

There's some guidance here for cleaning a grimy engine - How to Clean a Car Engine: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow . They don't talk much about carburetors and distributors which need special attention. Bag them well before spraying water. I'd try if first with more scrubbing and garden hose pressure then resort to a coin op wash with high pressure water as a drastic measure. Make sure the coin op you use allows engine washing. Most in my area don't. Don't forget to clean below, too.

What engine does it have? Sounds like it needs at least a tune up and has needed one for a looong time.

Sixto
93 E150 Chateau 5.8 190K miles

Old 02-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Tacojefe
New User
Originally Posted by tabijan
Waddaya know, I'm also female owned

There's some guidance here for cleaning a grimy engine - How to Clean a Car Engine: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow . They don't talk much about carburetors and distributors which need special attention. Bag them well before spraying water. I'd try if first with more scrubbing and garden hose pressure then resort to a coin op wash with high pressure water as a drastic measure. Make sure the coin op you use allows engine washing. Most in my area don't. Don't forget to clean below, too.

What engine does it have? Sounds like it needs at least a tune up and has needed one for a looong time.

Sixto

Okay I will look into cleaning it. I believe it's a 351 CID Windsor V8 engine. So what do you think we should start fixing first? So we can get it running great,rebuild the motor and trans or just wait?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:41 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
It sounds like it's not running right so you should look into the engine first. Are there service records from previous owners for a sense of what was done recently so you don't rebuild a carburetor that was rebuilt last month? If you don't have the knowledge or confidence to figure out what's wrong, have a pre-purchase inspection done on the van. Some AAA offices offer the service and check yelp reviews. This will give you a sense of what needs attention first and a sense of what it'll cost to get the van running right. In the absence of service records, the first thing *I* would do is a basic tune up - plugs, wires, cap, check ignition timing, new oil and filter, new fuel filter, check the air filter, etc. If it drives acceptably and gets better than 10 mpg, consider moving to other maintenance tasks and look deeper into problem areas. If the tune up does nothing, I'd get a more specialized professional opinion. Unless there's something magical about this van - 4X4, fabulous customization, only 50K miles on the odometer, etc., I would call it a learning experience and look for a van in better condition. You don't want to put a fresh engine into a van with a worn transmission, tired rear axle, shot suspension and rusty frame.

Sixto

Old 03-01-2015, 06:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Tacojefe
Yes, why do you ask ?
Curious to know if we're talking to the actual owner or a proxy thereof. Very often we'll have wives posting questions at their husband's request, the conversations become quite muddled as a result. When we're speaking directly to the owner or he/she who'll be doing the actual work or repair makes it a lot easier for all of us.

Can you ask the previous owner about the shaking you describe? Does it seem to be more related to the engine itself of does this happen only when driving the van?

Old 03-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tabijan
It sounds like it's not running right so you should look into the engine first. Are there service records from previous owners for a sense of what was done recently so you don't rebuild a carburetor that was rebuilt last month? If you don't have the knowledge or confidence to figure out what's wrong, have a pre-purchase inspection done on the van. Some AAA offices offer the service and check yelp reviews. This will give you a sense of what needs attention first and a sense of what it'll cost to get the van running right. In the absence of service records, the first thing *I* would do is a basic tune up - plugs, wires, cap, check ignition timing, new oil and filter, new fuel filter, check the air filter, etc. If it drives acceptably and gets better than 10 mpg, consider moving to other maintenance tasks and look deeper into problem areas. If the tune up does nothing, I'd get a more specialized professional opinion. Unless there's something magical about this van - 4X4, fabulous customization, only 50K miles on the odometer, etc., I would call it a learning experience and look for a van in better condition. You don't want to put a fresh engine into a van with a worn transmission, tired rear axle, shot suspension and rusty frame.

Sixto
First, your original questions were quite short.........
"Also it shakes A lot"
Second, the advice that tabijan posted were very correct.
Just because the engine is not running on top performance, There are way too many variables that could cause this, rotted out vacuum lines? Should you replace the engine because of this? and have the same issue latter on?

The van in question is 37 years old, and I don't think AAA will even want to look at it.

This is a "project" short and simple, do you have the time and knowledge (which can be learned) tools and experience, to "jump" into something like this???

As far as "washing the engine" link, that is something that should Not be done on an engine of this age. The electrical connectors are old, cracked, and possibility corroded, and interjecting water into them will finish them off for good.
A simple cleaning is to use some Simple Green solution sprayed on, and left to dissolve grease/oil deposits, keeping away from electrical wires/connectors. Also, air pressure can do a vast amount of cleaning, and safety done.

To answer your........
"Also it shakes A lot"
.......could be Many items.......is this while it sits and idles? Bad plugs/wires, timing off, exhaust problems, intake problems.
Driving down the road? Bad tires, worn out suspension, alignment problems, worn out U-joints.

So, ask away on your questions, just it helps everyone if your more perspicacious on the issue at hand, and someone will jump in with an answer.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Tacojefe
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Curious to know if we're talking to the actual owner or a proxy thereof. Very often we'll have wives posting questions at their husband's request, the conversations become quite muddled as a result. When we're speaking directly to the owner or he/she who'll be doing the actual work or repair makes it a lot easier for all of us.

Can you ask the previous owner about the shaking you describe? Does it seem to be more related to the engine itself of does this happen only when driving the van?

Hello, nope FULLY female owned, i am a 22 yr old who loves and always loved working on cars. It's my FIRST project so I'm a bit nervous, I do have a bro who's helping us out but just thought I could use this site as help also.
The van shakes and has a jumping to it at stop lights, I could ask the previous owner, since he's my neighbor. I haven't got anything checked out this far professionally. Just wondering since its a 78 what would be the first thing YOU or anyone on here would change, since it's so old

Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
First thing to check is spark plug wires--those can cause your shaking.

From there inspect everything related to the ignition system and the vacuum hoses & lines too---those under the hood. If not properly maintained or at least inspected over time those parts will deteriorate causing performance issues like you're describing.

Feel free to ask any questions here---we're glad to help but do try to be as specific as possible so we can zero in more quickly.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM
VannerDude
Senior User
Just wanted to add a word of advice.

These gentlemen answer the same questions a lot and speak from experience. Do your best to follow their advice and it will amaze you the results you may achieve. They have helped me get my vehicles back to running. I could have fiddled for a long time (I did anyway) and not been successful.

VannerDude

Old 03-02-2015, 03:47 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the very first thing you WILL do is open your wallet/purse
anything that old will take $$$ to make roadworthy