1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Timing marks: do they equal one degree or two?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM
DougieWebb
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing marks: do they equal one degree or two?

Also, factory specs are 10-12 deg BTDC on my 400. BUT mine is heavily modified, and heavily cammed....is 15 degrees too far advanced?

Any opinions appreciated!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:52 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DougieWebb
is 15 degrees too far advanced?
15 degrees isn't too much initial advance (IF, you're running ported vacuum and not manifold vacuum), in fact, 15 degrees is probably not enough advance for your particular motor, just be sure that whatever advance you add on the front end (initial) you subtract an equal amount on the back end (mechanical), you don't want to exceed 36-38 total.

On a hi-po motor you want as much initial advance as you can get on the crank and the least amount from the mechanical advance in the distributor, e.g. 18-24 degrees initial timing on the crank and 12-20 degrees of mechanical advance in the distributor to obtain your total of 36-38 degrees of total timing.

You need advance at low rpm to make the engine pull hard, it'll have much better throttle response, a better idle vacuum signal, and it'll run cooler & cleaner.

(the timing marks equal 2 degrees btw)

Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 PM
DougieWebb
Junior User
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
15 degrees isn't too much initial advance (IF, you're running ported vacuum and not manifold vacuum), in fact, 15 degrees is probably not enough advance for your particular motor, just be sure that whatever advance you add on the front end (initial) you subtract an equal amount on the back end (mechanical), you don't want to exceed 36-38 total.

On a hi-po motor you want as much initial advance as you can get on the crank and the least amount from the mechanical advance in the distributor, e.g. 18-24 degrees initial timing on the crank and 12-20 degrees of mechanical advance in the distributor to obtain your total of 36-38 degrees of total timing.

You need advance at low rpm to make the engine pull hard, it'll have much better throttle response, a better idle vacuum signal, and it'll run cooler & cleaner.

(the timing marks equal 2 degrees btw)
Great stuff, Highboy. And I appreciate the tips on the total advance.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Hickfied
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each mark is 2 degrees. Run as much initial advance as you can. I have a 94 Cobra with aluminum heads that can handle 18* before detonation occurs.

I dont think I have ever had a iron headed engine that would take more than 14* without detonation at low RPM cruising.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 PM
DougieWebb
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hickfied
Each mark is 2 degrees. Run as much initial advance as you can. I have a 94 Cobra with aluminum heads that can handle 18* before detonation occurs.

I dont think I have ever had a iron headed engine that would take more than 14* without detonation at low RPM cruising.
I just took it to about 17-18 and took it around the block. Highboy, you're right, the throttle response was better and crisper. No pinging. Idle set at about 600 and it seems to like that.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
I just took it to about 17-18 and took it around the block. Highboy, you're right, the throttle response was better and crisper. No pinging. Idle set at about 600 and it seems to like that.
You can run as much initial advance as the motor will tolerate (up to a certain point) just be sure to listen for detonation (pinging), if you hear it, back off in 2 degree increments until it goes away.

Your motor will usually let you know when you've advanced the timing too far, the starter will struggle to turn the engine over, especially when hot, if you reach this point you've gone too far, back off a few degrees.

Just remember, when you add more initial advance on the crank you need to limit the mechanical advance in the distributor an equal amount, otherwise, the motor will start to ping well before the mechanical advance is "all in" around 3,000 rpms.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:42 PM
DougieWebb
Junior User
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
You can run as much initial advance as the motor will tolerate (up to a certain point) just be sure to listen for detonation (pinging), if you hear it, back off in 2 degree increments until it goes away.

Your motor will usually let you know when you've advanced the timing too far, the starter will struggle to turn the engine over, especially when hot, if you reach this point you've gone too far, back off a few degrees.

Just remember, when you add more initial advance on the crank you need to limit the mechanical advance in the distributor an equal amount, otherwise, the motor will start to ping well before the mechanical advance is "all in" around 3,000 rpms.
So MH - it's running great....BUT I took it out yesterday and hit it pretty hard on some straightaways....each time it just conked out...like it was missing...not getting spark. I had to coast it over to the side of the road. But then it started back up immediately. As long as I kept the RPMs low, no issues whatsoever.

Could this be related to the timing??? It feels like what the ignition coil did when it failed, but of course I have a brand new one on there now and it's just fine.

Distributor itself is cheap junk from Autozone.

Flummoxed.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
DougieWebb
Junior User
AND I should add...when I was really stepping on it, it was hauling...no pinging at all. Very strong. But, like I said, then it just started missing real bad and engine died.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:15 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
each time it just conked out...like it was missing...not getting spark. I had to coast it over to the side of the road. But then it started back up immediately. As long as I kept the RPMs low, no issues whatsoever.
It's not timing related, sounds like an electrical issue, could be anything from the ignition switch to the dizzy...

Ignition switch, control module, coil, plug wires, magnetic pick-up, etc.