Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Junior User

dcagnolatti is starting off with a positive reputation.
chrome plating

I have a few parts that I need to get chrome plated for the '59. My problem is, I don't want to spend $150 to chrome a part that I paid $10 for. This truck ain't ever going to be a show truck, so I don't need museum quality on these parts. Does anyone know of a place that will do it for reasonable prices?

TIA
Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Joe

Maltman has a good reputation on FTE.Maltman has a good reputation on FTE.
Try advanced plating in Nashville-800.588.6686

I have a customer that uses them and they have great chrome work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcagnolatti View Post
I have a few parts that I need to get chrome plated for the '59. My problem is, I don't want to spend $150 to chrome a part that I paid $10 for. This truck ain't ever going to be a show truck, so I don't need museum quality on these parts. Does anyone know of a place that will do it for reasonable prices?

TIA
Old 11-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltman View Post
Try advanced plating in Nashville-800.588.6686 I have a customer that uses them and they have great chrome work.
I looked at their web site. Minimum $225 to chrome plate one dual headlight door. That's way outside my budget and close to double what most other places charge.

Anyone know a place with more reasonable prices?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior User

Danleig is starting off with a positive reputation.
You have to face facts, chrome plating is expensive.

Even if you did it yourself, the $ outlay is significant, but at least you could have some control over the costs;

Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc

Short of taking the rechroming route, it's still aesthetically permissible to paint items the same or complimentary color as your vehicle, IMHO.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Joe

Maltman has a good reputation on FTE.Maltman has a good reputation on FTE.
The only other source I know of close to you is wheel repair of TN. Talk to Rod. Best I can do for you sirrrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcagnolatti View Post
I looked at their web site. Minimum $225 to chrome plate one dual headlight door. That's way outside my budget and close to double what most other places charge.

Anyone know a place with more reasonable prices?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Elder User

Damifiknow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Powder Coating is really awesome these days. Might not look like chrome but will still look good.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Senior User

Danleig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damifiknow View Post
Powder Coating is really awesome these days. Might not look like chrome but will still look good.
Oh yeah I forgot about that, there's a guy in town here who does a bright silver coating and a clear powder coat on top that looks pretty darn good. Check into that!
Old 11-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Junior User

GPinNC is starting off with a positive reputation.
It sounds like the guy selling these '59 emblems on ebay restores chrome parts. Read his description:

Old 11-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Like every form of entertainment, there is a price of admission, you can't get around it. You might save a bit by going to a matinee, but you have to pay the usual and customary ticket prices!My wife still has it in her mind that clothes should cost about what they did when she was a highschooler in the 70's.

So, 150.00 for re-chroming is what I would have expected to pay, even though for only a few small items, a few decades back. And believe me, at that price I doubt you'll be getting museum quality show-chrome.The price you paid for the part is irrelevant. You gotta pay to play.
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danleig View Post
You have to face facts, chrome plating is expensive.

Even if you did it yourself, the $ outlay is significant, but at least you could have some control over the costs;

Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc

Short of taking the rechroming route, it's still aesthetically permissible to paint items the same or complimentary color as your vehicle, IMHO.
These kits are a good option. Maybe I can team up with my brother who's restoring a model A and we can do all our parts and share the cost. Thanks for the link.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Elder User

scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have used a company in TN as well. Leonard Plating (ph. 615-254-8308) to do small parts, their prices seem to be the best I've found. Good quality work, a bit slow but I guess if you have good prices, you should hope to be busy. Here is their link.

http://www.leonardplatingcompany.com/
Old 11-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Junior User

I ended up dropping of the headlight doors at Superior Plating in Houston. I got several recommendations for their work, and their prices were fairly reasonable at $100 each part, $200 for the pair. I also got a tour of their shop when I dropped off the parts. Very impressive operation. They do some extra steps that most shops skip.

acid bath
wash
copper plate
wash
buff
nickle plate
wash
buff
chrome plate
buff and polish

The interesting thing about the process is that the chrome plating only takes about 8 seconds. Copper and nickle plating take hours.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks