Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Senior User

smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.
2014 backup camera

I have been trying to add a 2nd backup camera that isn't in the tailgate. I have to remove the tailgate when I haul my cab-over camper, and that's when the camera would be most useful.

So, I bought a ford tailgate wire harness ($12) and a cheap backup camera that mounts to the license plate. Not surprisingly, it doesn't work. To further understand, I probed the wires with an oscilloscope and it appears that the Grey/purple wire has LIN traffic on it when the truck is running. I assume the controller is querying the camera, and the lack of response results in the message displayed "Camera not found, contact dealer...".

So there are a few options:
1) Spend $275 on a ford camera and fabricate a mount (grid will likely be off when mounted in a different location)
2) Decode LIN response from camera and emulate with $2.75 micro controller. Cheap but would take some time.
3) Buy a $30 stand alone monitor for additional camera(s) and figure out where/how to mount

Taking the camera in and out of the tailgate every time is not an option for me. I think I'm going with #3 at this point.
2004 Cobra 'Commuter' 14psi + N20 = 580 ft/lbs at the wheels
2009 Yamaha Raider - 113 ci, 96whp/117wtq
Old 11-26-2013, 03:05 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
#3 is the best choice. Mount it where you like. Power it full time or when you reverse.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 11-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Elder User

ScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud of
Hey Justin, have you looked into the Lock Pick?
I know there are some previous threads around.

Lock Pick Backup Cameras, Override Kits & Harnesses
'12 SuperDuty F-350 Lariat FX4 - Rancho 4" Radius Arm Lift, 7000 Monotubes, TGC Bilstein Dual Steer Stab, Fuel Octane 20x9's inside Toyo AT II 35x12.50's, Sun Roof, Leer Shell 100xq Browning Package, Bed Rug & Swing Out Tool Boxes, Recon this that & then some, AMP Powersteps.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Senior User

Leonandlisa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here is another thought, if you like to monitor everything on your truck, you can get an Edge CTS monitor and hook a camera to that. I have my Edge CTS hooked up to the camera on the back of my trailer to help me navigate when backing.

Obviously more expensive, but you can get a monitoring system and camera set up at the same time.

Leon

2011 Keystone Fuzion 302 Toyhauler
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Senior User

CascadeF250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel View Post
I have been trying to add a 2nd backup camera that isn't in the tailgate. I have to remove the tailgate when I haul my cab-over camper, and that's when the camera would be most useful.

So, I bought a ford tailgate wire harness ($12) and a cheap backup camera that mounts to the license plate. Not surprisingly, it doesn't work. To further understand, I probed the wires with an oscilloscope and it appears that the Grey/purple wire has LIN traffic on it when the truck is running. I assume the controller is querying the camera, and the lack of response results in the message displayed "Camera not found, contact dealer...".

So there are a few options:
1) Spend $275 on a ford camera and fabricate a mount (grid will likely be off when mounted in a different location)
2) Decode LIN response from camera and emulate with $2.75 micro controller. Cheap but would take some time.
3) Buy a $30 stand alone monitor for additional camera(s) and figure out where/how to mount

Taking the camera in and out of the tailgate every time is not an option for me. I think I'm going with #3 at this point.
Are you sure you didn't get a defective aftermarket camera? Three years ago I bought a factory tailgate wiring harness and did to my 2011 what you are trying to do to your 14. I can't remember where I got my cameras but I think it was from amazon.My first camera was faulty. I mounted the the second camera above my license plate and it still works great. I looked at the ford tailgate camera and it was not practical to move it.

Good luck
Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM
New User

Kiss4aFrog is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd vote for #3 and then #2. #1 is just too much $$$

Of if you do some junk yard diving and find a tailgate you can pull the camera from it as that should plug and play. You'd just need to make some sort of mount.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-26-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Postmaster

Tomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputationTomahawk has a superb reputation
GSi1 XD
I mounted mine between the tailgate and bumper.

Click the image to open in full size.
Pointed down....

Click the image to open in full size.
..it looks like this. Sorry for the crappy photo.

'71 F350 build thread
2009 F250 6.4 XLT CC LB 4X4 - Sold, 2005 F250 6.0 XLT SC LB 4X4 - Sold, 2001 F250 5.4 XLT SC LB 4X4 - Sold
Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Senior User

smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.smoky_diesel has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeF250 View Post
Are you sure you didn't get a defective aftermarket camera? Three years ago I bought a factory tailgate wiring harness and did to my 2011 what you are trying to do to your 14. I can't remember where I got my cameras but I think it was from amazon.My first camera was faulty. I mounted the the second camera above my license plate and it still works great. I looked at the ford tailgate camera and it was not practical to move it.

Good luck
I tested the camera using the A/V input and the video feed works fine. I am pretty sure that the sync system needs to get a response from the camera before it will display an image when in reverse. The screen is not blank, it has a message displayed indicating that the camera was not found. I bet if i left the factory camera connected to the LIN bus and spliced in the video from the new camera it would work.

I think there have been changes made from the 2011/12 system. The '14 lariat system is the '13 nav system w/o the nav feature.

The lockpick is interesting, but not sure if compatible with a '14 and it won't solve the communication issue. It could be used to use the A/V input, but one of the goals is to use the existing factory video wiring and automatic operation of the reverse camera.

Most cheap monitors have dual video inputs, that would be nice for a 2nd camera mounted in another location for viewing while driving (horses, boat trailer, ect)
Old 01-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Senior User

I went ahead and installed a cheap monitor to the coin holder/filler piece. The monitor is OK but the Kooltron camera doen't have a wide enough VERTICAL viewing angle to be useful for hitching up a trailer. You can adjust the camera to see either the trailer, or the ball but not both. The camera mount covers the top 1" of the license plate, which is illegal in AZ, so I had to fab some spacers and move it up above the top of the plate.

So I don't reccomend this camera if you have a trailer..
Amazon.com: Koolertron Rear View License Plate Backup CMOS Camera: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Koolertron Rear View License Plate Backup CMOS Camera: Car Electronics

Old 01-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Elder User

ScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud ofScottyDog has much to be proud of
Nice install on the Monitor Justin! I like the idea/concept
So what is plan "B" (different camera?), or are you just going to run with it...

Post a pic of the screenshot when you get a chance.

Thx
'12 SuperDuty F-350 Lariat FX4 - Rancho 4" Radius Arm Lift, 7000 Monotubes, TGC Bilstein Dual Steer Stab, Fuel Octane 20x9's inside Toyo AT II 35x12.50's, Sun Roof, Leer Shell 100xq Browning Package, Bed Rug & Swing Out Tool Boxes, Recon this that & then some, AMP Powersteps.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:23 PM