Computer Chips & Tuners  

Used DP F6 Tuner - Cost to Reburn Tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 PM
rwdfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used DP F6 Tuner - Cost to Reburn Tunes?

Ok, so I'm buying a used F6. The guy I'm buying it from has single shot injectors and of course a different ECU. He has 5 tunes on it, I tried reading the website, but I'm not sure I'm understanding it properly. No one at DP-Tuner is answering their phones either. This is cop-pasted from their website "Chips purchased used that are sent in for reprogramming to a new PCM code its a flat fee of $50 to reburn the chip plus return shipping. For different modifications its $25 per each performance tune plus return shipping." Does this mean on top of paying 50$ to reburn the chip to my ECU, that I have to pay 25$ to reprogram each tune since he has single shots? If any of you have bought or sold a DP-Tuner and know if this is true, let me know. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:37 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,172 Posts
email DP. they will get back to you as soon as they can

DP-Tuner

Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The F6 has a USB port. If the cable is missing, they are cheap to acquire. The prices listed are for sending in the chip and getting it shipped back, but your F6 does not need to be sent in - everything you need can be downloaded from the web or emailed to you.

You will need the software to interface with your chip, this might involve making a login at dp-tuner.com. There are instructions on configuring the software and your netbook/laptop (if you have one) in the knowledge base. I believe you can interface with the chip before it is installed, it would use the power from the USB port on your home PC. I have a netbook with DP-Tuner software and tunes, my owner's manuals, wiring diagrams, upgrade photos, stereo manual, GPS, and everything else truck-related. This allows me to do download tunes into the truck without removing the chip.

If you have a portable computer, you might be able to install the chip and run it in stock mode until you get the tunes squared away - but hold off until you talk to/email somebody at DP-Tuner because thaey will likely want some information before they know what your capabilities are now.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:40 PM
rwdfan
Senior User
For some reason I thought it still had to be burned to a different PCM... well even if I dont have to pay to ship it there, that only saves me like 15$ which for that I might as well buy a new chip. And the chip doesn't have a stock mode on it yet.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:21 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
if i am not mistaken, all DP chips come with stock tune on them. he probably just did not list it.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rwdfan
For some reason I thought it still had to be burned to a different PCM... well even if I dont have to pay to ship it there, that only saves me like 15$ which for that I might as well buy a new chip. And the chip doesn't have a stock mode on it yet.
A new F6 chip with stock tune and no-start tune costs $400, and the LED controller with mount runs another $50 or so. If you don't have a laptop or netbook to interface with it while it's installed, the F6 then loses much of it's magical qualities. I don't know what kind of deal he's offereing - or what Jody will do about re-burning all the custom mods out of the existing programs. Basically, the tunes are good for the truck they came out of, but it's just a used $450 hardware package to anybody else. Does that help?

Old 01-15-2012, 12:26 AM
rwdfan
Senior User
I do have a laptop... And if the tunes arent transferable/reburnable, I'll pass on it. I'm not paying that kinda dough when a new ones the same amount of money.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rwdfan
Ok, so I'm buying a used F6. The guy I'm buying it from has single shot injectors and of course a different ECU. He has 5 tunes on it, I tried reading the website, but I'm not sure I'm understanding it properly. No one at DP-Tuner is answering their phones either. This is cop-pasted from their website "Chips purchased used that are sent in for reprogramming to a new PCM code its a flat fee of $50 to reburn the chip plus return shipping. For different modifications its $25 per each performance tune plus return shipping." Does this mean on top of paying 50$ to reburn the chip to my ECU, that I have to pay 25$ to reprogram each tune since he has single shots? If any of you have bought or sold a DP-Tuner and know if this is true, let me know. Thanks.

You called on a Friday? We are closed on Friday's here in GA. That said, we are implementing a new phone system to accommodate our new staff. If you didn't get to leave a message we have email and facebook as a great way to get a hold of us. I'm on Facebook frequently during the day. More often than the forums.

Each F6 chip is licensed to the truck is was formatted for. To have this reformatted to your truck it is a flat Fee of $50. If you keep all previous tunes the same, but have it reburned for you truck code and mods its a flat $50.

$50 for re-licensing
$50 for new code reburn

To add new tunes its an additional cost.

There's no shipping involved. Jody will email the new tunes to you.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
thanks for responding Diane. i forgot you are closed on fridays.

and i never thought to let you know about this thread on facebook.