1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi-Lift Jack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:15 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi-Lift Jack?

I am trying to come up with a way of easily lifting the truck for maintenance reasons, mainly tire rotations, I am planning ahead for my 6" lift as well, so I regular old jack will not work very well.

I was thinking I could use a Hi-Lift jack on the front tow hooks to lift the front and the set it on a jack stand.. And to lift the rear I could use a d-ring shackle in the reciever hitch..

I have never used a Hi-Lift before and it seems like there are alot of mixed reviews.. But its just an idea, anything else come to mind??

Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Parts Jimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by cbzdel
I am trying to come up with a way of easily lifting the truck for maintenance reasons, mainly tire rotations, I am planning ahead for my 6" lift as well, so I regular old jack will not work very well.

I was thinking I could use a Hi-Lift jack on the front tow hooks to lift the front and the set it on a jack stand.. And to lift the rear I could use a d-ring shackle in the reciever hitch..

I have never used a Hi-Lift before and it seems like there are alot of mixed reviews.. But its just an idea, anything else come to mind??
It is not safe to get under a truck using those hi-lift jacks. I would suggest a large floor jack with jack stands. Place the floor jack under the axles. A high-lift will allow the axles to drop making you have to jack up the truck awfully high also.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

I've used them for years & they have there place - but they tend to get off center easily & slip... especially the idea on the receiver - that won't work - 1 you are picking up the entire back end - besides the weight the truck would "lean" one direction or the other & jack would fly out of there - could be a major problem...

Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
I would never get under a rig without jackstands that just plain stupid!

My problem with a floor jack is I dont have a concrete area, I am stuck in the dirt and gravel.. And bottle jacks just seem so small, I know they would work, but I have a fear of bottle jacks, had one explode on me one time.. I had all the wheels off my jeep and up on 4 jackstands (that were on the frame, because I was messing with the suspension). I needed to lift the front end a few inches higher so I so I started to jack it up, the front was maybe 3"-4" above the jackstands and I just backed up away from the jack and was about to adjust the jackstands and all of a sudden it exploded, and the jeep fell and bounced off the jackstands.. LUCKLY I was not hurt!!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Parts Jimmy
Senior User
A bottle jack is safer than a farm jack aka hi-lift. Hi-lifts are good for recovery and changing a flat tire and that is about it. I used one for years when I was in to the offroad truck hobby. Buy a high quality bottle jack that is overkill in capacity. I carry a 10 ton bottle jack in my truck since the stock jack will not pick up my truck with the camper loaded in the bed.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:19 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I have use a pair of the 20 ton bottle jacks from Wal-Mart. Put a couple of 2x6s or 2x8s under them and they'll lift the truck a-ok, mine have worked for several years now without any problems.

Or you could just put a sheet of plywood down, a floor jack will roll fine on it.