6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Hesitation driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Banjobanger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation driving me nuts

Okay. I am probably posting a question that has been asked a bunch of times, but I really want to see if anyone has the real answer. I have a 2014 F250 with the 3.55 rear end and 6500 miles and since new it has a hesitation from a dead stop that I cannot determine if it is normal or not. I took it into a dealer that specializes in diesels and they drove it and told me it is normal. Every time I see someone with the 6.7 I ask them if they have the same problem and I get all kinds of explanations from turbo lag to protecting the tranny. The hesitation I feel is when I throttle from a dead stop. It is a very slight hesitation, but very noticeable, almost like a little "dead spot." If I take my foot off the brake and let it take off on its own for just a second or two and then throttle smoothly it is not there at all. Is anyone out there experiencing this same thing? If this is not normal, I want to do everything I can to get it fixed. It is driving me nuts.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had a similar or same thing. When I leave from a stop with light throttle, its like, come on, go... Then you feel like your going to get killed by other traffic and push harder, then it jumps ahead. Annoying as hell.

If I just leave it at light throttle, it slowly but steadily gets rolling. Just feels like no response at first.

7800 miles and it slowly seems to be getting better. Or maybe I am just using more throttle.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 PM
watchluvr4ever
Senior User
I noticed the exact same thing with my 2014 Lariat. I believe the delay has to do with the electronic throttle control.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:59 AM
oldakerw
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I get the same thing with slight hesitation on light throttle and big hesitation with full throttle. To me it feels like the same as I got with Honda Ridgeline which was my first fly by wire throttle system. Isn't Ford SD also fly by wire. I will try the take your foot off the brake thing.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 AM
watchluvr4ever
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldakerw
I get the same thing with slight hesitation on light throttle and big hesitation with full throttle. To me it feels like the same as I got with Honda Ridgeline which was my first fly by wire throttle system. Isn't Ford SD also fly by wire. I will try the take your foot off the brake thing.
Fly by wire or in cars called drive by wire was what I was referring to. It is a delay in the ETC.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:32 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by oldakerw
My '99 7.3 was throttle by wire, as is my '14 6.7, so I would assume that everything in between has been as well. I haven't even had a gasser in the last 8 years that wasn't electronic throttle control.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:58 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Turbo lag and the emissions strategy is the issue.

Unless excessive it is a normal operation. You have to roll into the throttle.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:15 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can eliminate much of this with a performance tuner, but if you dump lots of fuel before the turbo spools, it's just money up in smoke and not a lot of power to the ground.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:18 PM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look into this from BD diesel
http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/300P

I bought one to put in my '15, it does work. But my dad has a 2013 F150 Ecoboost that has real bad throttle response, so I put it in that instead. I have another ordered for my truck. There is a noticeable difference once the BD box has been installed. It does not cure all of the wide open from a dead stop but does help. What I noticed most is the truck started moving with less throttle input, started accelerating faster if for example to pass someone.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:52 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't like it either, but I notice this on most new vehicles from the factory. The little rental Sonic my wife has, has a bad delay if you mash the 'go' pedal. Since the car only has 112 HP you tend to want to give it some throttle off the line. Rolling into the throttle works better - and this car has the non-turbo motor in it. I also had a Tundra that was WAY WAY worse than our SuperDuties are. Mainly because it was unpredictable.

For some reason the aftermarket tuners can figure out a way to get around the delay and the factory can't. While I like aftermarket tuners, for my current truck I have stayed away to try and keep the warranty intact. On the 7.3s you could actually change the pedal to get a better response before the tuning companies figured out a way to do it thru the PCM.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Anybody ever have a car that used cable to throttle that they used for a long time? On the two vehicles that I had that used them I had to use zip ties because the cable had "stretched", until I could get a replacement throttle cable in. I prefer the new technology. I am not racing this thing on the track so I will live with the lag.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:59 AM
watchluvr4ever
Senior User
Originally Posted by sledhead_24_7
Look into this from BD diesel http://www.dieselperformance.com/ind...uct/index/300P I bought one to put in my '15, it does work. But my dad has a 2013 F150 Ecoboost that has real bad throttle response, so I put it in that instead. I have another ordered for my truck. There is a noticeable difference once the BD box has been installed. It does not cure all of the wide open from a dead stop but does help. What I noticed most is the truck started moving with less throttle input, started accelerating faster if for example to pass someone.
I've owned Mini Coopers and you can buy a similar device called a Sprint Booster. It looks like they also make them for our trucks http://www.sprintboostersales.com/sp....cfm?make=Ford.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:42 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same thing with my truck. Most noticeable when turning right from a stop sign and light on the pedal, the 1-2 shift it seems like the engine almost shuts down for a second or two. In town driving at 40mph I had push the pedal down quick and get no response at all too but if I slowly push it then it accelerates.

I had it into the dealer for another issue and the tech drove it and then found the trans low on fluid so they replaced the tq converter and flywheel. No change to the way the truck drives though. It seems like a gas truck with a real bad misfire issue when it happens.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Sterling6.7
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by TRENT310
You can eliminate much of this with a performance tuner, but if you dump lots of fuel before the turbo spools, it's just money up in smoke and not a lot of power to the ground.
+1

For everyone that feels that this is something else, try a boosted launch. With your foot on the brake, add fuel to achieve 5-10 lbs of boost. Take your foot off the brake and you will notice that this is truly turbo lag. And your back tires will not thank you for this.