6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What do you do with your (upgraded) spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you do with your (upgraded) spare tire?

While researching getting my 2011 lifted with new wheels and bigger tires, I was advised that a spare tire similar to the upgraded size will not fit in the normal spare location. I'm thinking there has got to be away around this? If not, for you guys with upgraded wheels and tires, what do you do with your spare?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
I have at 34" spare on mine in the factory location under the bed and it's about as large as I'd care to go with the 5" exhaust. I have a heat shield on the pipe and it's been working so far with no issues. If it's not an emergency and I get a flat, I call for roadside assistance and have it towed. I pay for it with my insurance, I might as well use it. If I get a flat and it's an emergency to get it repaired: If I get a flat on the front, I'd just change the tire, unlock the hubs and drive slow to the nearest tire store in 2wd. If the flat is on the rear, I'd move a front to the rear and put the spare in the front and do the same as previously mentioned. I need my bed so no spare there. A 35" tire won't fit under the bed and I can't put it on the roof and still get in my garage. So this has to work.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
If I have a flat, I too have planned to limit the spare to the front only since in 4x2 it's not the drive axle.

However, the manual doesn't discuss this that I can find.
I try not to do unnecessary extra work on the side of a road where I may be unable to call AAA if it doesn't really matter?
Most of my trees grow in cell phone free zones so I'm on my own.

I have the factory 18 inch wheels but upgraded to the 295/70 tires.
My spare is the OEM 275/65/R18 ContiTrac.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call a flatbed if you get a flat and have it towed home or to a repair shop. I'll pass on changing a tire on the side of the interstate/hwy. Good way to get ran over these days.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:16 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
You guys are thinking way to much into this.

It's a spare..not a replacement. It will fit, use it till you can get to a tire change place.

The original spare is fine.

Am I missing something?

Shane

Old 02-02-2013, 06:00 AM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by srkr

It's a spare..not a replacement. It will fit, use it till you can get to a tire change place.

Am I missing something?

Shane
Interesting! So, Shane, you are saying that it would be ok to run a slightly smaller spare tire on either the front or rear, (similar to running one of those donut spares), with out causing damage to gears, etc.?

I think the stock 20 inch wheel & tire are about 34 inches. My new set up would be with a 35 inch tire, so as long as you don't go too far, I guess you should be ok?

Jim

Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by srkr

Am I missing something?

Shane
Yeah what you are missing on the drive axle is the ratio at which each wheel will turn.

Mighty hard on the differential.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Yeah what you are missing on the drive axle is the ratio at which each wheel will turn.

Mighty hard on the differential.
I just talking about geting to safety to where you can get the tire fixed...NOT a Problem. Now if choose to drive it 100 miles around the city....well...

Shane

Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Kjewer1
Senior User
Different sized tires on the rear in 2wd should only be bad if you have an LSD rear. An open diff won't care, the driveshaft will turn at an average of the two different wheelspeeds. An LSD rear though will drag the clutches/whatever if the speed differential is high enough. This is why most vehicle's manuals recommend keeping the speed low and distance short (less heat/wear). Putting the spare on the front with the hubs unlocked is the safest bet in the case of LSD rears.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Kjewer1
Different sized tires on the rear in 2wd should only be bad if you have an LSD rear. An open diff won't care, the driveshaft will turn at an average of the two different wheelspeeds. An LSD rear though will drag the clutches/whatever if the speed differential is high enough. This is why most vehicle's manuals recommend keeping the speed low and distance short (less heat/wear). Putting the spare on the front with the hubs unlocked is the safest bet in the case of LSD rears.

Newly lifted and first lifted truck here...

I have the 3.31 rear e lock using original spare even though I have 37" tires now on the factory rims... shop said absolutely for me to put one of the fronts on the rear for a rear flat and put original spare on front, then slowly limp to tire store...

I plan on adding a constant duty air system and carry plugs, fix and fill it right there... I bought the tire warranty too so if it wrecks a tire to do nothing and limp to exit and I have more than 1/2 tread left... its already getting replaced.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Truckie256
Newly lifted and first lifted truck here...

I have the 3.31 rear e lock using original spare even though I have 37" tires now on the factory rims... shop said absolutely for me to put one of the fronts on the rear for a rear flat and put original spare on front, then slowly limp to tire store...

I plan on adding a constant duty air system and carry plugs, fix and fill it right there... I bought the tire warranty too so if it wrecks a tire to do nothing and limp to exit and I have more than 1/2 tread left... its already getting replaced.
What about damage to the expensive aluminum rim you are about to substitute as a tire? Will your tire warranty cover that also?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting off the road to change a tire. A friend of mine who owned a towing service was killed just last fall hooking up to a broke down vehicle along side the hiway. The Hiway Patrol was on scene and the tow truck had all the usual lights and flashers. A drunk driver sideswiped the tow truck and wiped out my friend, killing him instantly. Then kept going as if he didn't even know what he did. Probably didn't. Cops chased him down and arrested him at home. It's a crazy world out there. Be careful.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by marchare011
What about damage to the expensive aluminum rim you are about to substitute as a tire? Will your tire warranty cover that also?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting off the road to change a tire. A friend of mine who owned a towing service was killed just last fall hooking up to a broke down vehicle along side the hiway. The Hiway Patrol was on scene and the tow truck had all the usual lights and flashers. A drunk driver sideswiped the tow truck and wiped out my friend, killing him instantly. Then kept going as if he didn't even know what he did. Probably didn't. Cops chased him down and arrested him at home. It's a crazy world out there. Be careful.
As a city firefighter I am well aware of the highway dangers... My engine spent about 3 hrs yestrday morning out on I65 as multiple folks decideed to spin and find the ditch. (we got like a 1/4 inch of snow) folks in the single lane of traffic going slow even lost it and ened up in the ditch. I will usually get to an exit and find a safe place to repair... cheaper than rim or tire or both...

Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Truckie256
As a city firefighter I am well aware of the highway dangers... My engine spent about 3 hrs yestrday morning out on I65 as multiple folks decideed to spin and find the ditch. (we got like a 1/4 inch of snow) folks in the single lane of traffic going slow even lost it and ened up in the ditch. I will usually get to an exit and find a safe place to repair... cheaper than rim or tire or both...
Isn't it crazy how people can't seem to grasp the slick roads concept? I agree on the price of parts versus price of life. I was just curious if the warranty covered the rim as well. Thanks for your service.