1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Coolant filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:35 PM
kdwellssr
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am applying lots of penitrating fluid to the plug in the coolant pump but what size is the plug?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 AM
kdwellssr
Tuned
Plug size was 3/8" npt. Installed the filter system. Put it in a little different that instructions because of location and excess. Still able to relocate if needed in future.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:33 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What filter kit work with a 97? I have looked on e bay and riff raff and they say 99 to 03 I want to just do the spin on. I can build it but would like to just buy a kit. well I have found a few kits but not sure if one is better or not. Ball valves useful? do the charged filters work on the basic kits? it just a spin on...?? Probably cheaper to build on..

Old 03-16-2016, 10:25 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Charged spin on filters work on these kits. I got mine at Dieselsite.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:05 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mcali2
What filter kit work with a 97? I have looked on e bay and riff raff and they say 99 to 03 I want to just do the spin on. I can build it but would like to just buy a kit. well I have found a few kits but not sure if one is better or not. Ball valves useful? do the charged filters work on the basic kits? it just a spin on...?? Probably cheaper to build on..
Easy enough to build your own 'kit' and FleetFilter has plenty of options for charged and non-charged filters. Check out my posts in the OT thread for details on what I did.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16111419
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16095736
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16101913

Old 03-17-2016, 05:33 PM
kdwellssr
Tuned
Originally Posted by mcali2
I have a 97 with the 7.3 and I got mine here... www.nasautomotive.com Get filters from Napa or Wix and on Ebay. I like it.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:11 AM
TOMMAY
Junior User
Originally Posted by kdwellssr
I have a 97 with the 7.3 and I got mine here... www.nasautomotive.com Get filters from Napa or Wix and on Ebay. I like it.

Thanks for the info. Just ordered the kit for 83.99 on sale with no tax and free shipping.

I'm a little confused about using the sca charged filters. Some of the threads say that the sca charged filters only add what is needed to maintain the proper sca levels, somehow. But I've also read that they releases a constant amount of sca and that you could end up with and excess amount of additive in the coolant. Do different brands behave differently ?

Thanks again.

Tom

Old 03-18-2016, 10:50 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by TOMMAY
Thanks for the info. Just ordered the kit for 83.99 on sale with no tax and free shipping.

I'm a little confused about using the sca charged filters. Some of the threads say that the sca charged filters only add what is needed to maintain the proper sca levels, somehow. But I've also read that they releases a constant amount of sca and that you could end up with and excess amount of additive in the coolant. Do different brands behave differently ?

Thanks again.

Tom
Maybe this helps you:
NEW PENRAY SYNTHETIC MEDIA COOLANT FILTERSPenray
http://www.dieseltechmag.com/2015/02...oolant-filters

Old 03-18-2016, 11:36 AM
kdwellssr
Tuned
[QUOTE=TOMMAY;16134601]Thanks for the info. Just ordered the kit for 83.99 on sale with no tax and free shipping.

Tom/ Quote..

Thanks again.
What I would do its... use this situation to change coolant. Refill with Pre Charge coolant and then use a filter without the charge. Then test the coolant every so of tnen depending on amount of mileage you are putting on. Then add the additive whenever needed. If you are not going to change fluid you should test the coolant to see where you are and add additive as needed. Additive from parts store isn't all that expensive

Old 03-18-2016, 03:46 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
Appreciate the advice.

I had a coolant flush and service with the proper coolant and distilled water when I bought the truck about two years ago. Since then I've driven about twenty thousand miles. I added a little coolant from time to time due to a minor leak after a transmission rebuild where the transmission lines go into the lower part of the radiator. The fittings have since stopped leaking.

I bought a bottle of test strips today and everything tested out perfect, PH 8.0, coolant -34 and 1200 ppm on sca's. Guess I'll not bother with a filter with sca's at this time . The coolant looks nice and clean so I'm gonna run it for a while longer.

I'm up in Kentucky now ant the only test strips they had at the Napa store were in a bottle of fifty with an expiration date of Jan of 17. Guess I could test the sca's every week and still couldn't use them all up. If anybody needs some strips drop me your address and I'll mail you some free of charge when I get back home in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again

Tom

Old 03-18-2016, 09:47 PM
kdwellssr
Tuned
Originally Posted by TOMMAY
Appreciate the advice.

I had a coolant flush and service with the proper coolant and distilled water when I bought the truck about two years ago. Since then I've driven about twenty thousand miles. I added a little coolant from time to time due to a minor leak after a transmission rebuild where the transmission lines go into the lower part of the radiator. The fittings have since stopped leaking.

I bought a bottle of test strips today and everything tested out perfect, PH 8.0, coolant -34 and 1200 ppm on sca's. Guess I'll not bother with a filter with sca's at this time . The coolant looks nice and clean so I'm gonna run it for a while longer.

I'm up in Kentucky now ant the only test strips they had at the Napa store were in a bottle of fifty with an expiration date of Jan of 17. Guess I could test the sca's every week and still couldn't use them all up. If anybody needs some strips drop me your address and I'll mail you some free of charge when I get back home in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again

Tom
It's a good idea to have some Fleet Charge on hand and use it anytime you need to top off.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:08 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
Yep,got that. The beauty of having a utility body,you can carry spare everythings and tools.