Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99' 7.3 Many ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Bronkitis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' 7.3 Many ?'s

Hello all! New to forum, but looking forward to all of your knowledge!

I bought this early 99' F-250 two years ago. I had to hunt for her. 7.3/6spd/4x4 ext cab. They were pretty rare in my area! Anyways, the one I found, I fell in love with but she has her issues which is why I got her 6K less than the original asking price.

My main concern is I just had to take her through Wa state emissions and she failed. She's got an AFE cold air kit, and I THINK she has a chip? No programmer, no exhaust mods, but she MOVES MUCH quicker than same model work truck I've got. That and she rolls a lot of coal for a near stock truck. Something is off- When you do a nuetral "Snap" of the throttle, as she comes back down to idle, it is not smooth. Actually, as I am typing this I really am not sure how to convey exactly what I'm talking about via words... It's like a miss.... A big, heavy miss. She shakes, and sounds like it's got a giant cam in it for about 8-10 seconds before returning to a smooth idle. It's done it since day one and has never thrown a check engine light or anything.

How do I tell if she has a chip? What if the factory chip was re-flashed? I'd like to purchase a programmer but the though of something not being factory scares me as I've read that a lot of the programmers will not work without first starting off with a factory setting? Also, I've noticed seemingly long crank times for starting... Not terrible, but about 5-8 seconds. Any help is appreciated!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to hook up with Tugly, he's in Washington and might be close by. He has rapidly gained quite a bit of knowledge on the 7.3 and might be of great benefit to you. Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
My truck does the same "miss" sometimes. I had never really thought anything bad about it. I don't think mine is as bad as yours but I would classify mine as "normal". I think you want a chip over a programmer. They can burn a chip to your exact truck not a one size fits all with the programmer. I don't have to mess with emissions but I am guessing the intake, and the blank smoke is failing ya. With a chip you could take it off or return to stock for the test. Being a early 99 make sure your cat is intact also. The early trucks do come with a converter. More will chime in soon.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:36 AM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post up where you are located in WA. What city? There are a few people in WA the have Auto Enginuity that could help you. How many miles are on the truck?
When you log on and go to the forum.....look above the post and just above the Red search button at the blue banner with several tabs. Click the User CP in that banner.
Click on edit your details and put your City and State in there.
Now click on the "edit signature" button and put 7.3L, 6 speed, 4x4, ext cab, NUMBER OF MILES on odometer and save the info. Now you don't have to type your location and miles when you post up something new and we don't have to ask you for the info.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Bronkitis
New User
Fixit- I seriously cannot find where to edit my signature! Filled out all fields I possibly could in my profile and not one said anything about a signature. I am in Spanaway, Wa, near both Puyallup and Tacoma. There is about 175K on Petunia.

Cat seems to be intact, don't see or hear any signs of exhaust leaks. I'd really like to manage power on the fly via a pot switch or something like that. Is this possible with a DP?

00Dave- Where can I find this "Tugly"?

Thanks for the quick responces all!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Bronkitis
New User
Oh, and thanks for the friendly welcome!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkitis
Fixit- I seriously cannot find where to edit my signature! Filled out all fields I possibly could in my profile and not one said anything about a signature. I am in Spanaway, Wa, near both Puyallup and Tacoma. There is about 175K on Petunia.
1) Click on User CP
2) Under the Settings & Options section, the third option is Edit Signature

Cat seems to be intact, don't see or hear any signs of exhaust leaks. I'd really like to manage power on the fly via a pot switch or something like that. Is this possible with a DP?
Yes it is...

00Dave- Where can I find this "Tugly"?
Click on Search, then click on Advanced Search, then enter "Tugly" under Search by User Name (switch option to Find Threads Started by User)...presto, you'll find Tugly

OR

just click here and it will take you to his Profile page

Thanks for the quick responces all!
We aims to please!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Bronkitis
New User
Neil- The one-man band! Thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Bronkitis
New User
Still no luck on editing my signature. I'm not sure if I drank stupid juice this morning or what! 3rd selection down from settings and options is to edit my email/password. From there, I see where I can edit my vehicle info, my messages, etc but nothing about a signature... I'm stumped.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
seems like you had to have a certain number of posts before it unlocks the signature thing. I remember having issues with it when i signed up. maybe it just took me a while to figure it out.

start with one short line maybe and then build it up how you want it when you get it working. there is actually a testing thread on the main forum page. its all the way at the bottom under all the chapter stuff.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need 25 posts to get full use of everything.. Post ***** away..