1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

retorqued injectors...suddenly a gurgle after crank???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 12:36 AM
donnybrasco
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
retorqued injectors...suddenly a gurgle after crank???

OK. I'm reaching out for some advice on what my plan of attack should be.

Halfway through a compression test with all glow plugs out I decided to take a break from that testing and retorque the rocker arm bolts, upper and lower (forgot names) injector bolts. About 3 were loose at the 80lb-ft setting. One particular injector gave me a sudden rush of fight or flight adrenaline with my signature expletive. As I recall, there may have been a "pop" or "click" with a very loosen top injector bolt. I built up the courage to continue torquing to about 110-120lb-in without issue.

After continuing the compression testing, I noticed gurgling from the engine after cranking and releasing.
Memory can be unreliable but I'm positive that wasn't happening before the torque down session. To throw in a curve ball, I did drain the fuel bowl half way to replace the rubber seal. Fuel was seeping out the top...

Everything else was smooth as far as I can tell. Compression was all in the range of 360-380 and 390-410. The range is because there is a magic number of 5 rotations so I recorded pressure at 5 and what it topped out at.

was a easy win as well.
Pictures of my injectors and under the VC for whom ever is interested, as well.

I'm backing off to prevent any possible self inflicted damage the wallet. I do have AE to leverage for testing. How should I proceed to address this gurgle?

Last edited by donnybrasco; 03-20-2018 at 12:44 AM. Reason: linking videos from flicker is not playing nice
Old 03-20-2018, 06:03 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
These things make all kinds of stomach growls, particularly when the glow plugs are out. That sounded no different than any compression test I've ever done - I'd carry on.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:47 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I would also add to do a buzz and start it up with VC off and observe everything before buttoning it back up.

Denny

Old 03-20-2018, 02:00 PM
donnybrasco
Cross-Country
What a sigh of relief! Stripping a bolt was the first scare. The injector seemed to seat "further", hopefully in the intended location, was my second worry.

Either way, I will fire it up tonight.
What am I looking for with the valve covers off?

Old 03-20-2018, 02:28 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
See if anything noticeably wrong is going on (loose, broken). Also to see that a little oil is regularly coming out of the oil spout.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm confused, Did you pull the injectors. Didn't think you could get to upper bolts with the injectors installed. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Old 03-20-2018, 04:31 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
I'm confused, Did you pull the injectors. Didn't think you could get to upper bolts with the injectors installed. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong
You are correct. You can't get to them with the injectors installed.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:56 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
The only bolts at the top end of the injector would be the oil spout bolts. I can see how 120 in-lbs could cause a pop / crack noise. Donny you might want to make sure you didn't break an oil spout. Don't want pieces coming loose after you close up and floating around in there.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 PM
donnybrasco
Cross-Country
I did not pull the injectors.
I only pulled the VC, removed glow plugs, started compression test. Half way through I took a break and retorqued rocker arm bolts and injector bolts. then finished compression test.

This was the bolt that gave me a scare. (fuel injector hold down plate bolt) Was tightening to about ~110inlb, went loose, then retorqued again. I read these injectors need to be seated properly before torquing down and I'm assuming the previous person did not do this. OR something bad happened ?!?!

I'm about to fire this truck up with VC off. I will take a video and follow up.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:09 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
That's not an injector hold down bolt, that's the oil deflector bolt, and if you went 120 inch pounds you went too much.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:37 PM
donnybrasco
Cross-Country
Well that is not the first time mixing up words. My mistake on mixing that up.
Rewinding in my mind, nothing may have moved after all. What the brain perceives and what really happens doesn't always match up....

Is it better to leave it at this point?
The data shows 9ftlbs. It definitely torqued back down to 110inlb-120inlb. I agree that was too much.

Links with motor running VCs off. It starts up rough but that is from air in the fuel rail. Last weekend I drained the bowl and changed the rubber seal for the lid.
Does everything sound normal from the video?
I will finish buttoning it up and drive the truck tomorrow.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Looks and sounds normal to me. I always hot-torque my injectors before I button it up.

I'd pull the Rice Crispy oil spout to make sure it's not going to fall apart under the valve covers. If it's still solid, install it.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:43 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
The engine sounds normal but is your vacuum pump running the whole time? If it is that is not normal. I had a vacuum leak that had the pump running constantly and it burned up (they are not designed for continuous operation). I am uber-sensitive to this once I found out how much Ford wants for that unit.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by donnybrasco
The data shows 9ftlbs. It definitely torqued back down to 110inlb-120inlb. I agree that was too much.
9 ft-lb = 108 in-lb. The spec sheet you copied shows the very minor 1 ft-lb difference between the hold down and the oil spout bolt. No worries there.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 PM
donnybrasco
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
The only bolts at the top end of the injector would be the oil spout bolts. I can see how 120 in-lbs could cause a pop / crack noise. Donny you might want to make sure you didn't break an oil spout. Don't want pieces coming loose after you close up and floating around in there.
I noted the experience in my log book for the next time I'm dealing with that injector and oil spout. I will deal with whatever I need to. Especially with the help of you all. (I want to type yall). It is funny you mention this because when I reinspected the oil spout bolt, the ziptie closest to that corresponding injector fell off. It's as if I didn't have enough stress already. I was able to fish the broken ziptie out. phew.

Originally Posted by brian42
The engine sounds normal but is your vacuum pump running the whole time? If it is that is not normal. I had a vacuum leak that had the pump running constantly and it burned up (they are not designed for continuous operation). I am uber-sensitive to this once I found out how much Ford wants for that unit.
Thanks for pointing this out! It does run for at least a few minutes... I don't know what is a normal run time. Assuming the system integrity is proven maybe the pump is getting weak?
I tested the integrity of the vacuum system up to 13 or 15 PSI and it held for at least 15 minutes. Hmm. Thinking back there was one time the vacuum finished and I heard an audible air "sipping" sound. I was never able to repeat that symptom with the vacuum test....so maybe it is unrelated.
I will retest. That is an easy test.