Sponsored by: Moser

Skyjacker Lift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 03:43 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Skyjacker Lift Kit

The truck is a 1975 F250 4x4 390 (verified) C6 Crew Cab with 35's.

So, I've been searching the forums looking for information regarding both the 2" and 4" lift kits from Skyjacker. Unfortunately most of the threads are quite old and have a lot of broken links for pictures. Several pertinent threads ended without updates

My crew cab is about the ride height I want, but the rear is a bit lower than the front and it rides extremely rough. It has a 10 leaf stack that is very stiff in the rear. The front looks stock. I'm hoping to soften the ride at least a little and improve the stance. Tires are 35's.

I'm hoping some of the current members here that have these kits installed could comment on how they are working out. Also front and rear measurements from the center of the wheel to the bottom fender would be great so that I can pick the correct kit. I am thinking the 2" kit would be right for me but I would like to verify. I don't want to go much higher than I am now, and hopefully not much lower either.

And of course, pictures would be great!

Here is my current leaf spring setup:

Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I can’t quite tell but your rear springs seem to have some leafs with tapered ends and some without. If this is true you have a “custom” leaf pack with some add a leafs stuck in there.

How many leafs are are on your front springs? Stock highboy springs should have 6 leafs.

For reference what size tires are you running? A stock highboy with 35” tires will sit with the top of the tire about even to the top of the front bumper.

my guess is you have about 3-4” of lift already.

Stock highboy springs will bring your truck down quite a bit.

To soften the ride you need springs with a softer spring rate but this may sacrifice some load carting ablility unless you use air bags along with your springs.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:22 AM
maddogjohnson
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Hey Doug,

Check out my build thread, page 5, for before and after pictures with most of what you are looking for. My truck is also a 75 F-250, 4x4, 390 stroked to 431ci, C6, crew cab on 35's. I initially had the factory springs and installed the 4" skyjacker springs last 4th of July.

I have pretty much no bumpsteer using the stock 1975 pitman arm. I've been trying to locate a longer 76 - 77.5 pitman arm but have not found one for a decent price. Just eyeballing our pics I'd say your truck is a tad bit lower than mine with the 4" skyjacker springs installed. I will say that my springs are not 100% even. My drivers side sits a bit lower than the passenger side but overall I like the stance and function.

However, I will say with 35" tires and the 4" skyjacker lift getting into the truck is close to the top of my ease of entry limit w/o steps and I'm over 6' tall. The wife and kids often need help getting in with the 35" tires and 4" lift. I may go up to 37" tires when the 35" wear out. I have a set of long bully style steps to install, (for the front only) but I've not installed them because I'd rather put a set of amp research powersteps on. The powerstep XL is probably more appropriate but finding a nicely priced used set that fits is an exercise in craigslist searching patience.

I'll be up in your neck of the woods for work tomorrow. I have more pics from my install that I can try to upload in this thread on either my flight up or back tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:29 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
Most any spring shop will sell short cutoffs to use as height spacers in any spring width. You will need longer center bolts to go with them. Yours doesn't look that low but I'd still get 4 just incase. You can always take 2 back if you don't need them.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:32 AM
9thPony
Elder User
Originally Posted by buckin69bronco
I can’t quite tell but your rear springs seem to have some leafs with tapered ends and some without. If this is true you have a “custom” leaf pack with some add a leafs stuck in there.

How many leafs are are on your front springs? Stock highboy springs should have 6 leafs.

For reference what size tires are you running? A stock highboy with 35” tires will sit with the top of the tire about even to the top of the front bumper.

my guess is you have about 3-4” of lift already.

Stock highboy springs will bring your truck down quite a bit.

To soften the ride you need springs with a softer spring rate but this may sacrifice some load carting ablility unless you use air bags along with your springs.
Thanks for the inputs!
I was thinking the same thing about the added leafs, which is also probably contributing to the rough ride. I had a stock 75 f250 4x4 that was about 2 or 3 inches lower at least.

The truck is riding on 35" tires which I plan on sticking with. The fronts are using a 7 leaf pack.

I also have suspicion that the PO installed a body lift on the cab as well but I need to figure out what stock measurements on the cab mount should be to compare against. If so I'd probably revert back to stock which would level it better.

If the Skyjacker springs sag a bit more than my liking under load I'd probably look at air bags like you mentioned for load leveling.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:53 AM
9thPony
Elder User
Originally Posted by maddogjohnson
Hey Doug,

Check out my build thread, page 5, for before and after pictures with most of what you are looking for. My truck is also a 75 F-250, 4x4, 390 stroked to 431ci, C6, crew cab on 35's. I initially had the factory springs and installed the 4" skyjacker springs last 4th of July.
Thanks for the detailed information! I haven't checked out your thread in a little while so looks like I missed a lot of updates. The Skyjacker spring information is very informative. You are correct in that your lift looks to be a bit higher than mine. Since I'm sticking with 35's I'm debating if the 2" lift would suit my needs better than the 4".

