4x4 completely out. Could it be simple?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 AM
WoundedVet
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Start with checking the relevant fuses.

The vacuum leak is important in that your hubs won't engage via the ESOF controls. If you have the manual locking overides, you can always engage the hubs that way. However, that leak isn't the cause of your particular reported symptom of no activity at all.
I'll go check this right now. Thank you for the advice!

Old 01-08-2015, 03:49 PM
WoundedVet
Senior User
Okay, so both high and low works when the the hubs are locked, but not free. I tested it on the ice to confirm.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WoundedVet
Okay, so both high and low works when the the hubs are locked, but not free. I tested it on the ice to confirm.
Look for a vacuum leak.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:28 PM
David - WI
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was the same way, this was the problem: More Information for DORMAN 600402

Like I said, it took about 2 minutes to replace. This is the valve that directs the vacuum to the hubs to lock them in; mine was working intermittently.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
If the PVH solenoid fails (leaks), the dash controls for the ESOF system will appear to be normal, but the hubs will never lock automatically. You'd have to manually lock the hubs to have 4X4.

Make certain that the symptoms are correctly identified, ie:

"Dash controls - No response no lights"
"Dash controls appear to work but no engagement"
etc

Old 01-10-2015, 02:51 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was following this thread cause I get no response at the dial ( no lights or clunk for low) HOWEVER the posters question did not state the true problem ( from the sound of things he had lights on the dash but no action with the traction) SO I"MM TAKING OVER

My plan when I got the time & it's above 28 DEG's was to test for power at the shift motor plug BUT I like the idea of looking at a fuse 1st . Anyone know which ones to look at ...Thanks

Old 01-10-2015, 04:38 PM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One Vet to another my vacuum lines were both rotten and cracked thru right at the hubs. Even after trimming and resetting them they still leaked. This winter I lock hubs manually when I think I might need 4x4 like pending snow. I never had the problem with default to defrost or anything else just no 4x4 or inconsistent engaging of 4x4.

Even then I found the wire harness behind the switch would fall out even when latched. After 3 fails I just glued it in. I figure I can always cut another out next trip to the wrecking yard.

Best thing to do is check all of the vacuum lines, the wires behind and the hubs when you can. Again one Vet to another until the VA agrees to replace my hip this becomes a summer project so I manually lock hubs. Still the best truck/ car I have ever owned.

Thanks for your service and best of luck. Consider posting region you live in as many of us will jump in and help out when we can, but that only works if we know we are close by.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:04 PM
WoundedVet
Senior User
Originally Posted by mtnsammy
One Vet to another my vacuum lines were both rotten and cracked thru right at the hubs. Even after trimming and resetting them they still leaked. This winter I lock hubs manually when I think I might need 4x4 like pending snow. I never had the problem with default to defrost or anything else just no 4x4 or inconsistent engaging of 4x4.

Even then I found the wire harness behind the switch would fall out even when latched. After 3 fails I just glued it in. I figure I can always cut another out next trip to the wrecking yard.

Best thing to do is check all of the vacuum lines, the wires behind and the hubs when you can. Again one Vet to another until the VA agrees to replace my hip this becomes a summer project so I manually lock hubs. Still the best truck/ car I have ever owned.

Thanks for your service and best of luck. Consider posting region you live in as many of us will jump in and help out when we can, but that only works if we know we are close by.
Thank you.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 PM
WoundedVet
Senior User
Just as an update, in case someone else runs into it, it was simply the aftermarket hubs that the last owner put on. They don't work with the vacuum lines, thus rendering the interior switch pointless. The mechanic I saw stated that the hubs were superior to OEM, so if I didn't mind manually locking, I should keep them.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:59 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by WoundedVet
Just as an update, in case someone else runs into it, it was simply the aftermarket hubs that the last owner put on. They don't work with the vacuum lines, thus rendering the interior switch pointless. The mechanic I saw stated that the hubs were superior to OEM, so if I didn't mind manually locking, I should keep them.
Thanks for coming back and providing some feedback on your solution to the issue. And also of course, Thank you for your service!
That interior dash switch is still pretty important, it is needed to control your transfer case to shift from 2WD to 4WD or LOW range, it just no longer controls the front locking hubs.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
When you have a A/C on, does it default to defrost?

If so, you have a vaccum leak at one of the hubs and your lines may need to be replaced.

You should also consider greasing your hubs as this is a commonly neglected maintenance item. Riffraff Diesel sells a fitting that works perfectly and can save you the cost of having to replace hubs.

Front ABS Grease-able Block Off Fitting - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

You may not have to go this far, but just in case: Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Any way to covert abs to just rear wheels. I would love to be able to grease my hubs up front

Old 11-15-2015, 06:52 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Vince79vette
Any way to covert abs to just rear wheels. I would love to be able to grease my hubs up front
Other than having the capability to use the grease fitting, why?

Old 11-15-2015, 06:54 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by mecdac
Other than having the capability to use the grease fitting, why?
I have never really liked abs and my abs up front is already messed up. So i have to already buy a new sensor or if i could just delete the front ones and have the back ones i would rather have that.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:04 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
The ABS hole grease fitting is only meant to be used WHILE ACTUALLY GREASING THE FRONT HUBS and then it gets removed and the ABS sensors get put back in. I don't know if you will find any aftermarket help in defeating the factory ABS system.
Does your EX just need a new sensor to be back to properly functioning? Pretty simple fix really.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
The ABS hole grease fitting is only meant to be used WHILE ACTUALLY GREASING THE FRONT HUBS and then it gets removed and the ABS sensors get put back in. I don't know if you will find any aftermarket help in defeating the factory ABS system.
Does your EX just need a new sensor to be back to properly functioning? Pretty simple fix really.
Ya i am sure thats all it needs. I just saw on there site it was ment for rear abs systems and i figured that must be a thing. I got a price for it and its like 50 some