Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'89 XLT Lariat minor repair questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Jeff W.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 XLT Lariat minor repair questions...

So after joining here and getting a couple of my questions answered, by some great folks, I figured I would consolidate a few and start working more of the minor issues plagueing my truck.

1) Ignition switch - has to be turned pretty hard and far to crank the truck (cranks fine and runs fine) and if I don't turn it back a little the electrical system has anamolies (electric window won't go up or down, wipers won't work, etc.). Is this just an old ignition switch that could do for a replacing?

2) Pin striping - at some point in its history, the left side door was repaired/replaced and repainted. The pin striping was never put back on. Its a larger light blue stripe with a smaller grey/silver stripe in the middle. Is it possible to have a shop match this or should I just look for a close facsimile and just replace all of it?

3) Right side window - works sporadically from either it's own switch or the left side switch. Bad connection or bad motor?

4) General question for my OCD - I know in a lot of older vehicles that the gear marker on the column tends to not line up properly with the gear the vehicle is in. Is there a way to correct that or just something I have to deal with?

5) Oil pressure gauge bouncing at idle - when I am at a stop sign, the oil pressure gauge just bounces around, but is steady while driving. The needle cap (black cover) has fallen off and into the area within the glass. Does that keep the needle from bouncing and if so, is there a way to get into the dash to retrieve it and put it back on?

I think that's is for now. LOL I will definitely be hitting you fine folks up for more info in the future.

Cheers,
Jeff

Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff W.
So after joining here and getting a couple of my questions answered, by some great folks, I figured I would consolidate a few and start working more of the minor issues plagueing my truck.

1) Ignition switch - has to be turned pretty hard and far to crank the truck (cranks fine and runs fine) and if I don't turn it back a little the electrical system has anamolies (electric window won't go up or down, wipers won't work, etc.). Is this just an old ignition switch that could do for a replacing?

2) Pin striping - at some point in its history, the left side door was repaired/replaced and repainted. The pin striping was never put back on. Its a larger light blue stripe with a smaller grey/silver stripe in the middle. Is it possible to have a shop match this or should I just look for a close facsimile and just replace all of it?

3) Right side window - works sporadically from either it's own switch or the left side switch. Bad connection or bad motor?

4) General question for my OCD - I know in a lot of older vehicles that the gear marker on the column tends to not line up properly with the gear the vehicle is in. Is there a way to correct that or just something I have to deal with?

5) Oil pressure gauge bouncing at idle - when I am at a stop sign, the oil pressure gauge just bounces around, but is steady while driving. The needle cap (black cover) has fallen off and into the area within the glass. Does that keep the needle from bouncing and if so, is there a way to get into the dash to retrieve it and put it back on?

I think that's is for now. LOL I will definitely be hitting you fine folks up for more info in the future.

Cheers,
Jeff
1. My farm truck/dump truck does the same thing with the ignition switch.. probably just old... it doesn't bother me that much so I don't worry about it
2. Auto body place should be able to match the paint and do the pin stripes and all that
3. Don't know as I don't have power anything
4. My truck had this problem and I think you will probably just have to deal with it unless u can adjust the linkage somewhere... I put a Hurst quarter stick shifter in my truck that I bought used for cheap so I don't have to worry about that any more
5. You can get into the gauges by taking the whole gauge cluster out and unscrewing the screws to take the clear plastic cover off the gauges

Old 11-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Jeff W.
Senior User
Thanks for the feedback Steve. On question 2, it was painted, but they didn't do the pin stripe. Didn't know if anyone here that has an older truck as had it painted and if they would be able to match something that old. On 4, I'll look at the linkage. I will probably just live with it unless something actually mechanically fails. LOL

How difficult would you rate it to get the gauge cluster out? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but not a professional by any means. If I can figure out how to get something apart without breaking it, I can usually fix it and put it back together. LOL

Old 11-18-2014, 01:14 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jeff W.
Thanks for the feedback Steve. On question 2, it was painted, but they didn't do the pin stripe. Didn't know if anyone here that has an older truck as had it painted and if they would be able to match something that old. On 4, I'll look at the linkage. I will probably just live with it unless something actually mechanically fails. LOL

How difficult would you rate it to get the gauge cluster out? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but not a professional by any means. If I can figure out how to get something apart without breaking it, I can usually fix it and put it back together. LOL
I've had my gauge cluster out probably at least 50 times.. the hardest part is taking the light switch switch out... to do that u have to go under the dash and with a decently long screwdriver reach up there and there is a little button to push with the end of the screwdriver.. push that and pull out the switch and the rest is just easy screws to undo and then once you get to the cluster undo those screws then unplug the speedo cable then the dash wires and it's out... btw make sure u unplug your battery before taking the light switch out because when u pull the switch out you lights will come on.. for the shifter just make sure it's in park and it should be fine.. and the pin stripe a body shop should be able to match it

Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Jeff W.
Senior User
Thanks a ton Steve, I'll give the cluster a go this weekend and see what happens. I'm good with heavy duty parts on things like Caterpillar equipment, but I worry when it comes to more delicate stuff! LOL

Old 11-19-2014, 08:14 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
On the ignition switch, the most common cause of this kind of problem is the actuator about to break. Try putting your tilt wheel straight before you turn the key, see if that helps.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:57 AM
steve33444
Elder User
No problem

Old 11-20-2014, 07:49 AM
Jeff W.
Senior User
Originally Posted by jas88
On the ignition switch, the most common cause of this kind of problem is the actuator about to break. Try putting your tilt wheel straight before you turn the key, see if that helps.
I will give that a try.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1) mine is kinda stiff feeling(worse in winter). I use it softly and always kind wiggle it back after starting so as not to create issues with stuff not working. 5 yrs without issue.

2) have to either do the whole truck different or find someone to match it custom.

3) My guess is the motor. My drivers side would give fits, I finally just replaced it and didn't have to worry about it being stuck down in the rain!!

4) my shift indicator is slow and doesn't always return to P when in park. Seems to line up otherwise. Not sure if there is anything you can really do with it?

5)How many miles on truck? When you rev it, it gets steady? Could be weak oil pump or basically worn out motor(clearances too loose). Might just be faulty sending unit. For a few bucks put a new one on and see if that cures it?

Old 11-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Jeff W.
Senior User
Originally Posted by Freightrain
1) mine is kinda stiff feeling(worse in winter). I use it softly and always kind wiggle it back after starting so as not to create issues with stuff not working. 5 yrs without issue.

2) have to either do the whole truck different or find someone to match it custom.

3) My guess is the motor. My drivers side would give fits, I finally just replaced it and didn't have to worry about it being stuck down in the rain!!

4) my shift indicator is slow and doesn't always return to P when in park. Seems to line up otherwise. Not sure if there is anything you can really do with it?

5)How many miles on truck? When you rev it, it gets steady? Could be weak oil pump or basically worn out motor(clearances too loose). Might just be faulty sending unit. For a few bucks put a new one on and see if that cures it?
1) Yeah, I think at some point I'm just going to replace the ignition switch. As that seems to be the main problem.

2) Custom sounds expensive, probably cheaper to have the old pin stripes removed and new ones put on huh?

3) Guess I'll order a motor. Probably is the cause as the driver's side works fine.

4) This I will probably just live with unless it gets really bad or starts to affect the truck mechanically.

5) Says 64K+ but sure there are more miles than that. It runs great, sounds great, just wants to knock off sometimes when I put it in park. Can't see any leaks on the engine or underneath the truck after it sits.