Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spray On/ Roll On Bedliners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:13 PM
ErinsFord
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray On/ Roll On Bedliners?

We've got an incredible bedliner in our 06 Toyota Tundra. It looks great (but is under a top) and it's not super rough but things just don't slide around. Also doesn't feel tacky. It's just the stock liner so not too sure what brand it is. If you do, speak up. I'd love to use that stuff in my Ford.

My Ford is well... sixteen years old. There's a big dent in one wheel well, it's been there forever and a day. As far as I'm aware it's been there since it was purchased. At some point the bed rusted in one spot about the size of a half-dollar that's just a hole. Now, I'm looking to weld a bit of sheet metal from the underside, slap in and sand some bondo from the top to take care of the hole, take a hammer and bang out the dent above the wheel, slap in bondo, sand it into shape and call it good and roll in a bedliner.

Million dollar question, can it be done and not fade out in six months? Does it look terrible? Does it crack up and look horrible? Are there any good home done roll on or should I go for a spray-on? Drop ins have a tendency to entirely rust out a bed. Not interested in rusting everything.

I don't haul gravel or anything, just normal wear and tear. Occasionally move a couch, move a family member/friend. Few tools in the back, maybe wood to patch a hole in a fence. Once it hauled sod.

Mostly, I'm looking to stop anymore half-dollar sized holes and find one that will look good. Problem is I can't bust the bank, either. It's the long bed. It's just big. I'm pretty sure I can't get it done at a shop for under a few hundred and I was hoping to do this for closer to a hundred. Can it be done? Any horror stories from using like a Duplicolor one? I've got the tools to do all the patchwork decently and I'm not worried about using too thick of Bondo as it'll have bedliner over top of it.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:56 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
I have used the roll on herculiner on a truck, a farm truck, and it was really really tough. Not indestructible, but I hauled a fuel tank, disc blades, tools, wood, wire, hay, pipe, deer, elk, saws, chains, tires, wheels, auger flightings, combine sieves and rasp bars, and I was very impressed with the $70 can of herculiner. You want to fix the rust beforehand, and sand the bed, lightly, make sure it is really clean, and roll it on. I would recommend using a little more than the can, as it turns out a little thin in places and you could buy like a gallon and a quart and it should be pretty good. Mine went on with a roller and that was it.

As far as the fading mine didn't fade too bad, but it was noticeable. Now, I had a bumper sprayed with liner and you can peel it off in a sheet, it was worthless, the high build etch primer is adhering well but the bed liner sucks. A waste of time and money to me, But my truck now has a spray in liner init that was there when ibought it and it is fine but faded.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
I have use Herculiner and Duplicolor in 2 trucks. Both with **** poor results. Both had the correct prep done and both pealed, lifted and just scraped right off.

I went and tried ALs DIY liner and it is just like the stuff you would get from taking it to a dealer to get it professionally done.

Here, have a read
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...iner-done.html

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Nick_lebbad
Senior User
i am planning on doing a paint job with spray on truck bed liner.. hope it works better then these guys are saying..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 AM
ErinsFord
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I have use Herculiner and Duplicolor in 2 trucks. Both with **** poor results. Both had the correct prep done and both pealed, lifted and just scraped right off.

I went and tried ALs DIY liner and it is just like the stuff you would get from taking it to a dealer to get it professionally done.

Here, have a read
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...iner-done.html
I looked up their kit. Did you use the ALs spray gun as well? And do you think one kit would do two or so coats on a long bed or would I have to pick up an extra quart?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:05 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 207 Likes on 167 Posts
I'm interested in the Al's Liner. Does anyone have any comments about how it holds up to fading?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 207 Likes on 167 Posts
Do you have any tips for applying it? Did you use their sprayer? I was thinking of having my buddy sand blast the bed instead of sanding it. Would that be a good idea?

I'd also like to know how far the kit will go. I'll be doing over the rail on my long bed and a chest style toolbox.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
I have always used Rhino spray on liners and never done one myself but love the two trucks I have with it. They also sell a conditioner for it every couple of years you brush this stuff on and the liner stays brand new looking instead of that weathered look.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 PM
icntdrv
Freshman User
A lot of the local Jeep guys are buying the Raptor liner kits off of eBay and Amazon. It seems to work well, and you can adjust how hard/soft it is by increasing or decreasing the amount of hardener you mix in. It isn't as thick as my dad's Line-X job, but very good for DIY. Masking off and covering up everything is very important because it oversprays pretty bad. They claim theres no need to sand or strip, but we've had good results by prepping with a wire brush on a grinder.

Only one guy has had a problem with the tintable version, but we all told him that white bedliner was a bad idea - it turned yellow.

If you go the professional route, my Dad's Line-X job lasted 14 years without peeling, bubbling, or fading significantly. It worked out so well he had it sprayed into the bed of the 03 truck he recently bought and it significantly improved the appearance of the truck (Nice truck w/ scratched up bed -> just a nice truck)