1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

65 F100 Interior Suggestions - Pics included

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 10:48 PM
1965_Ford
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
65 F100 Interior Suggestions - Pics included

I had to take some down time off this 65 project due to work. I got this truck off a dude and its mixed matched with all different parts. I call it Frankenstein because its chopped, different front end, shortened back end etc. It makes it a challenge.

I rebuilt the engine. Now I want to work on the interior to at least make it look good. Not trying to do anything expensive. This is going to be a weekend cruiser/local car meet up etc.

Now for the pics. Don't laugh, we all start somewhere. This is how I got it. Oh and in case you are wondering those are plexiglass windows that need to go but since the top is chopped that's a custom job I need to figure out. I need someone near Los Angeles.

The main thing I don't know what to do with is that radio hole or what I want to do with the gauge cluster. I didn't really plan to do a full radio install with the kick panels and all that. Just use a blue tooth Marshall speaker or something sitting in the middle because its loud due to the mufflers. And whats up with this mirror?

Radio cutout

Driver door

Speedometer

Seats & Seat belts

New Mahogany Wheel

New 65 billet adapter from Forever Sharp Co.

The only thing I have done inside as you can see is the steering wheel.

I also bought some door panels from https://www.a2metalfab.com/collectio...ks/door-panels

Suggestions or links would be great. Thanks in advance

Old 05-04-2024, 11:29 PM
FarmMotorSports
Mountain Pass
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The rear view mirror is something the PO rigged up, not original to any 61-66.

As for the radio hole, many here have filled the damage with metal. An extra glove box lid makes an excellent patch panel.

You may be able to lessen the gap between your steering wheel and the column, by loosening the bolts that hold the column and sliding toward the wheel before tightening. And don't forget the column clamp on the outside of the firewall.

As for your instrument cluster, it's the stock sweep cluster for these trucks. Hopefully it is original to your cab, there are a couple different connections between it and a normal round speedo cluster... The are digital dashes made for 61-66 trucks by Dakota digital and others, if you have that desire.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:55 AM
benbuilder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a few glove boxes that could be used to fill that hole. I also have the correct mirror if you think it will work in the chop. what is wrong with your gauge cluster set up?

Old 05-05-2024, 09:17 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I know you said you’re “not trying to do anything expensive”.

However, you had the engine rebuilt, that was expensive. You spent at least 300.00 on door panels. Stock ones could have been bought for a song, and either rattle-canned or covered in fabric. You’ll pay dearly to have glass made/installed. You might just put in a repopped gauge bezel to dress things up a bit, about 200 bucks, or simply remove and repaint yours if in decent enough shape. Many have done that on the cheap.Start installing actual aftermarket digital gauges , though, and you’ll find out what expensive really is. You’ll not get the seat in your photo redone cheaply. If you don’t have the skill set, like me, it will not be too cheap to have the radio hole patched/painted.

You’ve only just begun, fellow. There’s an admission price that must be paid in the Old Car/Truck Hobby. I wish you luck, but if you want something worth keeping that looks nice and is a functioning tool, you’ll pay the admission.

Many of us drive, use, and enjoy them while making incremental improvements as the money comes available. I have plenty of money spent on my truck, but never much at one time, and it was never out of service for long. That’s a good path to follow if you’ve not deep pockets.

Old 05-05-2024, 02:45 PM
1965_Ford
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
I know you said you’re “not trying to do anything expensive”.

However, you had the engine rebuilt, that was expensive. You spent at least 300.00 on door panels. Stock ones could have been bought for a song, and either rattle-canned or covered in fabric. You’ll pay dearly to have glass made/installed. You might just put in a repopped gauge bezel to dress things up a bit, about 200 bucks, or simply remove and repaint yours if in decent enough shape. Many have done that on the cheap.Start installing actual aftermarket digital gauges , though, and you’ll find out what expensive really is. You’ll not get the seat in your photo redone cheaply. If you don’t have the skill set, like me, it will not be too cheap to have the radio hole patched/painted.

You’ve only just begun, fellow. There’s an admission price that must be paid in the Old Car/Truck Hobby. I wish you luck, but if you want something worth keeping that looks nice and is a functioning tool, you’ll pay the admission.

Many of us drive, use, and enjoy them while making incremental improvements as the money comes available. I have plenty of money spent on my truck, but never much at one time, and it was never out of service for long. That’s a good path to follow if you’ve not deep pockets.
Nothing is wrong with my gauge cluster. The fuel gauge doesn't work so I just ordered the sender. I was looking for a gauge bezel from Dennis Carpenter after seeing a restore done on Motor Trend. Its out of stock so I got on the list. Its basically the new bezel and plexiglass. However, I guess I should have been more clear. If I can make it look better on a budget that's ideal. I don't plan to go Dakota at this time. Its too ugly for that right now.

As for the door panels, It never had door panels. What you see is how I got it. I bought the aftermarket ones because everything at one point seemed out of stock or I couldn't find jack used. Obviously my intention is to not go OEM. The front end of this thing is something odd. It has disc brakes which is good. The steering wheel that was on it looked like the bat mobile. Basically the guy took the stock wheel and cut it up and inverted it and welded it back together.

The radio hole problem just got solved. I got my hands on this and took some chrome polish to it. I think I can get more of the oxidation out. No radio its just a face.

Radio Bezel - No Radio

If anyone else is looking for a radio fix I also found this guy on eBay. I was searching "Radio Delete F100" and found this guy username : "chairman43truck"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29629064902...Bk9SR8yJqKPpYw

Old 05-05-2024, 04:40 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-template.html

Pay attention to post #6 and post #9 in the above thread to see the cut-out for the stock radio.
That one in your dash is way too big, for an aftermarket radio I’m sure.

Also, if looking for used parts Brian at Slick Truck Parts can often help, as well as benbuilder above.

https://slicktruckparts.com

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-05-2024, 07:49 PM
drm4633
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Retrosounds has a dual coil speaker that'll fit your factory location above the radio. You can also cut that 2hole radio part out and fit a single din radio in there and at least get fm / hd radio / Bluetooth.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-05-2024, 10:20 PM
Christmas
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 267 Posts
I wasn't a picture taker when I started getting my 66 f250 back on the road after 20 years. Most of it was there but in bad shape. Spent about 1k, most of that was the tach, vacuum gauge, radio and speaker, heater rebuild, seat belts, fire extinguishers, couple gauges and some paint.