7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

Nearing 100k maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 05:23 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,673 Likes on 1,368 Posts
Nearing 100k maintenance

Truck turned over 90k yesterday so it's nearing the time to do some 100k maintenance within the next month.
I was at Rock Auto site looking for plugs, shocks, brake pads for the 2021 F350 7.3. I've never been there before but see alot of posts about them and the prices seem to be very reasonable even with shipping added in or atleast cheaper than the local auto store chains and Amazon.

I'm staying in the Monroe line of shock. They have always accomplished the job to my liking at a reasonable price, I've tried Rancho and Bilstein and couldn't tell the difference for the extra buy in price.

Sparkplugs will be MC SP589 (oem), Wagner brakes front/ rear, air filter and of course another oil change. This oil change I'm going to send a sample in and see what Blackstone says about it with 7-8k miles on it.

$246.11 + $35.98 shipping. Total $282.09 that's not to shabby. Should be able to do it in a day and enjoy a cold one or two by the campfire if no mishaps..😉

My shop rate is much cheaper than the dealer. Considerable savings if you're able to and don't mind getting up close and personal with your truck.

.WAGNER SX16

WAGNER SX1

The following 4 users liked this post by scraprat:
Old 02-05-2023, 10:27 AM
rvpuller
Received 472 Likes on 305 Posts
The only thing I would personally change is the Wagner pads, I have not had good experience with them under heavy towing use because they would fad and sound like you were killing a pig. I'm using Performance Friction carbon metallic.

Denny

Old 02-05-2023, 11:55 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
I've used Wagner along time ago and didn't remember anything bad about them. I normally just use NAPA gold or one of the mid price ones but seeing I'm ordering I'm doing the one stop shop.

I was looking at the Bendix brand MKD1691FM (rear), MKD1680FM (front).

Usally with brakes I'm changing them out at the 50-60k area (once a year) or when they start making a bunch of noise, I'm surprised that these original ones have 90k on them and still stop good and no noise.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:04 PM
Ry Guy
Tuned
Received 241 Likes on 123 Posts
Appreciate the info. Than you for sharing!

Old 02-05-2023, 08:02 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,536 Likes on 951 Posts
I've always used Motorcraft brake pads and typically get ~100k miles out of them.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-06-2023, 09:01 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,344 Likes on 1,182 Posts
I would be replacing the brake rotors at the same time. 100k miles is a lot, have you measured them to see how close to minimum they are?

I will be coming up on 60k this spring. I can't think of any parts that really need replaced but pretty much all of the fluids will get changed. Brake fluid, Coolant, Diff fluids, Trans fluid/filter, T-case fluid, Engine oil, PS fluid... maybe spark plugs.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:20 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RidgwaySD
I would be replacing the brake rotors at the same time. 100k miles is a lot, have you measured them to see how close to minimum they are?

I will be coming up on 60k this spring. I can't think of any parts that really need replaced but pretty much all of the fluids will get changed. Brake fluid, Coolant, Diff fluids, Trans fluid/filter, T-case fluid, Engine oil, PS fluid... maybe spark plugs.
I have never changed a rotor on any truck I ever owned before 200k except once and it warped early in its life. I'm well over million miles in these trucks. At 200k or so then rotors get changed and possibly calipers, just depends on how long I think I'll keep driving the truck. The other fluids I'll change later this year at my leisure and when time permits. This is what I've always done on all my trucks with all going 225k - 300k miles since "88" driving F250s or F350s during my ownership.

The following 3 users liked this post by scraprat:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:10 PM
d7velo1
More Turbo
Received 395 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Truck turned over 90k yesterday so it's nearing the time to do some 100k maintenance within the next month.
I was at Rock Auto site looking for plugs, shocks, brake pads for the 2021 F350 7.3. I've never been there before but see alot of posts about them and the prices seem to be very reasonable even with shipping added in or atleast cheaper than the local auto store chains and Amazon.

I'm staying in the Monroe line of shock. They have always accomplished the job to my liking at a reasonable price, I've tried Rancho and Bilstein and couldn't tell the difference for the extra buy in price.

Sparkplugs will be MC SP589 (oem), Wagner brakes front/ rear, air filter and of course another oil change. This oil change I'm going to send a sample in and see what Blackstone says about it with 7-8k miles on it.

$246.11 + $35.98 shipping. Total $282.09 that's not to shabby. Should be able to do it in a day and enjoy a cold one or two by the campfire if no mishaps..😉

My shop rate is much cheaper than the dealer. Considerable savings if you're able to and don't mind getting up close and personal with your truck.1
Sounds fun.
I really enjoy doing my own maintenance as well.

If you don't mind, please post the results of the 7.3L Blackstone oil analysis. Curious how it looks at 100k miles.

What has your average oil change interval been?

