1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New vehicle monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Tonyplane
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New vehicle monitoring

Do new vehicles have a system that enables the government to secretly monitor a vehicle by VIN?

I have had a 2012 F250 Lariat on order and expect delivery in a few weeks. My wife asked me if new vehicles had a government required system that permits the government to monitor the vehicles movements as she recalls reading something about a year ago that Great Leader or Big Momma (great leader's head of the growing civilian federal police force) had talked about a system such as that. *I told her a recent supreme court ruling prohibited the government from doing monitoring without a court order. *She reminded me that great leader had recently stated that the Constitution was an impediment that he would work around, and that his recent actions indicate his contempt for the Constitution. Also a member of the SCOTUS recently indicated to Egyptians that she considered our Constitution an obsolete piece of paper.
I know of the data in the onboard computer which can be accessed on-site.
Is there any electronics/avionics types on the list that know if there is any other "black box" on new vehicles that can be remotely controlled to transmit data without the owner's knowledge or permission?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about monitoring our movements, but beside having governors in our cars, I can't drive vehicles I might want.
There are dozens cars that make over 60 mpg and cost less than $12,000. None of them can be bought in USA.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:29 AM
PITS
Elder User
On Star (GM) has been able to do it for a long time. Toyota started a similar program. Fords with SYNC my ride/Travel Link sort of do it and can tattle on you if you go too long after warnings like change your oil etc. go un-reset. It can also tell the dealers some info but I am not sure what else...

As to big brother...get used to it. 1984 was here a long time ago.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Not yet, but there has been talk about it down the road.

Closest thing is the SYNC system, but it only sends information when you tell it too. For instance, a CEL pops up and you schedule a dealer visit, it will send all necessary information to the dealer a head of time.

But there's no tattle system in place.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,419 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Not yet unless sign up for it to get a discount my insurance costs...and I would strongly NOT do that.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Thar reminds me not that new story about rental companies putting monitors on their cars.
It is common in CA that someone rents a car for a weekend for "local" use and make Las Vegas run in it.
So the contract says "unlimited miles in California" and than small print adds cost of mileage when the rules are broken and also very small print notify the user that the car in GPS equipped.
The outcome? Guys rent the car for a weekend for $60, take it to Nevada putting like 1200 miles and on the return are slapped with $700 mileage charge.
MAKE SURE YOU READ THE SMALL PRINT

Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of trucks/cars come equipped these days w/ an "event detector" analogous to an airplane's flight recorder. It records about 20-30min of vehicle speed, throttle pos, braking, steering, inputs, etc. So, the law can tell what the vehicle was doing from airbag deployment backwards in an accident investigation. Ins co's & the law have been known to use this info in fatal wrecks and fatality dui wrecks. Don't know for sure the newer SD's have them but I do know several GM models have them - like the Corvette & the Caddy CTS. Seems like I remember reading that Ford had put them on the M-tangs & Lincoln MKz's as well.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyplane
Do new vehicles have a system that enables the government to secretly monitor a vehicle by VIN?

I have had a 2012 F250 Lariat on order and expect delivery in a few weeks. My wife asked me if new vehicles had a government required system that permits the government to monitor the vehicles movements as she recalls reading something about a year ago that Great Leader or Big Momma (great leader's head of the growing civilian federal police force) had talked about a system such as that. *I told her a recent supreme court ruling prohibited the government from doing monitoring without a court order. *She reminded me that great leader had recently stated that the Constitution was an impediment that he would work around, and that his recent actions indicate his contempt for the Constitution. Also a member of the SCOTUS recently indicated to Egyptians that she considered our Constitution an obsolete piece of paper.
I know of the data in the onboard computer which can be accessed on-site.
Is there any electronics/avionics types on the list that know if there is any other "black box" on new vehicles that can be remotely controlled to transmit data without the owner's knowledge or permission?

You are speaking a system that utilises GPS signals, as well as cell phone tower data telephony equipment.

All the systems I know of that currently exist use GPS to track and log their position, time, and speed. They also have the option to wirelessly connect over wireless data towers, to track live in real time. For this to work, it needs a cellular internet dongle, and a wireless plan, so there is a monthly bill.

Onstar also receives GPS satellite data, but relies on cellular data services for voice and data communications.