1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

How Much Power Steering Fluid Do I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 AM
brc777
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How Much Power Steering Fluid Do I Need?

Today I will be flushing the power steering system on my 2001 Mazda B3000 (Ford Ranger) 3.0L. I have read where you can use two methods to flush the system. One by disconecting the power steering hoses and having someone turn the wheels back and forth while the truck is running while adding new fluid to flush the old out. The second is using a siphoning hose to suck the fluid out of the power steering reservoir. Then jack the front of the truck up and have someone move turn the wheels side to side while the truck is running causing the fluid to fill back into the reservoir and pump it out.

I will be attempting to use a siphoning pump method. I bought some Lucas oil power steering oil to help condition the system as well as three quarts of mercon 3 atf fluid to do the job. But I cannot find anywhere that says how much fluid the power steering holds. Does anyone know? I checked the owener's manual and online and it just tells what type of fluid. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

brc

Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brc777
Today I will be flushing the power steering system on my 2001 Mazda B3000 (Ford Ranger) 3.0L. I have read where you can use two methods to flush the system. One by disconecting the power steering hoses and having someone turn the wheels back and forth while the truck is running while adding new fluid to flush the old out. The second is using a siphoning hose to suck the fluid out of the power steering reservoir. Then jack the front of the truck up and have someone move turn the wheels side to side while the truck is running causing the fluid to fill back into the reservoir and pump it out.

I will be attempting to use a siphoning pump method. I bought some Lucas oil power steering oil to help condition the system as well as three quarts of mercon 3 atf fluid to do the job. But I cannot find anywhere that says how much fluid the power steering holds. Does anyone know? I checked the owener's manual and online and it just tells what type of fluid. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

brc
I would do the pump out method. 3 quarts sound like enough but maybe you should just get the gallon jug...it's almost the same price. The siphon method will never get all the old stuff out.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks,

brc
Your owners manual will list the P/S capacity & the specified fluid, but two qts will be all you'd likely need if you do the pumpout proceedure, which as has been said will remove all of the old fluid & contaminates, which is the idea of doing a fluid change.
Here is a link to the proceedure I use to pump out my fluid. Disable the fuel pump as suggested so the engine won't run, because you won't be able to pour fluid in fast enough to keep up, so you'll mix in lots of air into the fluid & its a pia to work out. Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Power Steering Filter

Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
At work we have 2 machines for P/S flushes. They work by engine running and sucking out fluid, followed by filling with clean fluid, suck out, fill, suck out, fill. It is a 2qt service and usually after 1qt it's lookin clean. It works good, your just trying to get the old out and new in. If your so worried about any crud I would install a filter.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks,

brc
as a side note.i would like to applaud you for do a PS flush. INHO it is the most neglected maintenance item....

Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
PS and auto transmissions are both neglected on most vehicles.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powersmoked
as a side note.i would like to applaud you for do a PS flush. INHO it is the most neglected maintenance item....
Brake fluid is another. I think Trans is as well, my Plymouth has 213k and is still shifing as good as new. I just flush it about every 50k. I got synthetic fluid in now before I did it about every 30k.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 PM
brc777
Mountain Pass
Thanks to everyone for the replies, the links, and advice. I will be doing it shortly. So, if I run into any problems I will let you know.

It is a manual tranny and I have already changed the fluid in it twice. It has close to 150,000 miles on it. My next project will be to service the rear end. I see where it is starting to leak. But one thing at a time.

And as always thanks again for the input.

brc

Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I support those who recommend the addition of a filter. I put one on my 2008 Ranger as a precaution. I had to replace the pump on my '91 at 65 K miles because of the squeel it was making.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:57 PM
brc777
Mountain Pass
Well I knew something would go wrong?

Just got finished doing the p.s. flush. The fluid sure was nasty. Everything was going smoothly. I fooled with the siphonin pump I had bought for a while, but I found something I already had in my shop that worked ten times faster and better. But as most of the old fluid had been sucked out and I as I continued the pouring the new fluid in (and sucking it out). I had the front end jacked up and my Dad was in the truck working the wheels side to side. When you turn it hard to the right it started a jerking sensation. With the wheels of the ground I could see the rack and pinion and passenger's side wheel jerking. We finished filling it up with new p.s. fluid. Worked the wheels back and forth for a while. Still had the jerking motion (not to awful bad), but it was still there. We took it for a test drive and it did fine.

My guess is that I got air in the system. But I am no mechanic by any means. What do you think the jerking motion could be? It is really not noticable unless you are setting still and turn the wheel all the way to the right.

I hope it will work it self out. But I am usually not that lucky.

Hope to here your replies.

brc