Sponsored by:

Jack questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:02 AM
mark996
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack questions...

I searched a while and came up with nothing. I've also searched on here, read about this and that, but I wanted to post the question here regarding jacks and the Ex. I have a small floor jack, I think it's a 2 ton jack that I used to lift the truck up earlier and put the spare tire on, got a nail in regularly used tire, slow leak and don't want to take the chance of ruining the tire until I get it fixed Monday. To use my current floor jack, I have to use blocks under it, and yes, trust me I realize how UN SAFE this is to do...which is why I'm posting now. I could have used the pumpkin in the back, but with a 2 ton jack, I'd likely be stretching it's listed load limit, which probably isn't any where close to 2 ton capacity in reality. I plan on getting a large jack this week, just because I'm tired of fulling with the little POS's I have in the garage already, and need something reliable for changing tires if needed, and I definitely don't want to be on the side of a highway with blocks under a small jack trying to change a tire, 18 wheeler flies by...got a bad feeling about that one. So, in ya'lls wide array of experience and knowledge, best jacking points for changing a tire? Are they the printed locations in the manual? Just to the side of the rotor on the axle? Or say the hell with it and jack at the pumpkin even though you need access to one side for the tire change. Also, what about a jack? I'm looking at some 3 ton low profile floor jacks that have a 21 inch lift, will that do? Also, bottle jacks...I've seen yays and nays for them, opinion?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 AM
broncorif
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I carry a 12 ton bottle jack from Craftsman. I don't remember how high it goes, but it definitely gets my 35" tires off the ground. I don't typically use this jack because I use a 3 ton floor jack when I do any wheel maintenance at home.

I also carry the Hi Lift jack plate. I'm not sure what it's actually called, but its orange and used to set a Hi Lift jack on if you are on soft ground. I figure I could put the bottle jack on it if I end up on the grass on the side of the road with a flat tire.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Mark,

Be sure you also use Jack Stands when using the floor jack!
The weight should rest on the jacks stands NOT the floor jack.

I have a 12k lb gvw set of ramps ($53 @ autozone last month on sale)
I use them to get under the Ex when I need more room
(ie: hellwig & shocks 2 weeks ago)

I have a 3 ton floor jack and jack stands
(haven't used them on the Ex - yet!)

On other vehicles, I usually place the floor jack under the lower
shock mount it fits into the "cup" on the floor jack and keeps
things from slipping. I'll be rotating my tires soon, so I'll find out
how well the floor jack works then.
I typically put 1 jack stand under the front & rear shocks, then
it's easy to swap the tires with the vehicle in the air.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Eric H
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I carry the jack in this set with me at all times:
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

It'll lift the truck or trailer in an emergency.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
I guess Bronco owners think alike. I prefer and carry a bottle jack with me in every vehicle except the thunderbird. It sets so low I have to use the little scissor jack then get another jack under it.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I use a 6 ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight. It gets the stock size tires off fine. I jack at the tire I am removing or place one side on a jackstand and then jack the other side and add the other jackstand. I have heard it is not a good idea to jack on the pumpkin directly...dunno

Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 AM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
If you do jack the pumpkin, make sure you block the front wheels. (not meaning to insult anyones intelligence but in an emergency situation little things can be forgotten)

I usually jack under the u-bolt plate. The shock mount on the axle would work, just be aware that they are not welded to the axles like alot of trucks, they can rotate if the bolts are not securely torqued.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
On other vehicles, I usually place the floor jack under the lower
shock mount it fits into the "cup" on the floor jack and keeps
things from slipping.
Don't do that on the Excursion!! The shock mounts are clamped to the axle and will rotate if ya try to jack them...

I use a floor jack (and jack stands and wheel chocks) at home and carry a bottle jack on the road. I typically jack under the rear diff to lift both tires or under spring perches to lift just one. Up front its under the perches.