1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

98 Ranger ball joints-Get upper wishbone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:45 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Ranger ball joints-Get upper wishbone?

Hi to all. I'm getting ready to do the ball joints but haven't started yet. I bought all the individual joints but decided against buying the whole top wishbone. Was that a mistake? I do have a 20 ton press. If you buy a new top wishbone with the joint already in it, does it come with any other new parts like sleeves/bushing at the wide end of the wishbone. I can still take the new tops back and get the wishbones if I want. Would appreciate hearing from you guys that been there. Anybody have advice on a good spring compressor too? Tx in advance

Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I recommend replacing the entire arm, so that you will get a new ball joint and new bushings. That's what I plan on doing when I "refresh" my Ranger's front-end this summer.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If my memory serves me right. The factory upper ball joint is not replaceable the after markets (Moog) come with replaceable ball joints..

Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by T18skyguy
Hi to all. I'm getting ready to do the ball joints but haven't started yet. I bought all the individual joints but decided against buying the whole top wishbone. Was that a mistake? I do have a 20 ton press. If you buy a new top wishbone with the joint already in it, does it come with any other new parts like sleeves/bushing at the wide end of the wishbone. I can still take the new tops back and get the wishbones if I want. Would appreciate hearing from you guys that been there. Anybody have advice on a good spring compressor too? Tx in advance
I had both upper & lower BJ's replaced on my 99 4.0L, so yes both upper & lower can be replaced. Here is the link from the bottom of our Tech Info thread, where we discussed the subject. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ll-joints.html

Since you have a press, in post #14 I have a link to a site that has photos & a very good write up with tips on what to watch out for, on how to do this, so you might be interested in having a look-see there.

My front end only had a little over 60K on it & other parts were still in good shape when I had the upper & lower BJ's replaced, BUT if you have lots of miles on the front end parts & they are worn, as has been suggsested, maybe seriously consider replacing assemblys so to get all new bushings, ect.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:04 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
On a 98 they maybe replaceable on an 03 they where not. Anyway you more than likely will need the adjustable caster camber bolts for the upper control arms. A whole lot cheaper for you to purchase and install rather then the alignment shop

Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 AM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Much thanks to you guys your friggin awesome. I'll take a look at that thread, but thats what I needed to know, so if you do the whole arm you do get some extra parts. That being the case might as well do it right. thanks again

Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I've been able to find and watch a couple of YouTube videos showing how to change out the upper arm(s). Might be worth it for you to take a few minutes and do the same.

FWIW: On my '98 4x4 w/torsion bar suspension, the OEM passenger side upper arm is a two-piece design. Moog makes two types of replacement arms for that side: one-piece and two-piece. I don't know if your Ranger is the same way, but you should confirm so that you know what you are dealing with.

Check out: http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pd...K10_106_En.pdf

Old 04-15-2014, 10:51 AM
T18skyguy
Elder User
PawPaw, I just printed out your awesome article. It's like having you in the shop with me. Roger, printed yours out too. I would have tried to turn that cam bolt and you saved me from a big mistake. One other question; do the springs need to be totally removed? On a lot of vehicles they do but I don't see that here(would be a blessing). And PawPaw, not meaning to hijack my own thread, but is that a Bendpak 12K lift I see? Thats what I have and I love the thing. I still love to work on cars, but at 62 years old don't like the laying under them anymore. And Roger and Rock ty you guys also. PawPaw, would you be an ex-navy guy? I remember you mentioning wrenching on planes.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
The photo link isn't my gararge, so I can't take any credit for whats in the link. It's in Hawaii as I remember, so I don't have a clue on his lift. Yah I'm an ole Navy airdale, plane captain & AEM in CARAWON-12/VAW-12 on the old AD-5W "Guppy", when the squadron was still at NAS Quonset Pt. RI, way back in the mid to late 50's. I got out in Oct 59, just as we recieved the first two "Stoof's with a Roof" WF-2, so never got to bust any knuckles on those puppies!!!! lol

Let us know how it goes on the front end work.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
I have a 9k Gibraltar lift I have had for years now. Best money I ever spent. Like you at 63 years of age I don't much care to crawl under them anymore. And no I don't take the springs out to change the lower ball joint. I Just support the lower control arm on a floor jack.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
TY Roger, the only thing I regret about the lift is that I didn't buy it sooner. Young people move around a lot, so for them I would say get a portable lift, but mines a Bendpak with wide ramps. Those wide ramps hold all your tools like a workbench is an added bonus. thanks for the tip on the springs.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced the ball joints only at 80,000 miles becuase the originals went out at about 60,000. Thanks Ford for making such crappy balljoints. I used MOOG and they are just as bad as Ford OEM. I now have 160,000 and am in need of balljoints. Again I am only going to replace the balljoint and screw the upper and lower control arms.
Bad thing about MOOG is the poor quality of the rubber boots they use on their greasable balljoints. After about 20,000 miles the rubber falls apart