Old 02-07-2023, 08:45 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by d7velo1
Sounds fun.
I really enjoy doing my own maintenance as well.

If you don't mind, please post the results of the 7.3L Blackstone oil analysis. Curious how it looks at 100k miles.

What has your average oil change interval been?
Parts ordered and should have them by the end of next week when I get back from work.

90,425 miles now probably rack up another 1,000 miles.

I will post the results good or bad from the oil analysis when I get it back.

These have been the oil changes_ oil filter (MC 820s), 8 quarts oil (MC 5w30 semi synthetic).
8,284 odometer
17,983 odometer (9,699 miles)
26,211 odometer (8,228 miles)
34,965 odometer (8,754 miles)
43,284 odometer (8,319 miles)
51,762 odometer (8,478 miles) Oil life still showed 15% on the display
60,607 odometer (8,845 miles) 12%
68,291 odometer (7,684 miles) 23%
78,141 odometer (9,850 miles) 0%
84,370 odometer (6,229 miles) 38%

The following 3 users liked this post by scraprat:
Old 02-19-2023, 09:53 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Today was a productive day took about 5 hours. Truck has 92,147 miles. Changed the oil and took a sample for Blackstone, I'll mail that out sometime this week.

Changed the front and rear brake pads. For the miles they weren't to bad and the rotors are great shape. All slide pins cleaned and a new dose of grease on them.

Front and rear shocks weren't leaking and still had good compression. Plus, changed the steering stabilizer with a Monroe brand.
Monroe Reflex on the front.

Monroe Magnum on the rear.

One of my helpers throughout the day. The other one is always looking for lizards.

All in all it went pretty good but I do miss the polebarn with the concrete floor when it comes to these big jobs.

I didn't get to the plugs yet. I need to make a run to my storage unit and get the compressor so the plug wells can get a good cleaning before removing the plugs, don't want anything entering the engine down the plug holes. I'll post the plugs when I change them. It looks to be pretty straightforward to change them.

The following 8 users liked this post by scraprat:
4wheelsandahitch, Cragtor, FishOnOne, last5oh_302, OBS460, philips, Ry Guy, Tom and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2023, 02:10 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 401 Likes on 223 Posts
Any specific reason you did the brake job? Were you experiencing fading, noise, or another issue? If the rotors were good, and the pads still have lots of life left, not sure I'm following your reasoning.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:28 PM
rvpuller
Received 472 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by kry226
Any specific reason you did the brake job? Were you experiencing fading, noise, or another issue? If the rotors were good, and the pads still have lots of life left, not sure I'm following your reasoning.
I've run Ford F250&F350 Ford truck for both work and play for 45 years and have never replaced a turned a rotor but it have replaced pads at 50% wear because I found you will get more heat dispassion and less rotor wear doing so.

Denny

The following 2 users liked this post by rvpuller:
Old 02-21-2023, 07:59 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Denny I'm in the same boat for rotors never turned one and other than one replaced that warped on my 88 so changed the fronts.

@kry226 Mileage is why. Brake pads are cheap at $75 for front and rear at 92k miles, that is a steal for preventative maintenance. If you're going to regrease the slide pins which should be part of maintenance why not change the shoes at those miles, especially if doing it yourself.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:35 AM
CheeseheadFord
Fleet Mechanic
Received 634 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Denny I'm in the same boat for rotors never turned one and other than one replaced that warped on my 88 so changed the fronts.

@kry226 Mileage is why. Brake pads are cheap at $75 for front and rear at 92k miles, that is a steal for preventative maintenance. If you're going to regrease the slide pins which should be part of maintenance why not change the shoes at those miles, especially if doing it yourself.
Any idea how much pad you had left? I'm with kry on this as I don't follow the logic if your pads and rotors were in decent shape still. 75 bucks is 75 bucks whether you're throwing it out the window or using it on something useful.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:10 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CheeseheadFord
Any idea how much pad you had left? I'm with kry on this as I don't follow the logic if your pads and rotors were in decent shape still. 75 bucks is 75 bucks whether you're throwing it out the window or using it on something useful.
Look at pics and judge for yourself. To me $75 put back into the operations of my truck is worth it and I won't have to think about brakes now for another 2 years or 100k+/- miles. I'll look when rotating wheels but that's it.

By penny pinching logic my shocks still showed life even at 92k, I should of used them till they started oozing juice and replace maybe at a not so convenient time. No thanks, I'll change at my convenience and if $75 is going to break the bank you are driving the wrong vehicle when parts cost $$.

Not counting oil changes and a couple air filters.
I'll easily waste this money every 2 years for my preventive maintenance and not think twice about it. It's the cost of owning a truck and using it for work/ play.

If you guys need the brake pads I still have them in the truck I'll be in Needles, CA in a couple days, come and get them.

Quick Reply: Nearing 100k maintenance