Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

85 F250 block heater ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
JimEG
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 F250 block heater ?

I have an 85 F250. I've owned it for 10 years. It had a block heater plug on it when I got it, but it kept tripping the GFCI outlet it was plugged into so I abandoned it years ago.

I am considering rehabbing the block heater, or a new one.

I drive the truck a couple times a month, mostly it just sits. Average morning temps are around 25-35 here in the winter. It starts OK now.

Should I rehab it? Is it good for the engine to stay warmed, since it is doesn't see a lot of use?

Is the stock block heater OK? I've read about blocks cracking from them. Any other options I should consider?

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
depends on what the GFI is rated for, block heaters draw pretty good juice, so there may be nothing wrong with it. Does it pop it as soon as you plug it in, or after a while?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM
JimEG
New User
I'll check it out.

Should I be using the block heater though? The stock one? Or should I use something else? Is it beneficial for the life of the motor - especially since it since most of the time?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Being a 1985, witch was the transition year for the block cracking problem, I wouldn't ever use the block heater on it. Infact, I would cut the cord to it!

Install a circulation pump/heater witch plumbs into the heater lines. That is a much safer way to go on the older blocks.

I've never used the block heater on my '85 E350 van for that reason. The previous owner has ALWAYS used it, and nothing has ever happened, but since I know about the risk of using it, it's not worth it. Besides, it's never had a problem starting cold.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
JimEG
New User
Thanks for the response. Any recommendations for a circ pump heater?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do the math.. it will cost $$$ to leave it pluged in all the time..I only use the heater if she (the wife ) will be useing the rig the next day...her feet get cold, 91 e350 with after market rear heater assembly. if i forget

Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
batchman
Mountain Pass
Similar issue and recent post, so rather than starting another one -

Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
depends on what the GFI is rated for, block heaters draw pretty good juice, so there may be nothing wrong with it. Does it pop it as soon as you plug it in, or after a while?
I'm having a GFI problem with my block heater too, figures it's the coldest day of the year and the first time I've tried it.

On first plug-in the GFI takes about 5 seconds to pop. After that, it pops in 1-2 seconds.

Is it safe to try without the ground? I should add that my case is an 86, should be 6.9 but has been rebuilt and I have not yet figured out if it's still a 6.9.

Thanks,
- Jeff

Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
well jeff, you should start by inspecting the block heater's cord, and patch up any damage it may have.

if there is a problem such as a hot wire grounding to the truck, it is possible to have the whole truck electrically hot when plugged in. that obviously becomes a safety hazard if you touch the truck while its plugged in! and thats the exact kind of stuff the GFCI is designed to protect you from

you can try it without ground, but if you do, you'll want to test to make sure the truck isn't becoming electrically hot. test by setting your voltmeter to AC volts, and compare what you get between a good house ground such as the third prong an an extension cord, against a grounded part of your truck.
trust me, a "hot" truck isn't fun! one day i had a hot truck and got pissed off, so i took my jumper cables from the battery ground straight to the ground rod. got a nice spark and lost the lights in the shop.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM
batchman
Mountain Pass
Thanks Josh, a live truck is something I had not thought of - doesn't sound fun!

I suspect the GFI is the real culprit as I had to change several of them when we bought this house, but hadn't even used this outlet - until now.

FWIW the heater cord appears in good condition, although I've not yet gotten underneath it to see the heater end.

Tonight I'll ohm across the heater, if no shorts I'll try running a line from inside to get past that particular GFI, then see what happens then. I'll also dress the plug some as it appears heavily tarnished and that can't be helping.

Thanks,
- Jeff

Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
when you ohm out the plug there, expect to have continuity between hot and neutral, and between the ground pin and the vehicle ground. anything outside of that would be a problem

Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
I had the GFCI outlet in my garage trip a few times, then one day it up and died. I replaced it, and the new one tripped a couple times too. So I said the hell with it and just plugged it into a regular outlet.

I have it on a timer, so its on for like 2 hours before I leave for work in the mornings. No problem plugging it in at night, as there's no power then. But it does worry me some in the morning, especially if its rainy out.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 AM
batchman
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by tecgod13
So I said the hell with it and just plugged it into a regular outlet.
Found no shorts so I tried a regular outlet, no problems. Of course it was dry and I was mindful not to touch the truck.

I was interested that I could hear it, especially inside the truck - must be boiling the coolant? That can't be good. Or is it circulating it too?

Cheers,
- Jeff

Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine does'nt circulate,,91E350,,factory heater,,temp 45* pluged in over nite fires with out waiting for glows...funny i can 't hear mine ??