Sponsored by:

New exhaust is too quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM
illini community
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New exhaust is too quiet!

I just had the y pipe replaced and a new flowmaster 40 delta installed. The muffler shop told me beforehand that I needed to be prepared for it being loud. When it was fired up he had a look of shock on his face because he couldn't believe how quiet it was. You can certainly know that it's running but it's a soft rumble and really doesn't do much at wot. It's a 2000 v10. I'm not looking for obnoxious but I would like a nice growl when I want! Ideas?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:41 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Thumbs up You need a diesel for noiz

There is no replacement for displacement.

You are just not moving enough air.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by illini community
I just had the y pipe replaced and a new flowmaster 40 delta installed. The muffler shop told me beforehand that I needed to be prepared for it being loud. When it was fired up he had a look of shock on his face because he couldn't believe how quiet it was. You can certainly know that it's running but it's a soft rumble and really doesn't do much at wot. It's a 2000 v10. I'm not looking for obnoxious but I would like a nice growl when I want! Ideas?

get rid of the muffler, i've been 3 years now with NO muffler and i LOVE it. every time i think of putting something on there i hit the gas again and fall in love all over again.

and yes i tow my travel trailer with it and its not annoying or overbearing for me or my passengers...even my grandma says it sounds good!
(you can slightly hear the exhaust in this vid with my 4k trailer behind the truck at highway speeds)

Old 02-09-2014, 07:44 PM
59CRL
Senior User
The Delta flow is way too quiet.... get the regular 40 series....

Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Believe it or not, the muffler actually needs time to "break in". The Aeroturbine muffler I have on my '01 Excursion took about 10K to break in and settle. In other words, the more I drove the truck the deeper and throatier it sounded.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went through a few different combinations on my v10. First a 40 series. Sounded good but not loud enough. Then I took the cat off. Loved it. Got A LOT louder. But you smell more exhaust fumes now.

then, stupidly, I decided to take the muffler off. Its stupid loud now and very raspy at high rpms.

I want to put the muffler back on to get the good sound back, but I'm leaving the cat off. You wont have any check engine light issues with yours as there isn't any o2 sensors after the cat to throw a code. Maybe try that and see how you like it. I eventually wanna upgrade the Y pipe also on mine

Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Believe it or not, the muffler actually needs time to "break in". The Aeroturbine muffler I have on my '01 Excursion took about 10K to break in and settle. In other words, the more I drove the truck the deeper and throatier it sounded.
This right here. I had a FM70 installed and it sounds completely different now than it did 6 months ago when I had it installed.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have noticed the same on my Gibson, the older it gets the better it sounds. I also made a change by cutting the excess pipe off that was inside the tip.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 AM
MalwareDRay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had a fm40 installed on my grand Cherokee a fee years back, I remember that it sound great.... WITHOUT the tailpipe.
I heard it without the tailpipe when they were installing and it sounded great.. they put it on, and it didn't sound nearly as good so I had them take it right off.

Now keep in mind the grand Cherokee had a pretty short tailpipe compared to the Ex's so I wouldn't be surprised that this would be even worse on these trucks..
I have a 7.3 and I'm still trying to figure out if I want a muffler or not and now that you made me remember this experience, I just might ditch the muffler when I change the exhaust to a 4

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will say I when I fired up the truck after dropping the stock exhaust, it sounded pretty damned mean with just the cat... But it was definitely too loud for us, wife likes to sleep in the back on road trips as I like to leave at the asscrack of dawn... The Gibson glasspack is about as loud as I can get without drone. Drone is the real killer when it comes to chambered style mufflers.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 AM
MalwareDRay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Archion
I will say I when I fired up the truck after dropping the stock exhaust, it sounded pretty damned mean with just the cat... But it was definitely too loud for us, wife likes to sleep in the back on road trips as I like to leave at the asscrack of dawn... The Gibson glasspack is about as loud as I can get without drone. Drone is the real killer when it comes to chambered style mufflers.
True that. my FM40 had an extremely loud drone in the cab. It was difficult to have a conversation. .. even worse driving around with a migraine (which is a daily thing for me)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using IB AutoGroup