Forscan

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 06:01 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,247 Likes on 820 Posts
Forscan

OK techies,

I need to be educated on Forscan. It seems that Forscan keeps coming up on here more and more even for simple maintenance items such as battery replacement. It's somewhat concerning to me that you need to tell your truck that it has a new battery or that some other piece of maintenance has been done in order for the vehicle to learn / relearn what has been accomplished. Anyway, it's the way of the future and now it's time for me to get on board.

So, I want to purchase a Forscan module and use it with my Galaxy S9.

1. What do I need in order to accomplish this?

2. Best source of supply? I'm reading of knockoff versions on the market.

3. Is it worth the money? I don't intend to modify the truck in any manner from it's original state.

4. If I had to replace a sensor or spark plugs, do I need to tell the truck that this has been done?

Thank you all for your input and yes, I am far behind the times.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:42 AM
Captain Rage
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a cheap elm327 Bluetooth adapter with an ms-can switch and can see some modules in Forscan and can adjust setting in the Apim, bcm, read for codes, etc, but I cannot view all modules with my adapter. Im looking at the Obdlink mx or mx+ now.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:46 AM
Captain Rage
Cross-Country
I have a cheap elm327 Bluetooth adapter with an ms-can switch and can see some modules in Forscan and can adjust setting in the Apim, bcm, read for codes, etc, but I cannot view all modules with my adapter. Im looking at the Obdlink mx or mx+ now.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:12 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Tim,

I can't speak to the mobile versions of forscan but if I remember the FAQs correctly, only the paid version of mobile (phone) will allow register modifications.

I use this adapter with Windows 10 laptop and it works great.
Amazon Amazon
you'll need to download forscan and register on the site to activate a "extended license" that will last a few months. Registering is free and you can use a burner account if you like.

There's 2 methods of modifications - the plain text which spells things out in English and changing register values. Both methods I recommend backing up your as builts before starting so you can revert back.

You don't "need" forscan to do anything maintenance related ,even that battery state will relearn with 8hrs uninterrupted "sleep" as per the manual. You don't need it for sensor swaps.

I don't believe the last gen trucks has as many modifications available as the 15+ some examples of things I've done on my 18:

Enable Bambi mode (lowbeam, highbeam and fog on)
Tones to ICP speaker
Global windows open/close from key fob (press then hold lock rolls windows up, unlock then hold rolls down. Works for drivers and passenger, not rear)
Disable door ajar warning while in park
IPC quick boot (Disables "Ford" animation at startup)
Disable "doo-doo-doo" Start up chimes
Re-enable autolock control in menu (some 2018s shipped with this missing)
Disable backup sensors
Increase lane change flashes to 5

I'd give this a read: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Hope this helps, typing between diaper changes on the newborn

The following 5 users liked this post by Robbgt:
Old 01-05-2020, 07:15 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Forscan is a Windows based software product. There are Android/IOS versions, but will not let you modify any settings. If you want to modify anything, you will need a Windows laptop. You also need a ELM327 adapter that plugs into the OBDII connector on you vehicle and then connects to a USB port on your laptop. You may want to take a peek at the Forscan thread here -> https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forsc...-truck-348987/. It has a tutorial on how to setup and use Forscan. There is also a google spread sheet that list all of the known functions for Ford F150 my2015/my2019 that can be accomplished via Forscan.

Enjoy

The following 2 users liked this post by storage_man:
Old 01-05-2020, 11:25 AM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
storage_man nailed it. Without Windows, Forscan is just a tool to look at stuff.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:05 PM
JKBrad
Received 820 Likes on 603 Posts
We don't have a Forscan sticky and we need one. A place where everyone can post the mods they made and the values needed to make it happen. If someone has a spreadsheet or a link to one. post it here.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Captain Rage
Cross-Country
Old 01-06-2020, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,247 Likes on 820 Posts
You guys are all awesome!! Thanks for not making me feel like a dumbazz.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:05 AM
FSTBLL42
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there anyone on this forum that is from or around Tulsa OK? I have the same OBII as posted above but can only see a couple of folders. I have done the Bambi and the honk disable on my 2016 F150 King Ranch Ecoboost but would really like to have the Lincoln style mirrors fold (I have the OEM Max Tow Mirrors)

Thanks,
Travis

Old 01-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by FSTBLL42
Is there anyone on this forum that is from or around Tulsa OK? I have the same OBII as posted above but can only see a couple of folders. I have done the Bambi and the honk disable on my 2016 F150 King Ranch Ecoboost but would really like to have the Lincoln style mirrors fold (I have the OEM Max Tow Mirrors)

Thanks,
Travis
Unfortunately, I am not in your area. What adapter are you using? Does it have a MS-CAN / HS-CAN Toggle Switch? That is needed to access all folders.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:28 PM
FSTBLL42
Cross-Country

OBD2 USB Device ELM327 Compatible Interface with HS-CAN/MS-CAN Switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda Ford ELMconfig OBD2 Scanner.

It does have the toggle but I could not get the DDM or PDM modules to appear.

Thank you,

Old 01-18-2020, 11:25 AM
Noobe
New User
Imported Canadian truck

I'd like to start by saying thank you to those that have taken the time to post all of the information they have learned about Forscan! Reading this forum over the last several days has convinced me to download the software and order a OBDLink EX adapter cable.
I plan to add the Lincoln style autofold mirrors (this should have been factory! or at least an available option), the reverse tilt mirrors, disable the double horn honk and global window open/close mods along with a couple more.
I wouldn't have even considered doing any of this if not for the detailed explanations on here! I can't wait for the adapter to arrive!

I have been reading posts on this thread for a couple days and haven't seen anything that adresses my situation yet, but I apologize if it has been. There is a lot of posts to go through! I have a 2015 Lariat that was originally a Canadian lease truck. I bought it in 2016 with less than 18,000 miles on her. I love this truck! But there is one thing I would also love to change. Every time I start the truck, the digital speedometer defaults to kilometers per hour. Has anyone found a way to change this to miles per hour? This can be changed back and forth by pressing the OK button on the steering wheel, but has to be done every time I start the truck. The dealer swapped the analog display before I bought the truck, so that has the MPH on the outside and the KPH on the inside like other US trucks. When I first bought the truck, all of the display was in French, and I had to pull a fuse to get it to reset so I could change the default language to English, but the digital speedometer still defaults to KPH.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Captain Rage
Cross-Country
Noobe,
i just got my Obdlink ex and it is fantastic. Just added a factory Trailer brake controller today and Bambi mode. I am sure there's a setting to do what you want in one of the modules that show up.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:36 AM
jake415
Tuned
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts
Noobe, did you ever solve your issue? I am having an issue as well and having trouble figuring this out.

So I downloaded the latest version of FORScan 2.3.31 on March 22, 2020 with the free 2 month trial, and purchased an OBDLink EX USB cable from Amazon and connected it to my 2017 F-150 XLT.

First thing I did once everything was up and running was attempt a backup of all the "as bulit" modules. It was smooth sailing until I got to the IPC (instrument panel cluster) and approx 30% of the way into that backup I got the "service interrupted" message and couldn't get past that.

I researched the thread and other forums and saw that other people were having the same issue a few years ago with earlier software versions. I have the very latest version and I would expect that previous bugs have been worked out of the software by now.

Anybody have any ideas whats going wrong here? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Forscan