At my current lift, I have to lift my wife in and to get out she has to slide out on her stomach. I have already bought the Bully steps as well but have not yet installed. I had similar thoughts about the power-step - that would be a great mod.

The next time you have a chance could you measure the center of the wheel hub to bottom of the fender? I don't see this information anywhere in these forums so I think it would be useful for many considering this lift kit.

I'll have to go through your build thread again as I skimmed through it to get to the Skyjacker stuff.

Thanks agian for the information and awesome truck

Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Following along for interest.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:24 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 9thPony
Thanks for the inputs!
I was thinking the same thing about the added leafs, which is also probably contributing to the rough ride. I had a stock 75 f250 4x4 that was about 2 or 3 inches lower at least.

The truck is riding on 35" tires which I plan on sticking with. The fronts are using a 7 leaf pack.

I also have suspicion that the PO installed a body lift on the cab as well but I need to figure out what stock measurements on the cab mount should be to compare against. If so I'd probably revert back to stock which would level it better.

If the Skyjacker springs sag a bit more than my liking under load I'd probably look at air bags like you mentioned for load leveling.
I don’t believe you have a body lift. The frame is covered up by the body and the front bumper is lining up with the body like stock. With a body lift you end up with the front bumper looking like it’s lower than the body (unless bumper raisers are added to the front of the frame) and a lot more frame showing.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:13 PM
maddogjohnson
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 9thPony
At my current lift, I have to lift my wife in and to get out she has to slide out on her stomach. I have already bought the Bully steps as well but have not yet installed. I had similar thoughts about the power-step - that would be a great mod.

The next time you have a chance could you measure the center of the wheel hub to bottom of the fender? I don't see this information anywhere in these forums so I think it would be useful for many considering this lift kit.
I snapped a few "after" pictures today. I'll upload them to flickr, dig up my "before" photos and upload them all with some sense of organization hopefully later tonight.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:05 PM
maddogjohnson
Laughing Gas
As previously mentioned, my passenger side sits a bit higher than my driver side. Now I know by how much, at least in the rear. As it sits today my passenger side is 0.75" higher than my driver side. These measurements are from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip. Tires are Pro Comp Alloys - Series 1069, 17x9 w/MasterCraft Courser MXT, 35x12.50 R17. Overall tire diameter is 34.76."

Driver Side Rear Fender Pre Lift - 40.75"

Driver Side Rear Fender Post Lift - 43.75" (Difference of 3.00" )

Passenger Side Rear Fender Pre Lift - 41.00"

Passenger Side Rear Fender Post Lift - 44.75" (Difference of 3.75")

Difference between driver and passenger side pre lift 0.75"
Difference between driver and passenger side post lift 1.00"

Old 02-17-2019, 07:52 PM
maddogjohnson
Laughing Gas
These measurements are from the center of the rear hub to the bottom of the fender lip. Tires are Pro Comp Alloys - Series 1069, 17x9 w/MasterCraft Courser MXT, 35x12.50 R17. Overall tire diameter is 34.76."

Driver Side Center of Rear Hub to Fender Lip Pre Lift - 24.00"
Driver Side Center of Rear Hub to Fender Lip Post Lift - 27.00 " (Difference of 3.00" )

Passenger Side Center of Rear Hub to Fender Lip Pre Lift - 24.75"
Passenger Side Center of Rear Hub to Fender Lip Post Lift - 28.00" (Difference of 3.25" )

Old 02-17-2019, 07:57 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Originally Posted by maddogjohnson
These measurements are from the center of the rear hub to the bottom of the fender lip. Tires are Pro Comp Alloys - Series 1069, 17x9 w/MasterCraft Courser MXT, 35x12.50 R17. Overall tire diameter is 34.76."

Driver Side Center of Rear Hub to Fender Lip Pre Lift - 24.00"
Driver Side Center of Rear Hub to Fender Lip Post Lift - 27.00 " (Difference of 3.00" )

Passenger Side Center of Rear Hub to Fender Lip Pre Lift - 24.75"
Passenger Side Center of Rear Hub to Fender Lip Post Lift - 28.00" (Difference of 3.25" )

Thanks for the measurements! This will be very helpful when I decide what to do about mt truck.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 PM
maddogjohnson
Laughing Gas
Happy to help. Here are a bunch of comparison shots for reference. Post up your before and after shots once you have em all.

Before lift driver side:

Only rear lift installed driver side:

After lift driver side:

Before lift passenger side:

Only rear lift installed passenger side:

After lift passenger side:

Old 04-08-2019, 11:30 PM
montrealford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you buy 4 inch skyjacker (f724s) check the lenght of it. Me i buy a set and one of them are differnt suppose to be 26 inch eye to center bolt and the other 27 1/2 , me one are 27 and 27 1/2 . I email skyjacker nobody answer me...