1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New problems related to the GEM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New problems related to the GEM?

2000 F350 PSD 6 speed 2wd

OK, I have had a recurring issue with water getting into the GEM under the dash (which is a whole other issue). Previously, I could let it dry out and all would be good. This last time, I took out the GEM (big pain in the butt) and all looked and worked fine when it all dried out.

However, this time, literally overnight, the speedo stopped working, the air bag light stays on and the blower motor doesn't work. I read another post on the FTE that said the speedo is not related to the GEM. I changed out the VSS and the speedo still does not work. All of the other gauges and electricals work fine.

Does anyone have an idea as to what is going on? I'd rather not have to shell out the $$ by taking in to the dealer if I don't have to.

Thanks!!

Mike

Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
On mine, the GEM fair alright with the water, but the fuse block was another story. And the fuse block is not something you can take apart. Mine was corroded green.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Air bag, or ABS light? If the speedo stops working, the ABS will complain, not the Air-bag.

As for the blower motor, that's strange, do you have climate control, or basic heater/AC controls?

I'd start checking grounds, the blower and the speedo/ABS aren't related to the GEM in anyway, I don't think.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
BTT...anyone have any ideas?

Air bag...and the cruise still works. It is the basic HVAC.

Mike

Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Air bag, or ABS light? If the speedo stops working, the ABS will complain, not the Air-bag.

As for the blower motor, that's strange, do you have climate control, or basic heater/AC controls?

I'd start checking grounds, the blower and the speedo/ABS aren't related to the GEM in anyway, I don't think.
Its weird in that I haven't done anything but change batteries and R&Re-install the GEM. All connections are tight. The only other thing that I did was put in a supplemental ground for my brake controller by tapping into the ground wire and grounded it to the dash frame. When the 3 things started, I unhooked it, but nothing changed.

Mike

Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User

I see the 2 grounds that are next to the hole where the brake controller harness passes through. Both of them are still solid. What other grounds should I look for?

Mike

Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Do you have the key-switch in the dash to turn off the passenger-side airbag? If so, does the light come on in the switch when you turn the key to ON?

I'll try to remember to take a look in my service manual's EVTM when I get home tonight and see if there is anything in these systems that's related.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
Do you have the key-switch in the dash to turn off the passenger-side airbag? If so, does the light come on in the switch when you turn the key to ON?

I'll try to remember to take a look in my service manual's EVTM when I get home tonight and see if there is anything in these systems that's related.
No, mine is a crew cab, so it doesn't have the switch.

Thanks. I'm almost thinking that the fuse block might have issues after this last bath it took. The symptoms were different than before and two of the 3 issues share a common fuse in the block. Let me know if you might htink it is something different.

Mike

Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User

Were you ever able to check this out? I'd also like to know the wiring diagram for the speedo. I got a Haynes, but the diagrams in it are somewhat lacking.

Thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Texas H.M.
Freshman User
Just an update: I ended up taking it in to the dealer to get it figured out. As it turns out, all 3 issues were due to the fuse block AND GEM module problems. They replaced both and all is good now.

By the way, they found out that the particular GEM is on NATIONWIDE backorder until November. We replaced mine with a salvaged one.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Thanks for reporting back! rep points sent.